Changes To Wtc Rules

Andy

I think they have missed the boat with the no stop thing, why develop bikes around trick riding etc, may as well ride bultacos and swm's if they are going back down this road

We used to drive down the road in old Moggie thou's and Ford pop's the cars have changed a bit but still going down the same roads.

Dabster is right, the 1 min time limit isn't a big deal providing the sections arn't made too long.

I don't think not being allowed to walk the section on the day makes much sense, they can and do change from lap to lap, is a rider allowed to walk along side the section just not enter it ?.

Dan also makes a good point, will this format be better or worse for spectators ?.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to drive down the road in old Moggie thou's and Ford pop's the cars have changed a bit but still going down the same roads.

Dabster is right, the 1 min time limit isn't a big deal providing the sections arn't made too long.

I don't think not being allowed to walk the section on the day makes much sense, they can and do change from lap to lap, is a rider allowed to walk along side the section just not enter it ?.

Dan also makes a good point, will this format be better or worse for spectators ?.

I think you'll find many roads have changed with time.....

this riding the section in order is against the basics of trials. Part of the skill is knowing when to push on and when to hang back. Ragas result in France last year was simply down to him getting a move on. I really think Doug was able to win on that day too as he had a technical problem which allowed raga to pass and enjoy dry sections before the rain made the sections much harder.

Also it states "START FIRST" so maybe its bou is simply first away which if thats the case then he will finish bang on time or a little late then evryone else will be fighting time and racing between sections and back to the start.

Either way this doesn't smell of rider consultation.

On the plus side wiggy's last away!

are the juniors and youth the same?

Where are the official rules can't find them? found some but no mention of section inspection disallowed.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

When Mr Bou rides section 2 do you think the number of spectators at section 1 will be zero? :rotfl:

This is a good point. With the "big boys" going first, what spectators are going to be around for the supporting classes, particularly on the first lap? By the time the Youths come through the first section there will be virtually nobody except family and friends there. Everybody will be off to section 6 or 7 to catch up with the top lads.

Previously, because they all dicked about so much on the first lap you could see section one, know they'd dick about again at section two so jump to section three etc etc. Depending on the course, because the riders spent so long at each section, it was possible to take in 4, 5 or even 6 sections a lap. With no walking the sections and a minute to ride a section they'll be round the average lap in no time. How is that good for a spectator sport? The TV guys are going to really struggle to keep up with things too. They, like us, are usually in cars. It's been a struggle to keep up in the past. It's going to be impossible now.

Unless the observer calls in the riders in order Mr Bou will probably still hang around and then ride last few section flat out!!! I assume only timed back in at end of lap.

Maybe he can't walk the section and will only have 60 secs in the section so will probaly sit under a brolley out of sight with big coat on until he is ready to ride - cracking spectator viewing.

Watching the top boys plan their lines was/is part of the interest in watching the top boys perform.

stopping riders/minders/ mechanic/others going into the sections should make the observers job a bit easier!! you need eye's in the back of your head with all that lot in the section trying to distract the observer so that others can move rocks etc, then when rider is attempting section they stand in your line of sight to distract you especially at a tricky part, they all no every trick in the book and belive me trying to concentrate for the duration of the trial isn't easy with all that going on around you. still woudn't miss it for anything and plus i get to ride my bike up and down the course for the weekend nuth said :rotfl:

Edited by PHB

I expect the Juniors and Youth will still proceed the Open riders.

The riders will still walk the sections but will have to walk between the section tape and the spectator tape. This will make it better for the Observers to score the riders. The spectators should also get a better view most of the time as the field of minders and other riders will have to stay out of the way. Keeping the minders out should help keep in check the kicker building that occurs during the day.

The riders time allowance for the day has not altered so their speed around the course won't change.

