Lever Lengths?

the_k

What length levers do people recommend using?

Also what brand of levers do you like?

For the short time I have had the trials bike I have found I am comfortable using mainly just one or two finger on the controls depending on what I'm doing.

I have tried both short & long lever blades on my bikes, peresonally I prefer the longer type.

Using the longer ones where do you have the end of the lever in relation to the end of the bar and how may fingers do you normally use on the levers?

Been using Apico 3 finger for ages and not managed to break one yet, I keep trying to.

I put a couple of wraps of PTFE tape round the handlebars under the lever clamps so they rotate during a crash.

Forged levers are very tough and cast levers are brittle.

Just put some new S3 red ones on my gasser, very pleased with them. Personally i like short levers, you only use one or two fingers so why have long levers? Thats my logic anyway :D

Exactly, that is why I asked the position of the longer levers?

Just push the lever clamps further in towards the centre of the bars, that way it kinda shortens the lever, but as its longer there's more leverage, so easy to pull.

Just try it.......it's all down to personal preference.

I have mine set in so that I can pull the lever to the bars and it misses my little finger and the one next to it..... Although, I ride with just one finger on each lever, when I pull them in, it hits my middle finger......I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but I LIKE IT !!!

Edited by houseape1000

Just push the lever clamps further in towards the centre of the bars, that way it kinda shortens the lever, but as its longer there's more leverage, so easy to pull.

Just try it.......it's all down to personal preference.

I have mine set in so that I can pull the lever to the bars and it misses my little finger and the one next to it..... Although, I ride with just one finger on each lever, when I pull them in, it hits my middle finger......I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but I LIKE IT !!!

Your set up makes sense to me.

Well I have short levers on at the moment but wanted to get some spare levers and maybe put the new ones if they where different, hence unsure what to go for.

On the mountain bikes I run my levers so the reach adjust is fairly close to the bar and the tip can clears my outer 2 fingers and use one or 2 fingers depending on how much force is required. On the road motorbike I've long levers but cannot put them any further inwards without changing the bars.

So, I think I shall give it a go.

The mid length levers as fitted to the shercos give a slightly lighter action than the full length lever as the adjuster bolt is located in a slightly different place in relation to the fixing bolt. this may give you best of both worlds, more leverage and less likely to damage.

I use my middle finger for front brake and index finger for clutch. standard levers (i think) on 08 Scorpa with the clamps run down the bars a bit to make more leverage and lighter action.

Do most of you run with one finger covering the front brake and clutch at all times or just reach for it when you need it ?

The mid length levers as fitted to the shercos give a slightly lighter action than the full length lever as the adjuster bolt is located in a slightly different place in relation to the fixing bolt. this may give you best of both worlds, more leverage and less likely to damage.

Next step on from them is a set of the folding levers from ARc or AJP, I've had a set of the ARC levers for a few years & their length is almost exactly the same as the mid length sherco ones

I cannot get my clutch MC down the bars far enough without it restricting how far I can twist the clutch MC down due to the MC pipe fitting hitting the lower part of the handlebar bend, if I twist clutch MC down to the angle I want the lever there is to much lever length over the hand grip for my liking or the handlebar is rolled to far forward with the right lever length and I am using a short clutch lever.

They are Renthal 660