Front aux tank yes or no?

mexmex

As someone that never been there, I might ask a stupid question here...Is it so complicated to ass another 1 or 2 refueling points so we can just have safe distance to cover? I'm asking that after a whole day with a heavy nose Beta Evo + Hebo tank...I didn't like it at all.

It's complicated in that we have to get permission for each refuelling point, getting to and from each refuelling point, provide vehicular cover and man power. To add an extra couple of fuel checks per day you'd be looking at paying for at least two additional trucks plus an additional eight people for the week to cover. You'd also need extra supplies of the basics that are held in each refuelling truck (coolant, chain lube, water, etc).

I think when you get here and ride round for a day and see the logistics of the event, you'll understand. It's not possible with the constraints we have - not just on the money side of things, on the land side of things too. If it was necessary, then we'd up the entry fee and do it, but it's not necessary. You do have a safe distance to cover - don't for one minute let this discussion thread make you think that you don't. It's all measured out so that you have plenty leeway if you ride sensibly, and as Staggiedog mentioned earlier, he has ridden the past two years with an Evo and hasn't needed the auxiliary tank at all. :)

It's complicated in that we have to get permission for each refuelling point, getting to and from each refuelling point, provide vehicular cover and man power.

And as the Fueling Manager is riding the PRE '65 he has volunteered me to sort out the recce's for the re-fueling checks, come Monday morning they could be anywhere between Glasgow and John 0 Groats :rotfl:

Yoram, just drain the Hebo tank first. The first group might be a bit dodgy but after that you should be OK.

Good idea but also if you dont like the extra weight on the forks why not just put the Hebo tank in your rucksack? You are still using an approved means of carrying the extra fuel and it eliminates the weight on the forks issue. Doesnt say where the Hebo tank has to be fitted does it?

Yoram, just drain the Hebo tank first. The first group might be a bit dodgy but after that you should be OK.

Up to the next fueling point, when it will be heavy again. I just hope that fueling are before some distance to cover and not right before a group.

Good idea but also if you dont like the extra weight on the forks why not just put the Hebo tank in your rucksack? You are still using an approved means of carrying the extra fuel and it eliminates the weight on the forks issue. Doesnt say where the Hebo tank has to be fitted does it?

It's way to big for my Camelback...

That would certainly be a more logical addition to an "SSDT Special" model than fake tartan panels.

On the Beta, bigger tank is not a real option. The frame used as a tank, so to make SSDT addition they need a different frame...

On the Beta, bigger tank is not a real option. The frame used as a tank, so to make SSDT addition they need a different frame...

On the contrary, Beta actually do a big tank conversion (or did for the Rev 3) which sat piggy back on the existing one.

On the contrary, Beta actually do a big tank conversion (or did for the Rev 3) which sat piggy back on the existing one.

We have it on sale here so I can report 1st hand as a great addition if you want to Trial-duro the bike (at 450$ cost) but no good for pure Trial use...limiting too much the movement of the bike. Then, it's just too much, carrying 6 liter around...

The other bikes like the GG, only need aftermarket tank, that is a bit higher and carry extra 1 liter. Not more...

longrange_evo_medium.jpg

Any approved auxiliary tanks must be fitted to the machine.

Big John

• Dislike 1

In NASCAR they introduced a rule introducing a smaller size fuel tank. The more intellagent car builders just included a very long fuel line which held enough extra fuel for a couple of laps which gave them an advantage until everybody else cottoned on. What about a large fuel filter in the fuel line then? 500cc isnt that big and if it gets you off the moor worth looking at.

Big John says "Any approved auxiliary tanks must be fitted to the machine". I dont know the regs for the SSDT verbatim but if that is the actual wording then it doesnt state where they must be fitted to the machine does it?

Then again BJ says "I really enjoy myself when people start posting stuff and prove that they really don't know what they are talking about!" which i assume was directed at me so i may be wrong but i know if i was riding i would be looking at engineering a solution to the problem of shortage of fuel.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Big John says "Any approved auxiliary tanks must be fitted to the machine". I dont know the regs for the SSDT verbatim but if that is the actual wording then it doesnt state where they must be fitted to the machine does it?

It's times like these I really question why we spend half our lives organising trials for you lot! :rolleyes: