Sense At Last

dixie

Take a straw poll and how many riders are under 30 would you say?

I did do a poll many years ago Nige, the only question was what age group are you 15-20 20-25 25-30 30-35 35-40 and so on, I think over 50% were over 40.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering today how many years has Trotters and witches burn been used in the SSDT, many good riders would both loose marks and clean the sections 25 years ago on twin shockers, yet they still do today on the modern bikes.

Witches certainly early mid-80s but I can remember Trotters or Muirshearlich as it was called in the Scottish and Lochaber club trials in the late 70's. Always remember seeing Rob Edwards riding a Mont 247/348 at a Lochaber national ( the trial with Rogart on the Saturday, was that the Whoite Heather Trial, FW on the Sunday) in about 78 or 79 making the big step look easy. It hasn't changed on bit.

Witches certainly early mid-80s but I can remember Trotters or Muirshearlich as it was called in the Scottish and Lochaber club trials in the late 70's. Always remember seeing Rob Edwards riding a Mont 247/348 at a Lochaber national ( the trial with Rogart on the Saturday, was that the Whoite Heather Trial, FW on the Sunday) in about 78 or 79 making the big step look easy. It hasn't changed on bit.

Did Rob Edwards marry a girl from Edinburgh ?

I know a guy from my part of the world who cleaned witches on a bulto with only one footrest having lost a footrest earlier in the day.

he's ridden the same section a few times since on various air cooled and water cooled mono bikes but never manged to clean it again.

I dont think the arguements really matter so much in terms of machinery its more about the sections being appropriate, the observers applying the rules and the riders accepting the outcome.

we can argue all day but the FIM are seeking to change the rules as the present system, in their view, has led to championships with less than ten competitors, costs which are too high for the factories and less participation in Europe at club level.

why not try it and then complain afterwards if it doesnt work ?

Edited by Baldilocks

we can argue all day but the FIM are seeking to change the rules as the present system, in their view, has led to championships with less than ten competitors, costs which are too high for the factories and less participation in Europe at club level.

why not try it and then complain afterwards if it doesnt work ?

They better get it right then, not many left.

What would change if there was no world championship ? would the domestic championships have more participation.

They better get it right then, not many left.

What would change if there was no world championship ? would the domestic championships have more participation.

I don't think that any rule changes will make any difference at wtc, because the section difficulty will still be above what the top 20 in the world are capable of. Now 20 doesn't match the entry and that is perhaps where the problem lies. Where are and why are the second ten, Bethune Bruand Morris Gontard maybe connor, why do these riders disappear when clearly young enough and good enough. Would no stop bring them back?

Also if the wtc finished and our best riders rode nationals every week would it not stop anyone else winning? Would that have a knock on effect and push younger riders out through finishing say 12th instead of sixthish?

I really believe that there needs to be an elite championship to get the best of the best as a showcase for our sport, surely all the years that Dougie has been World Champion has helped the sports profile?

I really believe that there needs to be an elite championship to get the best of the best as a showcase for our sport, surely all the years that Dougie has been World Champion has helped the sports profile?

Surely this is where we are now? and it isn't sustainable!

I do wonder how many more years the factorys will send there trucks round the world supporting a handful of riders in the WTC, the money is not there as we are a minority sport.

''If it aint broke don't fix it'' well it is broke, changing the rules may not fix it, but they have to do something.

I agree the WTC is the pinnacle of our sport and here in the UK we don't have to follow suit, as people have said in previous posts cater for the Majority not the Minority!

From what I know you would probably find about 50% are over 30, which means 50% are under 30! :)

The Manx does attract it fair share of 16 and 17 year olds because the law is different here and you can ride on the road at 16.

A few other factors in play which would mean that the results wouldn't really be a true refelction:

1) Difficult to afford to do the some Nationals like the Manx when you are younger

2) Tradition - Its a traditional trial, therefore will attract riders who know what they are looking for

and probably the most important obdervation on this whole argument

3) The sport is dominated by older riders (say 30 and over), yes the current crop of Champions are young, but behind that very top level, who makes up the entry at all such trials??

:lol:

Oh, Manx Two Day next Weekend, have been full to the 275 capacity.

And each year there are up to 50 newcomers,

Im pleased for you,but in all fairness that number is'nt exactly the the entire population of the UK trials world.

The rule the FIM are about to lay down will be for the wrong reason,thats the issue i have,Sound's like the Fim are bending over for the manufacture's,when that reason changes again and it will do when money come's back to the manufacture's the rules will go back as is.

As said above the WTC,BTC is still going to be bone breaker's for the less talented and Trials at club level will still find riders doing what they like in section's.

I would say bike development has everything to do with what we have today.I remember when riding as a schoolboy in mid 80's when the yamaha and fantic came out with the mono's and front disc brake's,kid's was getting these bike's and started doing some very strange thing's on them,well the was'nt doing them things on there twinshock drum brakes the week before.

Edited by bilc0

Where are and why are the second ten, Bethune Bruand Morris Gontard maybe connor, why do these riders disappear when clearly young enough and good enough. Would no stop bring them back?

I've heard a rumour Conner was seriously thinking about giving the world rounds (or at least the british round) a go if they changed to no stop.

It's been my ambition to ride a world round for quite a few years, around 2003/2004 the likes of Gareth Andrews, David Pie, Liam Walker, Andy Perry were riding in local world rounds so back then I could have stood a chance of competing in one (I wish I had) and not coming last, this was under the stop for a one ruling. I bet these same riders would struggle in the support class in a world round now. When I heard they were going back to full no stop I did honestly think I may be able to go and have a attempt at the Scottish world round, I'm probably dreaming though!

Surely this is where we are now? and it isn't sustainable!

I do wonder how many more years the factorys will send there trucks round the world supporting a handful of riders in the WTC, the money is not there as we are a minority sport.

''If it aint broke don't fix it'' well it is broke, changing the rules may not fix it, but they have to do something.

I agree the WTC is the pinnacle of our sport and here in the UK we don't have to follow suit, as people have said in previous posts cater for the Majority not the Minority!

Why is the BTC and WTC not sustainable?