Is This The End?

toofasttim

There was a rumour that when he hung up his motorcycle boots he would swap for 4 wheels, rallying has been mentioned, but Formula 1 is the biggest gossip with the Ferrarri Team??

If you read his autobiography he says that the Ferrari thing is no-deal. He isn't interested. Rallying however is a different story.

Commentators at Mugello were picking it to be Spies as he's contracted directly to Yamaha rather than Tech3, no ones sure how they'll get around the no rookies on factory team rule if it's for more than 2 races

Hopefully it is Colin who gets the ride as he has put in the hard yards & it doesn't sound like he bins it as often either

• 2 weeks later...
Of Rossi? He's starting to get hurt trying to keep up with the young guns. I said two years ago that I reckoned he had two years left in him. Let's see if I'm right.

lets hope your not right... :mellow: i have just watched the 2 world superbike races from Italy today, and a 39 year old Italian max biaggi smoked the rest of the field including all the young guns.. things are set to change big time in MotoGP when they allow 1000cc superbikes in there.

i race 1000cc superstocks, its easy to make a small mistake and crash anytime. sometimes you crash big and don't injure yourself, sometimes you have a silly little off and your in plaster. Rossi's crash was nothing to horrendous to look at, yet he broke his tib & fib.

i would be inclined to agree with you if it had happened in the race and happened more often, but not in the practice session, a cold tire, it could have happened to anyone in the motogp paddock.. lets not dig him a grave just yet.. :P

• 2 months later...

Now that he has moved to Ducati, I am curious to see how long it is going to take him to adapt to the change. As long as it took Nikki, or will he be on the podium sooner?

Why Nicky? Stoner got straight on the Ducati in 2007 without any development work, destroyed Capirossi who had been helping develop it, won first time out on it, won 10 or 11 races in total and the championship - in his first year. Rossi has to better that before people can start jumping up and down about how brilliant he is because he gets on the podium in the first few races. Or will what Stoner did conveniently be forgotten by Rossi fans and the TV pundits.

I am in no doubt how good Rossi is as a racer but I'd like to see him go to Ducati on his own and see what he can do with their current crew instead of taking Burgess and Co with him. Jerry Burgess had a proven winning record before Rossi came along, so how much of what has been achieved in bike development is Burgess. If he went on his own and turned it into a regular podium finisher that other riders could also put on the podium, then I'd have more belief in how much input he has had to the development and design of the Yamaha.

For me, seeing Stoner wrestle the Ducati round has been the highlight of MotoGP for the last few years and I don't think MotoGP will seem the same without him on it. They've lost their way this year and I wonder how much that has to do with the fact that they were probably planning for Rossi's arrival next year. But in the previous 3 seasons, watching the way Stoner used to just bully the thing around tracks was jaw-dropping at times, it rarely had both wheels pointing in the same direction or on the ground at the same time - and the way he destroyed them all when he came back from illness last year was phenomenal.

Rossi has a lot to live up to at Ducati