Sense At Last

dixie

I rode a no stop trial recently that had a 2 or 3 ft step at the end of a rocky stream. On one go I didn't get the run up right and got my five as I knew I hadn't got the drive to get up it. I had another look at the line. Unluckily this was the same time as a rider got of line but went for it anyway. The end result was I got hit by a flying bike and ended up getting dragged down the section. The section was ridable no stop as I did it twice myself. For me sat here with a torn clothes, fractured rib, cuts all over me and deep purple bruising I wonder if I'd still have a go anyway knowing I was way of line. The answer is yes I possibly would as I did it a while ago in a big no stop trial. I looped the bike and sent it towards various spectators. Given the option to take the one for a stop I'd of composed myself and made a better judgement (jack it in) or a better attempt. I'm fairly certain that in the same trial under stop = 1 or stop rules the rider that took me out would of stopped and had a more composed go. The skill is in keeping forward motion, but bikes flying all over the shop because we've had a go anyway worries me a little especially down the classes.

By the way I know this is a freak one off (hopefully) accident but the worse rider we are, the slower we make decisions. So I can completely understand a beginner being daunted by the need to keep moving at all costs rather than have a momentary pause.

Just like last time I'll ride whatever the rules as I love trials but being from a biketrial background I'll always love the agility of that style.

You cant honestly tell me you think it is right someone should risk injury to get a clean ,its a trial not a initiation ceromony.the guy crashed because the section was dangerous,simple as that ,thats the peoblem...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dabster i tried to answer you question but could not quote it for som reason,

I stopped going to the wtc when you had to start paying,probably early 90s wales ,myther up dowllais quarry,jordi on the beta.

I noticed that John Dickinson at TMX had jumped on the "no-stop" bandwagon myself and have corrected him about the Yorkshire Centre Rules. The Clubs are split on which rules are run at their trials with YG, Bradford, Spen, West Leeds, Horsforth, Falcons, And Craven running TSR22A and Richmond, Wetherby, Ripon, BUMPY and Hillsborough running No-Stop. Centre Trials run to the Clubs preference.

I also had a few words with a couple of "club" riders today who riding in West Yorkshire club Trials decided to try a few Richmond and Ripon Trials to try "no stop". Ripon only tend to run Novice beginners so they went and tried a few different Richmond Trials. The views were pretty consistant with most of the riders I have talked to previously. Mostly they found the Trials to be OK excepting that some sections were difficult to do without at least a hesitation or a grounded sump at which point they found they were fived. This would have been taken in good heart excepting that they noticed that some "local" riders seemed to get away with slightly more than that. This was pretty prevalent amongst the "older" observers. Hence as far as they are concerned they prefer the 22A rules. None of these riders could be called a "hopper" as they fall under the "older" rider category but they were keen to try "endos" and "hopping" to improve their scores and see it as useful in "No stop" as again some of the sections didn't take a "riding" approach.

As for paying to watch Trials it does tend to show up Trials riders as stingy Gits again. How many riders never actually join more than one club then enter other clubs promising to pay the membership later, whinge at the

Edited by Telecat

the guy crashed because the section was dangerous,simple as that ,thats the peoblem...

How can you say that if you haven't even seen the section. Apologies if you have.

In my opinion the section wasn't dangerous, obviously it depends on what you consider dangerous, if your a politician it would be dangerous but then just riding a bike is considered dangerous to them.

In response to billycraig if the rules had allowed you to stop and hop, the section would probably have been going up to the side of that step where it is more like a 7ft high step that in my opinion probably would be dangerous, hence why it's run no stop.

When I lay out the hard route I like to make it challenging for myself and allow slightly lesser riders the chance of cleaning it, I don't think I could do it under the stop and hop rules, I think we would end up with another route (elites).

Mostly they found the Trials to be OK excepting that some sections were difficult to do without at least a hesitation or a grounded sump at which point they found they were fived. This would have been taken in good heart excepting that they noticed that some "local" riders seemed to get away with slightly more than that. This was pretty prevalent amongst the "older" observers. Hence as far as they are concerned they prefer the 22A rules.

You'd probably find those same observers (probably the best) would five them for going backwards under the stop and hop rules, you are always going to find people who say he got away with that and I didn't, so I don't think that has got anything to do with the rules.

You cant honestly tell me you think it is right someone should risk injury to get a clean ,its a trial not a initiation ceromony.the guy crashed because the section was dangerous,simple as that ,thats the peoblem...