I cant see the not walking the section lasting long this season as it would put a lot more emphasis on the minder yet this is what they are trying to cut down on so its a contradiction in terms. I never knew trials was a race and thats the way its going. I see that they are wanting to make it more "dynamic" but trials has never been "dynamic" and is never going to be spectator friendly like other sports. There is a flaw with going back to non-stop if thats what they are pushing. I rode 2 novogars over easter which are non stop. I was quite bemused when I was told on numerous occasions that we were allowed to stop on this section. Am I being stupid or thick or both but how can a brtish championship run 2 sets of rules in the same trial?????? Non stop will only work if the riders and officials want it to work. I see the advantages of the stop permitted rule as it is a damn sight easier to observe. Surely 90 seconds is a short enough time limit! Its short when your riding I know that for sure from my experience in the BTC's! In my opinion the only way a possible return to non stop or as the foreigners call it "dynamic trials" then it has to be the old FIM system when a stop was 1 mark but it needs to be policed by the observers and stop the sidewards movement when stationary. I am interested what will happen in Spain on Sunday at the world round and see how it all pans out. All I know is that at the british round it might be slippery at the front for Mr Bou if it rides anything like the 6 days! Just my two penneth

This is a good point. With the "big boys" going first, what spectators are going to be around for the supporting classes, particularly on the first lap? By the time the Youths come through the first section there will be virtually nobody except family and friends there. Everybody will be off to section 6 or 7 to catch up with the top lads.

Previously, because they all dicked about so much on the first lap you could see section one, know they'd dick about again at section two so jump to section three etc etc. Depending on the course, because the riders spent so long at each section, it was possible to take in 4, 5 or even 6 sections a lap. With no walking the sections and a minute to ride a section they'll be round the average lap in no time. How is that good for a spectator sport? The TV guys are going to really struggle to keep up with things too. They, like us, are usually in cars. It's been a struggle to keep up in the past. It's going to be impossible now.

I've yet to see the rules where section inspection is mentioned are you sure its right? Where can we see these rules? Its a 3 hour limit for the first lap so thats how long they will take though?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Unless the observer calls in the riders in order Mr Bou will probably still hang around and then ride last few section flat out!!! I assume only timed back in at end of lap.

Maybe he can't walk the section and will only have 60 secs in the section so will probaly sit under a brolley out of sight with big coat on until he is ready to ride - cracking spectator viewing.

Watching the top boys plan their lines was/is part of the interest in watching the top boys perform.

Spot on.

stopping riders/minders/ mechanic/others going into the sections should make the observers job a bit easier!! you need eye's in the back of your head with all that lot in the section trying to distract the observer so that others can move rocks etc, then when rider is attempting section they stand in your line of sight to distract you especially at a tricky part, they all no every trick in the book and belive me trying to concentrate for the duration of the trial isn't easy with all that going on around you. still woudn't miss it for anything and plus i get to ride my bike up and down the course for the weekend nuth said :rotfl:

..........if it were true, minders will still be in the sections surely for the riders saftey?

I expect the Juniors and Youth will still proceed the Open riders.

The riders will still walk the sections but will have to walk between the section tape and the spectator tape. This will make it better for the Observers to score the riders. The spectators should also get a better view most of the time as the field of minders and other riders will have to stay out of the way. Keeping the minders out should help keep in check the kicker building that occurs during the day.

The riders time allowance for the day has not altered so their speed around the course won't change.

There will be more problems as the youths who start first sometimes as early as 8 30 (rider a) have to finish lap 1 therefore at 11 30, only 30mins after the last rider in the top group. My estimate is section seven will have a gaggle of large bike holders stopping the progress of the youth riders who might interfere with the lines or simply slow up the waiting top boys. (rider a needs to finish lap 2 at 13 30 top boys lap 1 14.30)

If as stated the riders and minders are filling the gap between spectators and section it won't help the view at all it will block it even more than now. It was crowded last year with riders in the section itself so its going to be worse.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Correct me if I am wrong here Dabster, but do not these top guys get to spend the afternoon prior to the event on section inspection along with grooming? Filing their complaints and whatever if they feel it unsafe?

Day of trial things do need to move along, dicking about with the top riders on the first loop and playing the waiting game is indeed a bit of gamesmanship, yet at the same time, they already have it down, just waiting for others to go first!

They can see what they need from the boundry. Eyes like eagles these guys! Memory like it too!

Wonder still about the minders/ catchers in the sections though? :rotfl: