Gasgas Vs Sherco

jamez

Yes, at this age you really should buy by condition. Get the best one you can afford, an eight year old trials bike is likely to have seen some serious action in it's time!

For what it's worth, be wary of the 2002 Gas Gas Pro's, it was a completely new model and had some issues which were improved upon in subsequent years.

If condition & price are similar then buy the sherco, chances are the gas gas will be in need of a gearbox rebuild soon as thats the weak point that has been improved over the years.

Sherco's have had basically the same engine for their whole life with gearbox ratio changes & different cylinders so are pretty bulletproof, weak points are sometimes stators dying depending on which brand is fitted & the rear shock is weak in the 06.

Condition should be the deciding factor really. Hope thats of some help

Buy neither as they both had issues. Sherco had main bearing problems if i recall back in the early models. Get a Beta Rev3 or Montesa 315R if youre skint.

Like said buy on condition as you wont get an 8 year old bike unless luncky in decent nick. Then be ready to throw money at it as may require linkage bearings exhaust repacking etc etc all adds up to getting a newer bike.

Now you all know the most reliable, bulletproof bike is the Yamaha engined Scorpa 2T. All years are good.

Ever thought of one of these?

I think the Scorpa is weak. The tank is asking to be smashed and can be damaged easy. Never said that sounds nice after a year or two. Casings are very weak as me mates fell over and the gear lever went through the case.

I think the Scorpa is weak. The tank is asking to be smashed and can be damaged easy. Never said that sounds nice after a year or two. Casings are very weak as me mates fell over and the gear lever went through the case.

OPINION here:-

Ok ,I'm trying hard not to get into a slanging match here but I have to agree that I think the Scorpa reliability myth is just a myth..all bikes have their faults .

FACTS here:-

A lad I know :rolleyes: a mechanical engineer, (no names...but I was there when it happened) snapped the aluminium steering stem on his 06 SY, he's no dare-devil rider by the way.

So then,as you do, you ask around and find out that it's Tom Jones (not unusual!).

A quick call to the importer (un-named :o ) gets the response: '' Don't keep 'em, never ever been asked for 'em, dead reliable,take umpteen weeks to order in, blah..blah..PR...nowt wrong with using aluminium in that location..''

Laddo replies:- '' Oh well ,I'll just have to get one made at work then...but I only have access to bright drawn mild steel bar.''

''Steel? Steel?....Could you get me a price on 10?'' says the dealer????????????????

Edit (wandered of topic ;) )

Back to ;OPINION:-

Sherco 02 all the way,mainly because the 02 Pro was an experimental model where GasGas saw fit to let the owners do the product testing for the company without the owners realizing they wouldn't be paid for it...in fact it cost them dear...specifically ;if the parts had a '....box' in it's name it was doomed :-

i.e. Gear..box (remember 6-speeds weren't always attainable!!),

Mid...box (got too hot and the baffles rattled loose or parted company from the frame),

Air..box (let all the air out and invited the water and crud in).

Edited by HAM2

In addition to what others have said, the 2002 280 Pro Gas Gas has an aggressive power delivery. By comparison the 02 2.9 has a much smoother power delivery...not less power just a less abrupt delivery. The GG clutch also seems to need frequent attention.

The 02 Sherco has taller than normal 1st and second gears. This requires lower overall gearing to get a first similar to the GG. The Sherco has a 5 speed and a big gap between 3rd and 4th. For trials, it does not seem to matter but if you trail ride the bike, it can be annoying and leave you wanting for a 3 1/2 gear. By comparison the GG 6 speed has a gear for everything.

In addition to what others have said, the 2002 280 Pro Gas Gas has an aggressive power delivery. By comparison the 02 2.9 has a much smoother power delivery...not less power just a less abrupt delivery. The GG clutch also seems to need frequent attention.

The 02 Sherco has taller than normal 1st and second gears. This requires lower overall gearing to get a first similar to the GG. The Sherco has a 5 speed and a big gap between 3rd and 4th. For trials, it does not seem to matter but if you trail ride the bike, it can be annoying and leave you wanting for a 3 1/2 gear. By comparison the GG 6 speed has a gear for everything.

Thought it was the 03 with different gearing?

I have an 03 pro 280, well till last week sold it for 1000, it was a great bike not many like that around, swapped it for a much newer one but it was a bad move by me. i should have kept the money and my bike the new one is not that much better at all, i think you need to be an expert rider to notice. and new one cost much much more, try to get one that an older guy has, dont buy a kids bike they just wreck em. dont buy from pictures go and look, check linkages 'sag' or rear end, clutch will be lound they all are. watch for kickstart slip. i had an 06 sherco last year too they are a good bike too, very wick, i prefer the gg though. sherco riding positon feels forward on the bike to much, beta further back , gg just right, well for me.