Observing - How To Get Started?

johnnyboxer

At Sunday's Trial, I was talking to another competitor about Observing and he said he Observes at the SSDT and has a great week out

This struck a cord with me, as I've been thinking about it for a while at big Trials (which i'm not good enough to ride anymore)

I'd like to Observe at big Trials like the Reeth 3 day, maybe the Scott and ultimately the SSDT, plus a few Nationals or BTC in the fullness of time

I realise you have to start small, but how do you get into it?

Is there any training, at Club level or ACU?

How do you know when you're ready to do a big Trial?

Obviously I don't want to get it wrong and this is the bit that scares me silly, because riders put a lot in, especially in a Championship event and I'd be horrified to make an error of judgement to lose someone the Trial and consistency is key, along with clear interpretation of the rules

Any ideas or help would be gratefully received?

Edited by Johnnyboxer

just offer your services to the organisers mate, Im sure they will be glad of your help :icon_salut:

as long as you are consistant with all levels of riders, and you understand the rules

, just go for it

I have observered at all levels of trials from club right through to WTC, and can safely say I wont be doing anything other than our club trials from know on, its not worth the hassle/ stress, especially with the current arguments with the no-stop etc at National/ BTC level

just offer your services to the organisers mate, Im sure they will be glad of your help :icon_salut:

as long as you are consistant with all levels of riders, and you understand the rules

, just go for it

I have observered at all levels of trials from club right through to WTC, and can safely say I wont be doing anything other than our club trials from know on, its not worth the hassle/ stress, especially with the current arguments with the no-stop etc at National/ BTC level

Thanks

Regarding the rules, do I just read the ACU Handbook and try to interpret them or can a Club official give me a practical approach

I think more people would observe, if they weren't scared too

I think Clubs could run a coaching session to enable people to get it right

Firstly you will be welcomed with open arms i can assure you because the one thing more scarce than new land is observers.

Basically the first thing is to actually know the rules and predominately that is just reading the ACU Handbook. You would be amazed how few riders ACTUALLY know the rules. They know what they think are the rules but in reality know very little or choose to interpret them to their advantage as they see fit.

Talk to the CoC and they will give you a section, if you are nervous, that is easier to mark for your first time. Then take it from there.

I do so wish there were more people who put something back into the sport instead of just taking out and please guys dont give me all that "i dont have the time wife / kids / work bull****. Clerks of the course and their teams "dont have the time" either the difference is they make time so the rest of you can enjoy the fruits of their efforts. So dont be so self centred be more like Johnnyboxer and offer to do your bit. To paraphrase "Dont ask what trials can do for me ask what i can do for trials" :popcorn:

:agreed:

Graham, I totally agree with you. My suggestion about a training video, was not suggesting that the observer in question needed it (far from that, i think he did a good job) and I'm sorry if that's how it came across (my communication skills are not brilliant).

What I mean is, if their was such a training video, it would be easy for anybody who maybe observing at an event, to just go and watch it, so they maybe better prepared, brush up on something they may have forgot, or if new to observing, learn on what to look for. Surely this would be good for the sport and it might even gain more observers, as more people may feel better informed and more confident about doing it.

This is a good idea and the ACU should implement it

As an experienced rider, you already have a good understanding of the rules , go to your club and volunteer your services, you could stand with another experienced observer for a day, or move round the sections watching and scoring for your own purposes and compare them with the observer on that section (tell them you are going to do this because you want to become an observer). Once you've done a few trials and feel confident, speak to any of the clubs that run a trial you want to observe at, (there is always a shortage of observers and helpers, at club trials, but the some are quite popular).

The main thing, be consistant with YOUR scoring, as long as you treat everyone fairly and equally, you shouldn't have too many problems. it's not an easy job, well, it is, and isnt, it just depends on how thick skinned you are, the guy on section 35 of the Wallace, will tell you that.

Well done Johnny for thinking about doing this after reading the thread on the Wallace Cup. This sport would probably not exist if it wasn't for all the volunteers, who help run the club, national and WTC. Thanks to you all.

Edited by JJ65

As well as knowing the rules, it is probably advisable to get a feel for the local culture in how they are applied.

As a rider I see competitors get away with all sorts of things which if I was observing would be a five. This seems to work because everyone "knows" what is generally acceptable, although it may not accord with what the rule book says. I've even got observers to correct the score they were going to give me on a couple of occasions as, where I'd fived a section about three times over in one attempt, they were going to give me a three because I'd "tried so hard" and eventually got my wheel spindle past the ends cards.

Observing at the Scottish would be great, I'm sure you'd have a ball. However, if I was doing it I'd probably risk being "relieved of my duties" as for me a stop is a stop and gets five marks in the observers book.

Having said all that I do recognise that observers do an invaluable job and it's probably me at fault if I object to them being a bit "kind" on occasion, especially if they do the same for everyone else.

Firstly you will be welcomed with open arms i can assure you because the one thing more scarce than new land is observers.

Basically the first thing is to actually know the rules and predominately that is just reading the ACU Handbook. You would be amazed how few riders ACTUALLY know the rules. They know what they think are the rules but in reality know very little or choose to interpret them to their advantage as they see fit.

Talk to the CoC and they will give you a section, if you are nervous, that is easier to mark for your first time. Then take it from there.

I do so wish there were more people who put something back into the sport instead of just taking out and please guys dont give me all that "i dont have the time wife / kids / work bull****. Clerks of the course and their teams "dont have the time" either the difference is they make time so the rest of you can enjoy the fruits of their efforts. So dont be so self centred be more like Johnnyboxer and offer to do your bit. To paraphrase "Dont ask what trials can do for me ask what i can do for trials" :popcorn:

Totally agree OTF.

I had some issues with the trials offered by my local club having just moved to the area. Rather than moan, I went to the AGM and joined the committee. I run a company, have a new house and a family, time is an issue. However, if I'm not prepared to give up a few hours a month, I might find I have every Sunday morning available in the future!

Well done to Johnnyboxer for putting your hand up, not out.

Graham

I'd say watch the most experienced observers you can and check how they mark to the rules they are observing to. Then I'd check the actual rules and see how they match up. One thing I saw and marked as a five I went and checked. It actually wasn't a five but everybody I talked to including the CofC would have marked it as a five. I "ease" the rules when I mark certain clubs or events because they either don't or can't set out to the rules they use or the riders are Beginners and being flexible helps in those circumstances.