Well, As Promised!

copemech

Wayne, it is a lot of fun, not too many things like it. Usually gets my blood pumping! Actually, I think learning to fly the thing is only about 10% of it. Learning to land it another 30%, then one gets off into the realm of other things like navigation, communication, aerodynamics, meteorology, and regulatory rules of airspace usage, equipment, etc.

One good thing to it all seems you can apply at your own pace(and wallet). I have known a few professional "student" pilots. Once cleared for solo flight, they can bacically mess about to their hearts content, yet cannot carry passengers.

There is a relatively new rule here as well which is called a recreational(sport) lisence which requires far less training and testing, yet is limiting in range and day use only. Only certain light planes apply.

Yes, those visual approach lights can be helpful. They aer primarily used for instrument approach once one breaks the cloud base for orientation. It gives you a good indication of what a normal glide slope looks like in angle...yet only select instrument approach airports have such. Once one learns(visually) the basic power settings and speeds for standard approach, then one gets into totally different realms of short field, soft field and emergency landing styles which(depending upon aircraft) are far away from standard slope angles, yet one must be astute to speeds power and angles at all times because your life may depend upon it in an emergengy, which is also why as much as half or more of my approaches are done in different manners for proficiency.

Not unlike a trials bike, power management is key! Lack of power a big problem, yet there are ways around most all of it! Always land upon the softest and cheapest thing one can find! At 60mph or less, it is not that difficult! :thumbup:

Wayne, it is a lot of fun, not too many things like it. Amen to that,brother :P

........There is a relatively new rule here as well which is called a recreational(sport) lisence which requires far less training and testing, yet is limiting in range and day use only. Only certain light planes apply........

:wub: :wub: Just another reason to love the States....and the Shuttle ..and the open space...and the weather..

E.G. my flight was cancelled 3 times before I finally got up..bloody British summer weather :wall: .

When I did get up; the cloud base was at 2000ft and falling.My plane was not rated for flying out of sight of the deck.The only clearing in the cloud,for me to play in, was caused by a rising thermal pushing up.

This meant that a glider and a micro-light (which were not on frequency or tower controlled) were riding the thermal so we were all contesting the same, small, airspace.

It got a bit intense,what with the congestion, the owl eyes/neck and my beginners 'death grip' on the yoke. :P

My instructor advised me to do as he did and go to Pheonix Arizona for a PPL....a production line for students with un-rivalled continuity of training :wub:

You're on about other demands on the pilot apart from flying the bird?...radio frequencies :blink: : I got a bit of a shock when the pilot trimmed the plane then took his hands off the controls to rummage around for a map!

A map? I'm thinking 'does this fekr not know where we are/going??'

As you know already Mark, his type of map has the radio frequency zones on it..doh!

E.G. my flight was cancelled 3 times before I finally got up..bloody British summer weather :wall: .

When I did get up; the cloud base was at 2000ft and falling.My plane was not rated for flying out of sight of the deck.The only clearing in the cloud,for me to play in, was caused by a rising thermal pushing up.

This meant that a glider and a micro-light (which were not on frequency or tower controlled) were riding the thermal so we were all contesting the same, small, airspace.

It got a bit intense,what with the congestion, the owl eyes/neck and my beginners 'death grip' on the yoke. :P

My instructor advised me to do as he did and go to Pheonix Arizona for a PPL....a production line for students with un-rivalled continuity of training :wub:

You're on about other demands on the pilot apart from flying the bird?...radio frequencies :blink: : I got a bit of a shock when the pilot trimmed the plane then took his hands off the controls to rummage around for a map!

A map? I'm thinking 'does this fekr not know where we are/going??'

As you know already Mark, his type of map has the radio frequency zones on it..doh!

Yea, 2000ft is rather limiting, yet even that low, it is amazing just how quickly one can get lost! Situational awareness is key! Large landmarks, bodies of water and such help. Trying to find a road or rail track on the map is sometimes near impossible, even major highways seem small. Navigation needs to be tought, and is very neccessary, thus many schools are shy upon even showing things like one might use in common flight. I have that handheld GPS stuck in the panel. It has moving map, all the airport and airspace info and frequencies, and IS TOTALLY CHEATING! It also functions as a backup set of instruments with airspeed, altitude, attitude, directional compass, verticle speed, and turn coordinator. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

• 1 month later...

