Need more power

fatbastard

My son has just got an 125, he has been used to riding a Evo 200cc for last 9 months. He feels the bike has a real lack of power compared his 200cc and to 125cc Gasser's he has had a shot off.

An example 3rd gear hill, lack of power at the top the Sherco dies if you were to come off throttle then back on (requires a handfull of throttle and ping of the clutch). The same hill on Gasser you can come off throttle and back on with out it dying on you.

We can fully understand the difference between engine sizes but are the different manufacturers really going to make much difference. Could some people just prefer the power delivery of a Gasser or would it be the bikes just set up differently.

Would a High Compression Head and change Jets make much difference. I know some say change Carbs but on the flip side they require a lot more maintenance so probably prefer to stick with stock Carb.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I hadnt thought about the front pipe, thanks.

What size of rear sprocket would you recommend ?

looks like theres 46 plus a 48 available ,has the bike been serviced ,or carb been cleaned out if its the later type i hear they have all kinds of fuel problems with the tank been at the rear , a new fuel filter can help ,and i think you can fit a larger fuel needle valve to allow more fuel in ,iam sure a more experinced sherco rider will soon advise

Hi

Make sure you have a quick action throttle, the 125s cant respond like the larger capacity. Phone the importer he should help you with all the settings, and any mods you require. The 125s are great machines but need a lot of rider effort but in the long run he will really learn how to get the most of the bike,

Pete

Is it fresh? 125's do need more frequent piston replacements than the bigger bikes. Was speaking with one of the RYP team members last year during spring training and he was very excited about the power of his new 2011 125 then(Almost typed "he was gassed about the power...but realized that wouldn't have been right!)

Couple of quotes in this topic I would love to hear the reasoning behind.

Hi

Make sure you have a quick action throttle, the 125s cant respond like the larger capacity.

Is it fresh? 125's do need more frequent piston replacements than the bigger bikes."

I rode the p*** out of the wifeys 125 when I had it. Loverly little bike and I left it stock, but second gear at WOT was all it would pull on big hills with me onit, and I am not heavy. Add, you don't let off!

It is not a 200 and will never be. Just gotts learn how to ride the thing. It does teach you how to get the most out a bike! :thumbup:

We where very happy with the power of my son's 2011 125 Sherco. When he rode the GG he said they didn't have as much power.

For sure put on a 48 rear sprocket. Biggest improvement. Jetting-leave in the stock 40 pilot and go with a 112 main. A S3 head with the "high high" insert helps a little, but not much. S3 header pipe didn't make much of a difference. While on that, make sure the reducer is still installed into the stock header pipe.