Gears

robbybobby

Wellcome to the forums. Fortunatly a few of us are still able to find and ride trials with interzone or tracks/rough country to cross between sections e.g. SSDT average of 100 miles a day. with this in mind yes higher gears are needed. Whilst all weight is relevant a few gears down in the heart of the motor /gearbox /C.O.G. are far less relevant than e.g. a full tank of fuel on most bikes.

As anybody who has ridden a Scottish Pre65 "legal" Bantam will know you cant have too many gears. If you havent just try to imagine a three speed Bantam on trials gearing on the road. You dont need a speedo a calander would be more appropriate :rolleyes:

Anybody remember the Alta Suzuki with three speed box, or was it four? i seem to recall it was three, that had a lever on the top of the cranckcase to change to high or low ratio for the whole box. Never really caught on but seemed a good idea to me anyway.

As anybody who has ridden a Scottish Pre65 "legal" Bantam will know you cant have too many gears. If you havent just try to imagine a three speed Bantam on trials gearing on the road. You dont need a speedo a calander would be more appropriate :rolleyes:

Anybody remember the Alta Suzuki with three speed box, or was it four? i seem to recall it was three, that had a lever on the top of the cranckcase to change to high or low ratio for the whole box. Never really caught on but seemed a good idea to me anyway.

Sounds like a honda trail 90 with the dual range gearbox ....

I publish my first post out of pure ignorance but I can't seem to find any info on the matter. It seems most bikes run a 5 or 6 speed gear box. Just wondering if all those gears and the added weight are necessary?

If you ever pull a GasGas Pro gearbox apart you`ll realise that the "extra" gears doesnt drive the weight.. :)

Take a look at this document

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Pro%20Transmission%20gears.doc

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

I suppose if your travelling far distances on the bike then the gears would be great to have. The land that my club leases isn't all that vast and is quite steep and rocky. I was thinking more along the lines of comp specific bikes for riding short, technical sections.

I suppose if your travelling far distances on the bike then the gears would be great to have. The land that my club leases isn't all that vast and is quite steep and rocky. I was thinking more along the lines of comp specific bikes for riding short, technical sections.

Thats exactly how their build for both technical sections AND travelling. Dont know the gear ratios, but the first four is very low geared, and fifth and sixth are high for travelling.

-Jan

Thats exactly how their build for both technical sections AND travelling. Dont know the gear ratios, but the first four is very low geared, and fifth and sixth are high for travelling.

-Jan

• 6 months later...