As an aside...Mark, I don't know if you've heard of this guy Cliff Robertson RIP

I don't recall him for his acting ability but I do remember him for his love of aviation, particularly his appreciation of the true historical/emotional value of the Spitfire and the Mosquito.

He was appalled at the rate that Spitfires and Mossies were being scrapped just after the war so he bought his own MkIX Spit for posterity MK923 (he wasn't allowed a Mosquito).

He blew his top whilst filming 633 Squadron when he realised they were going to burn a fully airworthy Mossie for a stunt...he said he watched the flames for the 3 hours it took to destroy the main (wooden) spar.

He was also in the air above the Twin Towers at the time of 9/11 and was told in 'no uncertain terms' to land immediately.

If you get time, do a little reading on,t internet about him, it sounds like he had a great attitude.I recommend reading a book about his own personal Spitfire custodian Jerry Billing

aswell..A Knight among Knaves (?)

Wayne

Edit: oops the book's exact title is in the link

Edited by HAM2

As an aside...Mark, I don't know if you've heard of this guy Cliff Robertson RIP

I don't recall him for his acting ability but I do remember him for his love of aviation, particularly his appreciation of the true historical/emotional value of the Spitfire and the Mosquito.

He was appalled at the rate that Spitfires and Mossies were being scrapped just after the war so he bought his own MkIX Spit for posterity MK923 (he wasn't allowed a Mosquito).

He blew his top whilst filming 633 Squadron when he realised they were going to burn a fully airworthy Mossie for a stunt...he said he watched the flames for the 3 hours it took to destroy the main (wooden) spar.

He was also in the air above the Twin Towers at the time of 9/11 and was told in 'no uncertain terms' to land immediately.

If you get time, do a little reading on,t internet about him, it sounds like he had a great attitude.I recommend reading a book about his own personal Spitfire custodian Jerry Billing

aswell..A Knight among Knaves (?)

Wayne

Edit: oops the book's exact title is in the link

I really hate to hear that news as I consider him something of a hero to me. He did a lot of promotion for aviation here as well.

As far as the film scene goes, he has been aroun for as long as I can remember, a number of war movies along with other stuff. But the PT 109 film is the one that comes to mind. It was reported that he was hand picked by JFK to represent himself, quite a complement I would think!(As a sidenote, I seem to recall that book as the first real book I ever read at a young age.)

Seems like all the old heros are dieing off, RIP. :icon_salut:

Sad,horrific, news at Reno, the rumour is that Jimmy lost part of his elevator prior to diving in.

I'm trying not to be crass but the truth is it's not uncommon for planes to crash at airshows and that's why I don't take my kids there...even though I really want to.

I'm in awe of the aircraft but it's just not worth the human cost.Reno as it stands, is too risky.

Edited by HAM2

Sad,horrific, news at Reno, the rumour is that Jimmy lost part of his elevator prior to diving in.

I'm trying not to be crass but the truth is it's not uncommon for planes to crash at airshows and that's why I don't take my kids there...even though I really want to.

I'm in awe of the aircraft but it's just not worth the human cost.Reno as it stands, is too risky.

There is allways a risk, normal airshows take a strict line tht keeps the planes away from the spectators, however Reno being the ultimate round course is different. They keep separation like anyone else, but?

Think that makes two P51's lost this year in accidents.

One could comment about paying the top money(and associated risk) for the front row seats in this case, but they knew the risk, so did the pilot! Probably printed on the entry ticket! Yet overall, chances of just getting there and back in a car(no less a bike) would likely rival!

Pay your money and take your chances here, life is too short to go without it! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

On a lighter note:-

Here's my second lesson on video, people assume that I can't handle my drink; :hl::beer::icon_salut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vH2yKfDq5Q&feature=related

HaHa! That is fantastic! Just goes to show what that little Cub will actually do!

It IS a show, and on the edge, but these guys know what they do very well. Ironic, I recall seeing a similar routine at a very young age at the first airshow I ever witnessed probably back in the 60's.

I would never try anything that extreme intentionally, yet I have had to make some landings in some really bad winds! On One Wheel! And the reality of the situation demands near perfect control to the limits of the aircraft! THIS gives one a perspective on what it WILL and CAN do! The rest is up to you, as it is going to come down eventually, either under control or not, and to an extent, that is where pilotage must take over the controls! Thus scenes such as this are something of a reinforcement to ones doubts! Just do it! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...