Poppy

wetfeet

Good on you andy, and all the other admin staff, for the poppy on the front page its good to know, we wont and cant forget the fallen!!!! we (as a family) have a good friend out in afgan at the moment, and i know the lads and lasses out there really do like to know that we ARE thinking of them and how much we appreciate the good job there doing!!! so a simple poppy on a web site speaks volumes

so thanks again trials central

Edited by wetfeet

Why are they selling poppies Mummy ?

Selling poppies in town today

The poppies, child, are flowers of love,

For the men who marched away

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy ?

Why not a beautiful rose ?

Because my child , men fought and died

In the fields where poppies grow

But why are the poppies so red Mummy ?

Why are the poppies so red ?

Red is the color of blood , my child

The blood that our soliders shed

The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.

Why does it have to be black?

Black, my child is the symbol of grief,

For the men who never came back

But why , Mummy are you crying so?

Your tears are giving you pain

My tears are my fears for you my child

For the world is forgetting again

My lad picked up his Afghan medal a couple of weeks ago, real proud :lol:

He's back.................some are not? R.I.P

Get a punt in for those who defend our freedoms before PC govts put an end to displays of gratitude in case such displays might offend some minority.

You got that right. Without wishing to turn this into a political debate, and I know this is off-topic for this forum, but this story was widely covered..

Secondary schools will strip back the traditional curriculum in favour of lessons on debt management, the environment and healthy eating, ministers have revealed.

Even Winston Churchill no longer merits a mention after a drastic slimming-down of the syllabus to create more space for "modern" issues. Along with Hitler, Gandhi, Stalin and Martin Luther King, the former prime minister has been dropped from a list of key figures to be mentioned in history teaching. This means pupils may no longer hear about his stirring speeches during the Second World War, when he told Parliament that defeating Hitler would be Britain's "finest hour".

The only individuals now named in guidance accompanying the curriculum are anti-slavery campaigners Olaudah Equiano and William Wilberforce. The omission of Churchill added to a growing row over Labour reforms to secondary education - the most radical since the national curriculum was introduced in 1988. Critics warned traditional subject disciplines were being stripped of key content and used to promote fashionable causes and poorly-defined "life skills". They said that while the two World Wars remain on the curriculum as broad topics the failure to specify teaching on Churchill - while naming other individuals - downgraded his importance.

The move was called "madness" by his grandson Nicholas Soames, the Tory MP.

"It is absurd. I expect he wasn't New Labour enough for them," he said.

Tory spokesman on children Michael Gove added: "Winston Churchill is the towering figure of twentieth century British history. His fight against fascism was Britain's finest hour. Our national story can't be told without Churchill at the centre."

Schools are also being told to tear up the timetable of eight lessons a day and introduce classes lasting a few minutes - or several hours - by mixing different subjects together. Five-minute lessons on spelling, French or German could be "drip-fed" throughout the day.

The architect of the new curriculum, Dr Ken Boston, insisted traditional approaches had been "exhausted". The slimline regime is being introduced amid concerns that teachers do not have enough time to ensure youngsters master the three Rs.

Key subjects such as history and science will be cut back to allow teachers to spend a quarter of the day helping pupils who struggle with literacy and numeracy. At the same time, staff will be expected to introduce topics such as personal finance and Urdu aimed at preparing youngsters for life in the 21st century.The new curriculum - introduced from September next year - precedes the introduction of "functional skills" tests in English and maths.

Teach Urdu and not Churchill? Something is very, very wrong.

Teach Urdu and not Churchill?

Remaining OT :thumbup: it amuses me that for 200 years the Brits colonised India. Now the Brits are being colonised by the indians.

Back on topic, have you seen the last episode of the "world at war"? An American historian (I forget his name) was asked what did some countries get out of WWII. The US got rich, Germany and Japan were rebuilt at US expense. The brits got nothing bar the moral high ground.

Churchill was a funny bugger. An enigma wrapped in a paradox (to use his own expression). Changed politcal parties more often than most change their underwear and an often foolhardy, swashbuckling adventurer. He did get Hitler right. Pity Roosevelt didn't listen to him re: Stalin.

Someone once said, "when we no longer stop to remember, we'l quickly start to forget", can't remember who it was but it's very apt.

We'll trundle down this new road and find ourselves facing WW3 in another 50 years or so, the next time will be the last though.

Back on topic, have you seen the last episode of the "world at war"? An American historian (I forget his name) was asked what did some countries get out of WWII. The US got rich, Germany and Japan were rebuilt at US expense. The brits got nothing bar the moral high ground.

more than likely it was this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Ambrose