Gears

robbybobby

My sherco feels like it needs a gear between 3rd and 4th. Getting around the loop between sections, 3rd is too low but 4th is too high... Anyone else with a sherco confirm this?

My sherco feels like it needs a gear between 3rd and 4th. Getting around the loop between sections, 3rd is too low but 4th is too high... Anyone else with a sherco confirm this?

Prolly true on a 250, as the gap is wide for woods work, yet the 2.9 has a bit more guts and is less likely to fall off the power. A tooth or two on the rear makes a difference, yet you will likely ride most sections in second gear, which is fine if you adjust to it. Seems a drop to 9 on front is just too much.

Prolly true on a 250, as the gap is wide for woods work, yet the 2.9 has a bit more guts and is less likely to fall off the power. A tooth or two on the rear makes a difference, yet you will likely ride most sections in second gear, which is fine if you adjust to it. Seems a drop to 9 on front is just too much.

I am due for a new rear sprocket anyway as i noticed last weekend that i have several chipped teeth on my rear sprocket, which is a 42.

Just to clarify, with the style of riding we have here in competitions there is very minimal 'trail' riding between sections (sometimes getting to each section is harder than the sections themselves ;) ) and i don't think i've ever used 5th gear in the almost 12 months ive owned it. I occasionally use 4th just to give it a go but almost always immediately change back to 3rd because 4th labours too much. So realistically, i don't use 4th or 5th gear at all. When on my mate's 280 Ossa there's no problem as it has the extra grunt to just pull away without labouring.

Also, i often find that 1st gear is too fast when i'm trying to navigate a tight section and second gear a tad too high for most climbs. I overcome this due the Sherco's suburb clutch which i feather through most sections... i love that clutch...

Looks like i'll be ordering a 44 sprocket. Sounds like just the thing i need to suit the terrain we ride. I just hope the 44 sprocket makes enough of a difference because the 4% difference or whatever it is doesn't sound like much.

I have the stock chain, is there likely to be any issues with the chain having enough length? And also the hardest part... which colour to choose? ;)

cheers

I am due for a new rear sprocket anyway as i noticed last weekend that i have several chipped teeth on my rear sprocket, which is a 42.

Just to clarify, with the style of riding we have here in competitions there is very minimal 'trail' riding between sections (sometimes getting to each section is harder than the sections themselves ;) ) and i don't think i've ever used 5th gear in the almost 12 months ive owned it. I occasionally use 4th just to give it a go but almost always immediately change back to 3rd because 4th labours too much. So realistically, i don't use 4th or 5th gear at all. When on my mate's 280 Ossa there's no problem as it has the extra grunt to just pull away without labouring.

Also, i often find that 1st gear is too fast when i'm trying to navigate a tight section and second gear a tad too high for most climbs. I overcome this due the Sherco's suburb clutch which i feather through most sections... i love that clutch...

Looks like i'll be ordering a 44 sprocket. Sounds like just the thing i need to suit the terrain we ride. I just hope the 44 sprocket makes enough of a difference because the 4% difference or whatever it is doesn't sound like much.

I have the stock chain, is there likely to be any issues with the chain having enough length? And also the hardest part... which colour to choose? ;)

cheers

You should always change front and rear sprocket together as a pair along with the chain. That way they all wear in together and last longer. A worn chain on a new sprocket will knacker it in no time plus as the front rotates possibly four times more than the rear if the rear is worn the front and chain most definately will be. Fronts are cheap enough as are chains so false economy to run worn parts on new. IMHO of course B)

You should always change front and rear sprocket together as a pair along with the chain. That way they all wear in together and last longer. A worn chain on a new sprocket will knacker it in no time plus as the front rotates possibly four times more than the rear if the rear is worn the front and chain most definately will be. Fronts are cheap enough as are chains so false economy to run worn parts on new. IMHO of course B)

Totally true ! IMHO :)

Just a waste of $$$ not to do it all at the same time.

Glenn

cheers

I agree that two teeth on the rear is not a tremendous difference, yet more a tradeoff. The stock gearing on a 125 is 9/44 as an example, yet they like to rev a bit more.

If you really do not need the top speed of 5th gear, you could experiment cheaply with a 9t front just to see how things feel and find a balance there before dishing out for the whole kit. Chain fitment can be a pain, as most years use a half link and you may need to cut it out to drop a tooth on front. Depending upon what floats your boat, then decide, A 9t front def slows the bike and narrows the ratios, use 4th with the most ease for sure.