Betor Shocks

sunny

Being 360mm they are commonly used on those models. They are quite stiff in the damping and so are not considered to be among the best for trials competition, but are reliable and long lasting and the action can be improved with internal mods.

Been using Betor std shocks for a while over here. Yes they can be improved but they work fine as is. I thought most Bultacos used 340mm shocks? Whatever main thing we find is make sure you use 40 lbs springs not 60 lbs springs but the damping is fine.

They do seem more than a bit expensive though ! :rolleyes: as they only cost around

I am a pretty big guy about 240 lbs. and I the ones on the bike are dead. I sit down and they full compress to the point of the fender almost touching the tire. I did email and the price quoted was $75 CAN. I do not see myself as doing anything more than trail riding and putting around.

SUNNY

Been using Betor std shocks for a while over here. Yes they can be improved but they work fine as is. I thought most Bultacos used 340mm shocks? Whatever main thing we find is make sure you use 40 lbs springs not 60 lbs springs but the damping is fine.

They do seem more than a bit expensive though ! :rolleyes: as they only cost around

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sunny,

I use Betor's to Sammy Miller specs, not standard Betors as I am told by Spanish friends that the standard Betors do not work so well. The Sammy Betors work very well, I fit 360mm shocks to my Sherpa as they tuck in the steering angle a bit, which I prefer over the standard 340mm length.

Yoy can get 40 or 50 lb springs, I have tried both. The 50 lb are too heavy for me and I am unable to get any where near the full stroke of the shock even up some reasonably serious rocks. The 40 lb work very well, I am 88 kg, leaving two notches left on the spring adjuster for future need - like at Xmas time.

Ta ta, PeterB.

Assume you mean me ? I'm 15 stone but i dont have a problem bottoming out with 40lbs springs with preload set to softest. :chairfall:

OFT

I'm a bit lighter, but bike is probably heavier than most, new Rockshocks have 55lbs springs and seem quite soft.

Haven't had a chance to try then yet as only got them on Thursday.

I presume that the damping rate must contribute to the overall performance so spring rates in isolation are not the whole story ?

Ross

OFT

I'm a bit lighter, but bike is probably heavier than most, new Rockshocks have 55lbs springs and seem quite soft.

Haven't had a chance to try then yet as only got them on Thursday.

I presume that the damping rate must contribute to the overall performance so spring rates in isolation are not the whole story ?

Ross

To simplify the spring is what supports the unspring weight, inc you, the damping rate is what slows the spring down, compression and or rebound, and stops you :chairfall:

Whatever spring rate you choose it should allow the shock to travel it's full length in use this includes occaisionally using the bump stop rubbers, if you dont hit them ever the springs are too hard.

Hope that helps ?

• 2 weeks later...

To simplify the spring is what supports the unspring weight, inc you, the damping rate is what slows the spring down, compression and or rebound, and stops you :rotfl:

Whatever spring rate you choose it should allow the shock to travel it's full length in use this includes occaisionally using the bump stop rubbers, if you dont hit them ever the springs are too hard.

Hope that helps ?

Hi OFT

Used the shocks, and as you said adjusted them so they hit the bump stop on a couple of occasions.

Cant fault them, but no significant improvement over the 15 year old DOT shocks they replaced.

(But they do look very pretty)

Ross