Front aux tank yes or no?

mexmex

I understood from Lampkin that the Evo 250 might not do the distance between fuel stops with the OEM tank. He recommended me to install the Hebo aux tank as a safety measure.

In order to practice the same way, I installed one on my Evo 290, and today in the morning I went out for a ride with the aux tank full.

I hate it! it might be only couple of pound more but it's right on the front and ruin all the bike handling.

Can I carry in my backpack 500ml emergency gas? is it enough? is it allowed???

Thanks for your help!

Yoram

No is the short answer. Carrying an extra kilo on your back will mess you up just as it affect the handling..best get used to it. If you were to get caught carrying I think it means exclusion. Not sure how these auxilliary tanks work but if it empties first or with the main tank you wouldn't take long to burn it off.

Edited by chewy

No is the short answer. Carrying an extra kilo on your back will mess you up just as it affect the handling..best get used to it. If you were to get caught carrying I think it means exclusion. Not sure how these auxilliary tanks work but if it empties first or with the main tank you wouldn't take long to burn it off.

Even when it's empty it's still some extra weight on the front. It's way worse than having this weight on the back, especially when it's a weight that you can remove before entering a section!

But if it's not allowed to carry gas bottle then I don't have any other choice, do I?

Thanks again!

Sorry but you are wrong!!! I am with you Mex Mex take the thing off and ride the bike like you do in a normal trial!!!

You don't get a good score across the moors you do in the sections? and that is where you want to ride the bike at its best and what you are used to. I have seen people strap spanners, tubes, waterproofs etc. to the bike........don't do it

Use a camelbak rucksack and carry everyting in there you can dump it at the top of each section or on the bank at the side of a group of sections and pick it up as you go.

Yes most people do carry fuel, Yes you are not supposed to, but it will save you pushing the bike off the moors. 500ml will be plenty carry this in your rucksack, don't race across the moors, save your energy and save your fuel, pull high gears and ease back on the throttle, you will make it across most of them without using it...............I will be at the petrol check to fill you up :thumbup: #

How do I know all this? I have dragged my sorry ar*e round the SSDT 24 times :unsure:

• Like 1

I only did it 9 times ,i never used an auxilliary tank, I never carried, I never ran out, just wouldn't want to advise the guy to carry.

What is the size of gas tanks you had on the bikes you used?

The 2011 Evo have only 2.6 liters...

I only did it 9 times ,i never used an auxilliary tank, I never carried, I never ran out, just wouldn't want to advise the guy to carry.

Fair play and in all fairness I only ran out once.................but I was glad of that 500ml because it would have been one hell of a push.

9 Times ''Lightweight'' :rotfl: if you did it in the 90's then thats when Men were Men??

Not sure what a gas gas holds about 3 litres I think but i rode the last 2 SSDTs on a standard tank and never went onto reserve. If you were to carry 500mls that would be enough but I dont think the army guys will refill the bottle for you during the day.

so if you were to use the spare bottle on the first check you would have none the rest of the day.

Yes most people do carry fuel, Yes you are not supposed to, but it will save you pushing the bike off the moors.

He may have ridden 24 times but his reading ain't so hot! Regulation 6.3 states that any rider caught carrying fuel in any receptacle other than an approved fuel tank can be excluded. Health and safety rules nowadays I'm afraid - ride sensibly and you won't need extra fuel, unless it's an Evo in which case you'll need the approved Hebo auxiliary tank.

This years regs will be sent out at the end of the month with the entry packs.

Use a camelbak rucksack and carry everyting in there you can dump it at the top of each section and pick it up as you go.

Can't believe your chubby a*** had the energy to carry a bag to the top of every section :D

Luv from Perce the Moosebag user

When I rode way back in 1992 on a 311 mont (with large capacity tank compared to todays bikes) I ran out in the middle of nowhere. Had I not had a 'bottle' (PJ1 2T oil bottle actually) I might still have been there ! :mellow: The bottle of juice just got me to the next fuel stop !

One thing no one has mentioned is the fact that if you come off and the bike tips out some of its fuel you are potentially gonna run dry. You cant always get your bike the right way up quick enough (especially after 3-4 days and you are Knackered !

Given the the FACT that most riders carry a 'bottle' and the fact that modern trials bikes have small fuel tanks - I would say its high time for the SSDT rule committee to accept a standard & safe 'bottle' for riders to carry around - so they are not ridung against the rules.

C'mon SSDT time for a minor tweak to the rules here and at the same time ensure safety.

Me were I to ride again a bottle & Hebo tank would be a must ! (As you never know if you will need it or not)

Cheers

GAW

Edited by Scoobydo