Let The 4 Stroke Talk Begin

city trials

I want to bring this one to the top again.

Just recently a dutch trial rider mentioned that they are still bussy with that sidevalve engine.

Does somebody know more or is it a hoax.

Sidevalve? aint that what they use in bog-stock lawn mower engines :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May not apply to the crowd that is NOT in the USA, but there is NOT a ban on 2strokes here in the USA, and must be same over there, I mean Evinrude is a world market I assume? Anyway they state there is not now or future a ban on 2strokes as I read... only emisions on Combustion engines. Read on if you goto, Evinrude.com (outboard motor MFG if you didnt know). Even recently I have seen these, and They have aired commercials about their new FI 2stroke that is cleaner than the 4strokes and all that for outboards, and as we know 50%-80%? more torque and HP per cc... Yeah so selling points and all that aside, if they say were building 2 strokes for the forseeable future, so it seems to be a point to that being possible anyway?

So maybe Gasgas has realized that instead of re-engineering into 4strokeness, they only have to clean up emmisions a bit and keep the 2's on selling?

would seem wise to me.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is this ban going to reach us then? thats my big question for today. if not then surely it a possibilty that you could get manufactures selling the same frame as they use in the wtc, but with different engines in? or going the motorcross route and producing 2 models, or even 2 different ranges?

Slightly off topic but didnt gas gas develop a fuel injected 2 stroke? Now thats the way to go not these heavy complicated 4 strokes!!  :D

The Sherco 4t is only 2 kg's heavier than the normal 2t and there is lots to be gained in having a 4 stroke motor!! Traction is far superior.. Engine breaking is an asset . All things that are helpful for a trials rider surely.

I hope Gas Gas develop a decent 4 stroke and we all have them in future :beer:

Edited by Webmonkey

Hey webmonkey hows it goin :beer:

i rode his sherco 4T yesterday and the extra weight is hardly noticeable compared to the 2T!!

smashing bike, the engine breaking is scary! :D but you'd soon get used to that.

more grunt than the mont.

Thats a difficult question! :D

Personally, i thought your 4T was the same as the 2T shercos. It would have to be yours for the slippy conditions because they grip so well, its ridiculous.

Hav'nt tried one on the rocks yet.

was'nt impressed with the mont!

was impressed with the sherco. hopefully the Gas Gas 4T (if/When) will be good. if its near the sherco, it will be easy to adapt to and will be a great bike!

Thanks Jools :D I asked that question just out of interest as I was thinking what attributes makes for a good trial's bike as there isnt one bike which you can say has everything is there ?

The 4 stroke engine seems to be an asset but whether it is 'the' most important thing I just dont know! ( does anyone?). But if you take a look at what Dougie is doing on the Mont on its first outing, and at the very start of its development curve, its pretty impressive. Time will tell ... and yes, cant wait to see what the Gas Gas 4 Stroke offering will be :beer:

Edited by Webmonkey

more grunt than the mont.

:D Doubt it.......... i ride a fully de-restricted 4RT and was cruising up big waterfalls & dry rock steps whereas I was having to ride ride the ar$e off the Sherco 4T when I had them both out recently.

Would be interested to get them both on a dyno, perhaps on paper the Sherco produces more grunt due to the extra cc's but nowhere near the punch of the Mont, which in itself is nowhere near the go of those new Raga's.........flippin mental!!!!!! :beer:

• 3 months later...

Ok, this one goes on top again with some news from a dutch mx/enduro/YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

It is said that this year the first 4t will be send to importers of england, holland and probably other european countries.

Can somebody back up this story?

Ok, this one goes on top again with some news from a dutch mx/enduro/YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

It is said that this year the first 4t will be send to importers of england, holland and probably other european countries.

Can somebody back up this story?

If this is true then it's the best-kept secret in the industry.

That engine looks pretty compact except for how tall it is. That's my only real niggle with the mont, the engine is a monster in size. But I really don't think GG will go 4t unless FIM forces them too. Properly done exhausts can clean a 2 stroke up to 4t levels. What about beta, they seem to be in the same boat as GG, sort of but not really going for a 4t. I would like it if GG stayed with a 2t model for as long as possible cause I absolutely love the design and expert clutching can produce the same result as a four stroke engine in the wet. But who knows...the FIM does what it wants. :P

I've heard that since the introduction of 4Ts to the WTC that certain undercuts had to taken out of events. This being because the 4Ts can't climb up them or get the power to the rear end quick enough to get up undercuts. Dunno if its true, I've just heard that.

oke, i just reread the article and this is what it says.

"to the question: What about the 4t's?, Mr Xiu of Gasgas answers: They are allright. Then we ask:But when will they arrive, the answer is: soon, but you have to ask Mr Casas for a exact answer. So whe ask Mr Casas(one of the owners of GG).

Mr Casas explains that a few importers will come to Spain to have a ride on the prototype. After that every importer will receive a motor to test further at home.

When will this happen? Still this year, says mr Casas."

Importers mentioned are John Shirt from England and Mr Oerlemans of Holland.

Can somebody call Mr Shirt to verify this. I will do the same here in Holland.

The article is talking about a approx 300cc engine, with injections system, low tank position and high airfilter position. (so they swap tank/airfilter)

Also they go for a no-link airsuspension system(maybe without a spring?)

anyway, seems that something is happening soon.

but maybe this all is a hoax :P

Edited by gasgas