Column No. 203 - History In The Making In May

Andy

Going off subject a little I know, but Nigel Birkett's record in the Scottish brings me to think who might have ridden most trials of any type in their lifetime. I would think Dave Thorpe is a likely contender, he's probably competed most weekends for about 45 years!

Excellent column as usual Mike.

I know of 2 trials which started before the Scottish - the Edinburgh Trial in 1904, and the Land's End in 1908. The Exeter Trial, also run by the Motor Cycling Club, started in 1910. I have competed on 2,3, and 4 wheels in these events. Now catering for cars as well as bikes, "the Classics" are a different proposition to the SSDT but a tough challenge. The sections are straightforward but not if you've been awake all night in the pouring rain, doing all your own navigation and repairs. And one dab, and the chance of a gold award is gone.

Long live them all...

More here

On February 25th 1911, 46 pioneering motorcyclists took part in a reliability trial that went from the outskirts of Birmingham, through Stratford upon Avon, to Banbury and back. The route covered 130 miles and included several test hills such as Sunrising and Edge Hill. The winner of the event was presented with the Colmore Cup and the first recipient was Mr.W.D. South, riding a Scott 4hp.

The event became known as the Colmore Cup trial and it has been held continuously since then, making it one of the oldest motorcycle trials in the World. For many years it has been part of the British Trials championship, enjoys a good reputation and attracts the best riders in the country.

This year marks the centenary of the Colmore Cup Trial which is being held on Sunday 27th February and has attracted a full entry of 120 riders.

• Dislike 1

Going off subject a little I know, but Nigel Birkett's record in the Scottish brings me to think who might have ridden most trials of any type in their lifetime. I would think Dave Thorpe is a likely contender, he's probably competed most weekends for about 45 years!

So would Thorpey be a contender for most National trial wins?

Edited by pitley

Excellent column as usual Mike.

I know of 2 trials which started before the Scottish - the Edinburgh Trial in 1904, and the Land's End in 1908. The Exeter Trial, also run by the Motor Cycling Club, started in 1910. I have competed on 2,3, and 4 wheels in these events. Now catering for cars as well as bikes, "the Classics" are a different proposition to the SSDT but a tough challenge. The sections are straightforward but not if you've been awake all night in the pouring rain, doing all your own navigation and repairs. And one dab, and the chance of a gold award is gone.

Long live them all...

More here

Why is it called the Edinburgh trial ?

• 4 weeks later...