Rt 4 Ristrictors

dsa

Has anybody removed all the ristrictors in the exhaust yet.

Had my bike since November and left all the ristictors in place. After experimenting with removing the spark arrestor, i now have removed collar A front pipe and collar B middle box and the rear spark arrestor. Have to say the bike is transformed. Bottom end is as before but power feels increased and comes in with no delay. The bike also starts first time when warm. unlike before. I think this is how the bike is supposed to be but comes fully ristictored due to noise level under load.

Note:- no middle box gaskets yet so have to use CR mx

I have them all out........ran for 2 days with the spark arrestor at end of silencer & since removed it. No problems at all. Superb. Did run a 42 tooth rear sprocket on rear wheel at weekend & considerably better, waiting for a 43T to come in.

Yep, took 'em all out so you'd hear me coming in Scotland!! Will be some weapon over there, out at the weekend in the greasiest rivers with various waterfalls......just flattens them all no problem!!! Sits and bites at the top instead of just spinning up.......

Edited by stuhrc

I was at a Trial last weekend and there was an Ariel 500 there which is deafening

If you like your sport leave the restrictors in. We will lose venues like crazy

Not many Pre 65 trials in the callender year, compared to modern trials :angry:

Timp; Your right the sport may eventually suffer. I have read all the articles on the forums about restrictors in or out, but to add my view.

Trial at Bracken Rocks last weekend 1 x 4RT ticking over in the queue......Just like a Singer sewing machine. Opened it up to scale the hill climb...............the bike could be heard in Matlock :D:)

Actually spoke to the chap at the next section, commenting on how LOUD it was..........''and thats with the restrictors in, you want to hear it when there out''

He actually was concerned about the noise level, the bike actually ran better with them out, but concerned about our sport he has put them back in to keep the noise level down a bit. The bike might run not as well, but it is some way of preserving our sport ..Good on him...............But how long is it before we loose our first bit of land to exesive noise???????

Jumbo Jets, make noise.........They also make loads of money for HM coffers and mostly we as a nation accept this

A few trials bikes in a wood on a Sunday [especially on 4 strokes]............No real money, and some ramblers association will be kicking up a right stink

I am not agianst 4 strokes, I am just highlighting a problem.

A little tip to everyone riding a 4rt :angry:

weld a piece of pipe (about 5 cm long) to the last restrictor. make the pipe face downward about 45 degrees and it takes away alot of the noice specially for the one riding the bike. i can't say i feel any difference in power or rapidness at all. :D

it's the last restrictor that make all the difference, had a indoor trial last weekend and with the last restrictor in the 4rt didn't sound much more than the 2 strokes. it was nice to hear something other than the 2 strokes high pitched screaming.

summing up all the above comments + others on the restictors/noise issues of the 4rt.

all the restrictors removed

some of the restrictors removed

none of restrictors removed

sleeve inserted in to end cap muffler restrictor

welded piece of pipe on the end of the muffler

if you like your 4rt at its loudest with no restrictors that's 'OKAY' if: The land you are riding has Pre67 machinery there on a regular basis.

If not, there is a very good chance you are indeed doing our sport damage. Why? if your that deaf that you are unable to judge the noise of your 4rt then speak with a trial official to seek there advice/opinion. don't leave the approach to the official they may not want to do this, just remember no one likes saying, "sorry your can't ride here your bikes to loud" take the intiative and ask.

my best advice regarding the above bullet points is the sleeves inserts. if you have a couple as i do then you'll be able to regulate the noise, but always ask the events officials if you are unsure.

Edited by spud

Have you removed all the restrictors from the exhaust Mr J Sunter as Sandifords are saying the team bikes only have the middle box collar B removed. If so is this to get the full power version as stated on the information sheet. Do you think the bike has improved performance? and do you think we are told to keep them in due to noise?