Starting Out In Classic Trials

tjp

Alot of people say the Fantic 240 is a good twinshock'out of the box'.My advice would be to ride a bike that YOU like -how it feels ,sounds,looks etc.And make that bike run as sweet as it can.Compared to a moden bike,classics are a bit rubbish if you are judging them as competetive trials machines.I have a Greeves and its a heavy dinosaur thing but it is such fun to ride,but I dont really use it much because I love the rev3 and find it infinitely more enjoyable in the long run.I've always fancied a heavy british bike though,something like a 1954 Royal Enfield 500 trials.looks great sounds great,a real lump.I imagine that would be great fun in a classic trial..........

I've always fancied a heavy british bike though,something like a 1954 Royal Enfield 500 trials.looks great sounds great,a real lump.I imagine that would be great fun in a classic trial..........

Not if the trial was laid out to take marks from "past masters" on very trick cubs etc.

I kinda tried this a few years ago, a mate went down the same route with a very nice 240 Fantic TS.

I bought a nice TY175 and spent a few quid to make it competitive, shocks footrests etc etc, I rode it for two classic trials and hated the thing, under powered, crap suspension (even with new shocks)........I was expecting too much from the little yam.

Not sure on brit stuff, not my thing really but one chap I know has spent thousands on his cub making it 'trick'which kinds defeats the object to me.

I've had a few TLR 250's in the past and I'd love another but I'll never pay the 3k they seem to be asking for these days, even a good 240 Fantic TS fetch at least

Not if the trial was laid out to take marks from "past masters" on very trick cubs etc.

But that isn't representative of the classic scene overall. Most classic club trials are on the gentle side and have 2 sometimes 3 routes, so there are plenty of events that would accomodate a bigger bike.

Things only start to get difficult in the ACU Traditional series and very occasionally, the Miller series on the hard route, but there is always the easy route - and they are National Championsip events after all. The Manx Classic is a tougher event and a standardish big bike on the hard route would be a handful for a skilled rider but there is an easier route to opt for. Pre65 Scottish is fine for a big bike as proven by the number of rigids that take part.

As far as which bike - impossible to answer really as if you don't have a favourite marque, or something you have a particular affinity for then the choice is huge. Most people gravitate to the type of bike they used when they first started riding, British from the 50s or 60s or Spanish or Jap from the 70s. If you don't fall into this niche then you have to really look at the combination of your ability, the type of events you will want to use it in and what is catered for in your area. Just because it is a 'classic' (hate that term) it doesn't mean you have to ride it in classic events, most modern trials have 3 routes these days so you can ride a twinshock or Pre65 on the middle or easy route.

Choice all depends on what you want to ride and why really

Hi TJP, I guess it depends on what you have ridden before as to what you may feel most comfortable on - 2 stroke or 4 stroke and how physically strong you are! Have you been riding long and what is your budget? It's little use suggesting you go for a Cub if you don't want to spend around

i trialled competitvley with a TY175 then a Beamish Suzuki 250 back in the 70's and the Suzuki made me realise what was lacking in the 175, but when the Fantics first came along they showed the way, i recently got another Beamish 250 and it still doesn't dissapoint though but there are certainly more TY's and TY parts around

i wonder if the TY175 might be a little under powered, what about a TY250 majesty ?

happy hunting

Tony

have the best of both worlds a classic ie twin shock and a pre 65 so buy the p65 and ride in both.

as your such a lieghtweight you could be competative on a villers 8e or 32a powered bike give Dave a call at http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/4sal...alelist_all.asp the stuff he sells is usually first class ready to ride which is unusual in p65 circles.