US World Round? Never Again?

the observer

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Well done the Aussies :bouncy: I know New Zealand will never have a world round :crying: , so this is the closest they will get. The fact is that it is very expensive for teams and riders to travel outside europe, and with so few rounds you have to be thankfull for what you have had, or what you can get. Motorcycling New Zealand tried to get the motorcross but could not raise the funds for the F.I.M so the federations also have to pay large ammounts. So sorry but maybe 2013 for the USA.or NZ :rotfl:

Pete

From what I understand, there's some sort of massive fee associated when the teams travel outside of Europe that is basically to help the teams with the expenses of traveling overseas. This is charged to the promoter which makes it near impossible for them to break even on hosting one. This is all hear-say though.

From what I understand, there's some sort of massive fee associated when the teams travel outside of Europe that is basically to help the teams with the expenses of traveling overseas. This is charged to the promoter which makes it near impossible for them to break even on hosting one. This is all hear-say though.

You are right Trialsin1, but if the Aussies can do it why can't America?

Good point observer, really good point. Maybe it should fall on the entire trials community not just TTC or whoever's hosting it???

It's my understanding the goverment is helping pay for it. Just as their TDN team gets goverment help like the olimpic team.

Until the FIM lifts this "new" rule I don't see anybody putting on a U.S. Round

At the last TTC Hosted WR, I heard Dan B. was hit at the last minute with a rule requiring him to pay the Hotel Bills for riders and staff. Another Sport Killing Rule from the FIM?

PS. My son who was entered in the 125 Division slept in a tent all weekend. Maybe we could issue tents to all the competitors as that would save money and insure an even playing field.

I think the only way we can get a World Round back in the States is if the FIM gets rid of the rule requiring promoters to foot the hotel bills. Or if Trials becomes popular in the US, (highly unlikely) and ticket sales can offset the cost. Japan has rounds every year and it is much farther but they have a huge audience of ticket buyers. Big audiences also brings money from sponsors. It's too much of a niche sport here.

The amount of spectators at the 2006 World Round at TTC was good, but in 2008 the numbers seemed down due to the recession and with today's high gas prices it seems like a losing proposition for any promoter.

It's my understanding the goverment is helping pay for it. Just as their TDN team gets goverment help like the olimpic team.

Until the FIM lifts this "new" rule I don't see anybody putting on a U.S. Round

The USA sends a Team to the TdN every years and we don't need government support to do it. So stands to reason that we should be able to put on a WR without asking Uncle Sam to pay for it.

How about it Aussies? Is your WR government supported?

I think the only way we can get a World Round back in the States is if the FIM gets rid of the rule requiring promoters to foot the hotel bills. Or if Trials becomes popular in the US, (highly unlikely) and ticket sales can offset the cost. Japan has rounds every year and it is much farther but they have a huge audience of ticket buyers. Big audiences also brings money from sponsors. It's too much of a niche sport here.

The amount of spectators at the 2006 World Round at TTC was good, but in 2008 the numbers seemed down due to the recession and with today's high gas prices it seems like a losing proposition for any promoter.

No disrespect but its that thinking that has us stuck without a WR. FIM is not going to change this rule so it is up to US to change how we put on a WR. Hoping for the spectators to cover the costs will not do it anymore.

Japans WR has a major sponsor...Honda. The track, Motegi is owned by Honda. There are hotels onsite so they can cover the FIM hotel needs.

So maybe we need to find an event sponsor (Monster, Lucas Oil...) to cover up front costs or a location that can donate some rooms, like Donner or Taos or Whistler.

Its a problem and it needs a solution.Like this.

Edited by the observer

At the last TTC Hosted WR, I heard Dan B. was hit at the last minute with a rule requiring him to pay the Hotel Bills for riders and staff. Another Sport Killing Rule from the FIM?

PS. My son who was entered in the 125 Division slept in a tent all weekend. Maybe we could issue tents to all the competitors as that would save money and insure an even playing field.

Kramit, I am not sure the Hotel thing was a total suprize, just somewhat shocking the cost! I was told some of the numbers at one time, but all I can recall is vague, something along the lines of you gotta have 30 or so rooms reserved for the week for FIM, Press maybe and not sure what or whom above that.

Estimate, 12-15K!!!??/depending. Just for rooms.

I do like your style , though. I would make the kid sleep in a tent too, while I went to town for cold a/c, hot showers and food! :thumbup:

Kramit, I am not sure the Hotel thing was a total suprize, just somewhat shocking the cost! I was told some of the numbers at one time, but all I can recall is vague, something along the lines of you gotta have 30 or so rooms reserved for the week for FIM, Press maybe and not sure what or whom above that.

Estimate, 12-15K!!!??/depending. Just for rooms.

I do like your style , though. I would make the kid sleep in a tent too, while I went to town for cold a/c, hot showers and food! :thumbup:

That was my plan, but he "lost" the car keys!

The USA sends a Team to the TdN every years and we don't need government support to do it. So stands to reason that we should be able to put on a WR without asking Uncle Sam to pay for it.

How about it Aussies? Is your WR government supported?

... and last year we could only afford to send a TDN team consisting of three men and two women. Thats embarrassing.

I have only been involved with trials for about 4 years, and come from a racing background. It amazes me to no end the lack of promotion for all events, whether it be at the local, state, or national level. Point is, to make a world round truly successful and draw a good turnout, the sport needs to be promoted better at all levels to generate increasing interest and create a stronger fan base. Riders here on their own have to discover the sport of trials, which is well hidden. Instead, proper promotion should be utilized to garner their attention and PULL riders in.

Edited by Motomofo1

you did not know?......trials in the US is a secret sport......for example just look up the local clubs websites and try to figure our how to get to an event....most of the maps suck and it is hard to figure out the dates etc.....try to find a bike for sale while your at it....