How Do I Register My Bike?

mooseman

You could go for a daylight licence only on the bike as well, all you need fitted is a horn and road legal tyres.And a standard sized number plate. You will need an mot certificate to state is for daylight use only though, trouble with this is most police dont understand the daylight licence rules and you get pulled over alot. The bike has got to built as a single rider machine, no need for a saddle as it does not need one.

Hope this gives you something else to think about.

you need to have lights on etc for the bike to be legal for the road

Don't think so :D;)

Even on a bike that requires an MOT, it states ''If lights are fitted they must be working''.....Correct me if I am wrong :ph34r:

Anyway if that were the case, the police would have a field day at every road trial.................SSDT is a good example...270 bikes...No lights

Follow Munch's thread, thats the way..........apart from the insurance it only costs the price of the tax disc.

I have just got my Registration Number back today, for an '03 Pro. Providing you get the documents from Shirty, you don't need an MOT as the bike will be registered as new (I have a 54 plate issued).

Munch has posted the necessary documents.

Yeah you will need a speedo for an MOT. The horn can not be a old fashioned hooter thing either, it needs to be able to make a continuous noise when pressed. I use the battery ones you can get from cycle shops.

If you still have the switch gear on the bike and it has a horn button on it that has to work, so its best just to take it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my V55/4 and a cert of newness and the cert of conformity from Gasgas UK to my local licencing office (not me in person though) the first time I was given a single vehicle approval form to fill in!!! (these are for kit cars).

The next time they thought it was too old as the date on the cert of newness was for august and they want to inspect the bike!!!!

Any thoughts???

Can you just post the documents to them to save wasted journeys?

Thanks Ian :(

Don't put the type approval number from the GasGas paperwork on the form. Trials and Enduro bikes are exempt from type approval in the UK - put 'Exempt, Trials bike' in the box.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm

"Motorcycle Type Approval

Since the 17th of June 2003 there has been a change in the way Motorcycles are registered...

Customers wishing to register motorcycles, tricycles and quadricycles (including quad bikes, sometimes known as ATVs) are required to produce evidence of type approval (TA), unless they meet with an exemption. Current exemptions include:

Slow vehicles, not designed to exceed 6km/h;

Vehicles intended for pedestrian control;

Vehicles intended for use by the physically handicapped;

Tractors and machines, used for agricultural or similar purposes;

Vehicles intended for use in competitions, both on and off the road i.e. trial or enduro bikes.

Vehicles over 10 years old"

No need for inspection it says so on their web page !

Edited by Subira