Week 170 - Is Ours A Northern Sport?

Andy

rapley_header_ukwt1.jpg

Is trials riding becoming a northern based sport? Indeed, has the sport of trials riding already become almost exclusively northern based. And I ask if long term, will trials riding die out south of Birmingham? Interesting questions, but of course they apply only to the UK.

Why do I ask? Let me explain.

Today

And they are not unique to the north. Fortunately, there are a significant number of such trials. Westmorland run several, Richmond run the Reeth Three Day, Ripon run the Jack Leslie Ellis, there

The answer is of course (probably) no!

My proof is the columns of the weekly newspaper T+MNX.

In the last edition (No 1716) there are reports of 33 Club trials and 1 national.

21 events were held below (not including) the Midlands and 13 up North. The one national was also as it happens South.

So that's 61% of reported trials in the South.

The question probably should have read 'by comparison how many classic road based trials are promoted.'

I think you perhaps should have said trials as we know it. Plenty of trials down south but I am in a minority that actually would like to ride single lap 40 sections lovely day out events. It seems most of the riders down here have to be back home by 3 pm at the latest and thus they prefer half hour drive, half hour to enter, half hour in the sections, 2 hours queing and half hour to get home. There are those who dont like rocks because they might damage thier bikes, those who don't like downhill drop offs because they could be dangerous etc etc.. generally we are seriously in danger of becoming a mutual w**king society doing it just for the pose. I expect a load of flack for saying all this and it won't change a thing around here. I would say to those who want to have a pop at me that I am personally responsible for quite a lot of the trials that you like to ride and complain about. so looking forward to getting up to north yorks this weekend and to hell with local trials.

Might be a surprise to some but bar the SSDT and the pre65, to the best of my knowledge, there are no other road based trials held up here in Scotland.

Like Chewy, I'd love to ride a 30mile lap road based event that's not too exacting. I just can't see it happening up here though, what with all the cost of getting the bikes road legal, and of course it makes life difficult for the young 'uns. Also a major headache for the organisers who have to try and find that scarcest resource of all, observers.

Mike, if you only look North you will only see Northern events. Due credit should be given to the organisers of two splendid events held on my doorstep, listed below. May I suggest that you focus your considerable journalistic skills on visiting and promoting both events and give some deserving

depends on what you mean by up north?

for me its north of the M62

for the sammy miller series only two trials are north of the m62 and even in the PJ1 NORTHEN bike series only 2 of the events are north of the m62 in the asssociation of classic trials clubss of the thirty or so events only 3 are above the 62. however movethe line down to birmingham and much is in the 'north'

so basically its down to geography not so much of the event but perhaps our own and our interpretation of oop north

There are those who dont like rocks because they might damage thier bikes, those who don't like downhill drop offs because they could be dangerous etc etc.. generally we are seriously in danger of becoming a mutual w**king society doing it just for the pose

Ha ha - I find it really funny that riders today don't like negotiating mud, prefering to keep thier bikes clean. We have a superb venue that as been used for eons but now struggle to get a decent entry cos it gets muddy! Come on guys - riding a trials bike in mud is FUN.

"Ha ha - I find it really funny that riders today don't like negotiating mud, prefering to keep thier bikes clean. We have a superb venue that as been used for eons but now struggle to get a decent entry cos it gets muddy! Come on guys - riding a trials bike in mud is FUN."

Can't beat a bit of the old traditional stuff. Even the tops boys like to stay nice and clean.

Get them back in the mud, slippy streams, roots etc and things change -look at Cabby in SSDT. Well done to Wiggy for taking it all on board in SSDT and last weeks European.

Get back to traditional trials and geography will become less of an issue - ie rock up north =- mud down south

Trials a northen sport, no not at all...

Plenty of trials down here in the south west and very good they are too..

There are not the road based trials down here like you have up north.

I've never done a road base trial,but hold all the right paper work to ride my bike on the road.

Tax mot and insurance which all cost money on top of the cost of bike and and kit.

I'm also over the age of seventeen and hold a full bike licence.

As we are trying to encorage more people to our sport does it not make sence to keep it simple and safe.

Rideing around the Devon and Cornish lanes this time of year is hard work, what with the number of hoilday makers and traffic about.

I think there would be low numbers that would turn up and ride a road base trial down this way and to get 20 or 30 people to observes

would be impossable.

The modern Trials bikes don't exactly lend themselves to road work do they.

Trail riding seems to be bigger down south,the bikes have seats and much better equipped for road.

I think the Modern Trial bike is what you see,It's a trick Arena style Motorcycle.

Ha ha - I find it really funny that riders today don't like negotiating mud, prefering to keep thier bikes clean. We have a superb venue that as been used for eons but now struggle to get a decent entry cos it gets muddy! Come on guys - riding a trials bike in mud is FUN.

Dead right there Mark. I always ask the young 'uns if they are riding there and always get a resounding no. Interesting really because to develop as a rider you have to be able to ride every type of terrain. If it was up to me the world rounds would start in January and would have plenty of nice muddy climbs and roots! In the Novogar series the furthest south we go is either the Wallace cup or the Colmore, nothing further south than that. I know its an odd comparison but Motocrossers who I would describe as being mollycoddled, wrapped up in cotton wool, call it what you like always seem to be s**tted up to the eyes in the pictures I see in the press. Theres nothing I love more than getting muddy and having all day out on the bike, thats what Sundays are for.

Hi Fred,

I would love to ride in the Llanfyllin Trial but where is it??

No details on TC calendar so can't really be blamed for not knowing about it.

Mike

Forest Trophy Trial

Entries now closed but its a great event ridden on a HUGE piece of forestry land so no road work involved. 40 sections - one lap. In 2008 its the only trial I rode all year and loved it.

Llanfyllin MCC

Edited by AtomAnt

Hi Fred,

I would love to ride in the Llanfyllin Trial but where is it??

No details on TC calendar so can't really be blamed for not knowing about it.

Mike

Mike,

Details can be found by clicking on the link below;

http://www.trialspace.co.uk/

The club has attracted 200 riders without much publicity, many travelling a considerable distance. The event is actually a 2 day; the second day is a T & O at the same venue. I know some that also intend to take in Oswestry clubs Saturday evening trial as well, so the chance of 3 days action.

I believe entries are full, but I would like to think that possibly you could obtain a ride as a

Edited by Fred_Savage