Front aux tank yes or no?

mexmex

The Hebo auxy tank empties first as the fuel in it gets drawn into the normal fuel tank by the vacuum created by the fuel gravitating into the carb.

Despite the weight penalty MexMex, it's probably best to just get used to the bike with the Hebo tank fitted as sometimes the sections are close to the fuelling points so you'll be riding them with the auxy tank full. If you were only thinking of carrying 500ml, why not just half-fill the Hebo tank at the fuel checks instead of filling it completely. Or don't fit the Hebo tank and just rely on the kindness of others if you run out... :ph34r: .

What it will give you is peace of mind for if you get lost, miss a flag on the moor and have to backtrack to the route, have a big off on the moor and lose some fuel, melt through the petrol pipe because you've roasted the engine and the pipe is touching the back of the cylinder (yes I did see that last year on a Beta Evo), the list goes on.

Anyway, seems like folks are going on like they just give you a dash of fuel at the checks and you'll more than likely run out...it's just not like that!! The club don't want to be having to go out looking for folks run out of petrol here there and everywhere, that would be a nightmare.

Can I just ask why it is that the club are called upon to justify every rule in the regs (yes you know who you are)? Everyone knows the rules when they send in their entries, if they're not happy about whatever, let someone else take their place! That goes for the p65 as well, remember everyone involved is giving up their own time at their own expense to run these events. Mini rant over.

¡Vivan los 6 Dias!

Edited by craig10

Despite the weight penalty MexMex, it's probably best to just get used to the bike with the Hebo tank fitted as sometimes the sections are close to the fuelling points so you'll be riding them with the auxy tank full.

This is exactly what I'm doing those days. I did a morning practice for 1:30 and I had to carry the fuel up front only for half of the time. It's not the best but I will get use to it eventually.

How many miles separating fueling points?

This is exactly what I'm doing those days. I did a morning practice for 1:30 and I had to carry the fuel up front only for half of the time. It's not the best but I will get use to it eventually.

How many miles separating fueling points?

Depends, but from memory more or less about 20 miles, less I think if there's a long moor crossing like on Saturday from Blackwater Dam round to Bradelaig (15 miles-ish) but more if it's on the road, like from Fort William down to Chairlift (25 miles-ish).

At least 5 fuel stops a day, maxmum mileage on the longest day is about 130 miles I think.

Edited by craig10

The Hebo auxy tank empties first as the fuel in it gets drawn into the normal fuel tank by the vacuum created by the fuel gravitating into the carb.

Despite the weight penalty MexMex, it's probably best to just get used to the bike with the Hebo tank fitted as sometimes the sections are close to the fuelling points so you'll be riding them with the auxy tank full. If you were only thinking of carrying 500ml, why not just half-fill the Hebo tank at the fuel checks instead of filling it completely. Or don't fit the Hebo tank and just rely on the kindness of others if you run out... :ph34r: .

What it will give you is peace of mind for if you get lost, miss a flag on the moor and have to backtrack to the route, have a big off on the moor and lose some fuel, melt through the petrol pipe because you've roasted the engine and the pipe is touching the back of the cylinder (yes I did see that last year on a Beta Evo), the list goes on.

Anyway, seems like folks are going on like they just give you a dash of fuel at the checks and you'll more than likely run out...it's just not like that!! The club don't want to be having to go out looking for folks run out of petrol here there and everywhere, that would be a nightmare.

Can I just ask why it is that the club are called upon to justify every rule in the regs (yes you know who you are)? Everyone knows the rules when they send in their entries, if they're not happy about whatever, let someone else take their place! That goes for the p65 as well, remember everyone involved is giving up their own time at their own expense to run these events. Mini rant over.

¡Vivan los 6 Dias!

Well said Craig :thumbup:

Oh, Old Trials Fanatic - time honoured phrase is this:

If the hat fits, wear it!

I wasn't actually directing my comment at anyone in particular, but there you go...it wasn't even on this thread!

Big John

Edited by Big John
  • Dislike 1

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Mini rant over i will now tug my forelock and write out 1000 times i must never question anything anybody north of Hadrians wall ever says :popcorn:

Your local hardware store must love you, I bet you grind your way through at least two axes a month.

• Like 1

Message to Yoram - you'll have your hands full riding the Scottish as is without worrying about fuel. If in doubt, fit a Hebo tank and be done with it, you won't notice the weight, all those huge rocks, long moors, miles of road will take your mind off a couple of pounds at the front of the bike.

Message to Yoram - you'll have your hands full riding the Scottish as is without worrying about fuel. If in doubt, fit a Hebo tank and be done with it, you won't notice the weight, all those huge rocks, long moors, miles of road will take your mind off a couple of pounds at the front of the bike.

Agree 100% and this is what I'm doing now - practicing with the Hebo tank installed.

Agree 100% and this is what I'm doing now - practicing with the Hebo tank installed.

Well done MexMex, you listened to reason, fit approved Hebo tank across the forks, make sure it doesn't snag anything, remember the SSDT racing plate will have to be fitted in front of your tank after signing in on the Sunday. My son has ridden the SSDT twice with Hebo tanks fitted, no problems, but he did not link it in to main tank, he kept it only as reserve and emptied it by tubing when his tank got low. Army were happy to fill it up and not worry about taking it apart which saves time too.

Best of luck in the 100th edition of the greatest trial on the planet!

Lastly, watch out for the guy who interviews riders for the radio station, I believe he asks difficult questions!

Big John