A/b Championship 2010

as iow

Was out marking sections for next weeks Ladies round today when the subject of next years A/B championship came around, and how living on an Island makes traveling to these event more expensive and time consuming than other competitors. For example last weekend my van clocked up 639 miles going to Scarbrough and back, they left there at 5pm after the trial, 7 hours later they only just got the midnight ferry arriving home about 2am in the morning, both lads were knackered and missed school on monday. Back in August we had to go to Northumberland another 800 mile round trip and late night home for the lads, as living on an Island August is the worst time to travel on the ferries.

When the ACU starts planning next years rounds could they please consider not having so many of then so far away so often, its OK for the ACU steward who get paid by the mile for traveling but it gets a bit much for your average hard working parent in these tough economic times.

To have a round up north ( Scarbrough ) is fine but this year we have had for us down south Scarbrough, Northumberland , Bracken rocks twice, and to top it all the Isle of man, after which we got home at 6am in the morning. A more central based championship with a few exceptions ( No one wants to have a round a cheadle ) would be fair to eveyone.

And would it be possible for the youth competitors and there for the customers of the ACU to have a say in which clubs do and don't get rounds next year, as we have been to Bracken rocks to many times, and know one wants to ride at Cheadle, and the general feeling is that both these clubs only get rounds because they have ACU committe members conected with them. The Richmond Mintex time trial was well attended as everyone knows they put on good trials, as do the Welsh, West of England , and Kent clubs, infact there must be plenty of clubs out there who can put on a good trial, instead of forcing us to ride the same old cr-p at Cheadle & Bracken. I,am sorry if this seems a bit over the top but its only what most of the competitors at national youth events are saying week in week out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look "us up north" have had a few years where we were trundleing down to Otter Vale, IOW, South Wales and two rounds South East of London so I can to an extent sympathise. However what comes around etc and this year I haven't had the expense of Previous years. I made my feelings clear about two rounds at Bracken Rocks. It is a good venue but two rounds was not fair on the Northern and Southern Riders who don't get there that often.

As for Cheadle it has to be said that many parents I listened to over the years we have done the championship basically thought that it wasn't any good. And the Parents were those of top five riders, some of which have gone on to world rounds. In fact I believe at least one club organised a round to try and get Cheadle's date and stop them holding a round. The two times we did do it I thought were ok but we were "B" class at the time.

Calm down boys. not sure some of those comments are really necessary.

As someone who organizes a championship hear in the eastern centre i know it can be hard to please everyone. Weather it be a centre or a national championship there will always be some rounds that are just round the corner from some people and a long long way from others.

I would add that i would be nice to see a couple more down south though, Tomorrow i will be headed down to kent for the final round of the british series, i would love to go to more rounds but coming from the suffolk area this is the only round that is even remotely close to me. I do sympathize with the riders and their parents (if were talking about the youth class).

We have a young lad in our centre who is has just wrapped up the youth A title this year and im well aware of just how far they have had to travel around the country for him to achieve this success.

Its a difficult job, as i say no matter where you run a trial it will always be close for some riders and not others.

Was out marking sections for next weeks Ladies round today when the subject of next years A/B championship came around, and how living on an Island makes traveling to these event more expensive and time consuming than other competitors.

........and all the lady riders who will be riding your trial live on the island then? Don't think so, or maybe as a gesture of good will you are paying their ferry fare?

Swings and Roundabouts fellow and personal choice, Yes it maybe expensive for you, but whether it be work or choice to live on the island at the end of the day you choose to live their, maybe next years rounds can be Southampton, Bournmouth, Poole, Weymouth, Brighton and Bognor Regis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you will be attending the ACU forum to raise these points.

I suppose having a round in your "back garden" compensates a little but it will always be the case if you live in the most southerly part of the country, surely?

Bracken rocks twice is wrong. Cheadle I have heard is pants on several occasions but you should always be grateful for pants trials, don't you know.

Surely much more of an issue is minders?

If they have them without bikes then the courses shuld be reasonably compact, heaven forbid if someone has a heart attack trying to chase little johnny no dabs round how much would that cost the ACU/Club?

Your getting into another subject there.

We have lived on this Island all our lives right back to great grand parents and beyond, we have jobs and work here so we are stuck with it.

On Sunday evening after 8pm some ferry companys run every three hours, so as was the case after Scarbrough we miss the 10pm boat the next one was at 1am in the morning, this would have meant not getting home untill around 3am. So we had to change from Red Funnel to Wightlink to get the Midnight sailing at more expence. ( total ferry cost

There is talk of Scotland getting a round next year and this would be totaly unfair to us, and as the SACU have their own championship i can,t see the point in this.

So it's too far for someone from the iow to travel too, what if someone in the north of scotland is showing great promise and decides to have a go at the BRITISH championship, to hold a round on the iow is totaly unfair on them, and the fact they have to drive 200 miles just to get in the same country as ALL of the rounds.

YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE ALL OF THE TIME

Your getting into another subject there.

We have lived on this Island all our lives right back to great grand parents and beyond, we have jobs and work here so we are stuck with it.

Choice !!!!!!!!!! you need a bigger spade because the hole you are digging is getting deeper??

British Championship is as it sates so the rounds can be anywhere, some rounds will favour some others rounds will favour other people..........Thats Fact!! If you have had a bad experience at one venue don't go again that would be your choice?

Gary Mac must be the furthest travelled competitor in the Adult British Championship, but it has been his choice to live in Fort William and his choice to contest the championship! On the flip side its fairly handy for him for te SSDT :)

There is talk of Scotland getting a round next year and this would be totaly unfair to us, and as the SACU have their own championship i can,t see the point in this.

Sure, the SACU run the "Scottish" trials championships. How can you call it a "British" championship when the rounds are all in England, surely it should be called an "English" championship then?

The ACU are quite right if they agree a Scottish round of any "British" championships, that goes for Welsh and Irish too. The Macdonald Trial at Kinlochleven is regarded as one of the finest ACU "British" rounds in the calendar!

We have also allowed ACU riders to ride in our "open" championships for a long time!

Big John