The section wasn't dangerous it was a straight line run over rocks at a step most riders made it up at some point and it even took a few fives of the top guys. However anything can happen in a section and when your wheel kick out and puts you off line its a split second decision to decide what you do next. If it had been full no stop then its right the section would of been up a far bigger rock, but I still think if a moments hesitation had been allowed he would of realized he had no chance or maybe composed himself for a one.

Just been to a stop for a 1 trial this afternoon and most the observers (me included) ended up being very lenient with what a stop was as the sections were pretty tight. The better riders defiantly have the ability to momentarily stop leaving the observer with a brave decision.

Edited by billycraig

Just been to a stop for a 1 trial this afternoon and most the observers (me included) ended up being very lenient with what a stop was as the sections were pretty tight. The better riders defiantly have the ability to momentarily stop leaving the observer with a brave decision.

Where was that? I didn't think that ruling was allowed.

You'd probably find those same observers (probably the best) would five them for going backwards under the stop and hop rules, you are always going to find people who say he got away with that and I didn't, so I don't think that has got anything to do with the rules.

I'd say that they are not always (the best), and don't forget they also seem to be "selective" about who gets the 3 and who gets a 5. A name was dropped into the conversation who had a very "hesitant" ride and who got a 3 when the previous rider had fived the section with "less hesitation". I also follow my son aronud and have noticed similar "marking" and I do not discount some observers at YG Trials either. In fact one of these observers, (not YG), caused a section at a TSR22A section to be scrapped as they refused to mark correctly!!!

Edited by Telecat

I'd say that they are not always (the best)

I'd say ............................fair play to anyone who is good enough to grab a board or a hole punch and stands there for hours on end, maybe not getting a decision right to suit the rider, then gets the verbal abuse to tell him that his or her decision is wrong?

Hell sounds like a real pleasure to observe nowadays? I can see why they are queueing up to grab that observers board at the begining of the trial (must get thete early)...................but we know that its always a struggle?

I wonder why?

Would you argue the other way if you had 2 dabs and when asking the observer he says ''just the 1''......works both ways???

Edited by GIZZA5

Dabster i tried to answer you question but could not quote it for som reason,

I stopped going to the wtc when you had to start paying,probably early 90s wales ,myther up dowllais quarry,jordi on the beta.

Which probably explains a lot.

We live in 2009 and nothing much is free in the real world. To be passionate about a sport and not be prepared to part with a few quid once over so many years to see the best, defies belief.

Having seen Dougie at his best has been worth every penny.IMHO.

Haven't you heard the expression?

"Trials riders don't pay!"

Trials is still the cheapest form of motorsport, aren't we all lucky?

We get folks to stand out on hillsides with either pencils or punches to give us our sport, best they get is a "thanks for observing!"

I think we should thank our lucky stars we still have a sport!

Big John

I noticed that John Dickinson at TMX had jumped on the "no-stop" bandwagon myself and have corrected him about the Yorkshire Centre Rules. The Clubs are split on which rules are run at their trials with YG, Bradford, Spen, West Leeds, Horsforth, Falcons, And Craven running TSR22A and Richmond, Wetherby, Ripon, BUMPY and Hillsborough running No-Stop. Centre Trials run to the Clubs preference.

I also had a few words with a couple of "club" riders today who riding in West Yorkshire club Trials decided to try a few Richmond and Ripon Trials to try "no stop". Ripon only tend to run Novice beginners so they went and tried a few different Richmond Trials. The views were pretty consistant with most of the riders I have talked to previously. Mostly they found the Trials to be OK excepting that some sections were difficult to do without at least a hesitation or a grounded sump at which point they found they were fived. This would have been taken in good heart excepting that they noticed that some "local" riders seemed to get away with slightly more than that. This was pretty prevalent amongst the "older" observers. Hence as far as they are concerned they prefer the 22A rules. None of these riders could be called a "hopper" as they fall under the "older" rider category but they were keen to try "endos" and "hopping" to improve their scores and see it as useful in "No stop" as again some of the sections didn't take a "riding" approach.

As for paying to watch Trials it does tend to show up Trials riders as stingy Gits again. How many riders never actually join more than one club then enter other clubs promising to pay the membership later, whinge at the

I sustained a back injury during the week so i was observing today ,no one asked me for any money

Why should i pay to watch dougie,he is being paid to ride ,Dont get me wrong i think all the top boys are fantastic,but why pay to stand in a feild ,I love trials and i wont do it , so someone with a passing interest is no way going to.

KEEP TRIALS NO STOP AND FREE TO WATCH. :huh: