New 05 Beta, Rear Tire Air Leak

feetup

I could use some advice, I have a new 05 beta that started with a very slow air leak. I used some water and soap to find the problem area, and discovered that about half of the spokes are leaking air very slowly through the top of the nipple! I've never seen anything like this before, although i have heard that tubeless tires do leak small amounts of air. I tightened the spokes a bit using a spoke wrench, some of which were very loose. I was careful not to overtighten, just to make sure each had a nice 'ping' when you tapped it with the wrench. The problem has gotten worse. The tire has gone completely flat in 2 days. I don't think there is any leak from the tire itself.

I haven't spooned the tire off yet to see if the rim strap is defective (missing?) as I was hoping to find a nice hole in the tire that could be plugged :rolleyes: I guess that's the next step, but would anyone care to offer any other reasons or causes for this problem?

many thanks,

robert

Leaking spokes are an annoying and recurring problem in my experience. If I were in your situation I would wap a tube in and have done with it. For me spending hours greasing nipples and siliconing the rim tape in is just not worth it to fix a puncture when it can be fixed for little cost in 30 minutes and the problem won't come back, of course you then run the risk of puncturing the tube and the tyre will leak again, but it is not often that anything goes right through a tubeless tyre which will puncture a tube.

Update:

I removed the rear tire and inspected the rim band on the rim.. no apparent holes or damage, however there was a lot of silty dirt in there. I wanted to do the job right, so I removed the rim band completely, washed and cleaned the inside of the rim and checked the spoke holes on the inside for burrs. There were several burrs caused by whomever laced up these rims at the factory. Looked like they were in a hurry with that flathead screwdriver. Ok, so smoothed those off, and went about re-seating the rim band. Before I did this, I held the band up to a bright light, and stretched it as much as I cold to see if i could see a pinhole anywhere, but none found. Rim band was re-seated (harder than changing a rear tire I have to say ...) and then tire re-installed. Crossed my fingers and filled her with air.. ssssssssssssssss hiss! still from the spokes only now it's worse. I have to believe at this point that the rim band is defective, and there must be a hole there somewhere that i am unable to see. It is rather hard to stretch, so it may not be easily visible.

I expect to recieve new band next week from my dealer, so we'll see how that works out.

Wiyhout doubt you have the right attitude, the spokes can't leak if the band is ok. Pay particular attention to the valve o ring and spacer etc and if unsure a little silicone here is ok. Big advantage of doining the job as it was intended is you should have confidence that it wont leak when done right.

rypusa will show you how.

Nb a tube will reduce grip of the rear tyre.

I dunno this topic has done the rounds a few times, you guys faff around with new rim tapes listen to the blah blah website...all a waste of time.

The sikaflex in my Scorpa wheel is doing the job just fine, I take it NB you didn't use the stuff I sent you?.

Of course pop a tube, you won't notice the difference with the "loss of grip" (if any at all) the only thing it might get is a punture if the tyre did spin (No Security bolts)

Take it from me you'll p*** around with rim tape forever and a day...Sikaflex it in and you can get on with riding your bike :rolleyes:

Edited by Marky G

I have bikes using modern tubeless and vintage tube type. To me, no question: stuffing in a plug or two to finish the day vs. wheel, with bead locks, to remove and disassemble and patch tube makes the choice. I would not put a tube in an original tubeless tire.

I have used silicone, and slime, and rim band dry, and rim band with silicone. I will try finding the US version of this sikaflex. sounds interesting.

k

Hey Kevin, Sika is a supplier here in the US as well, you can google around and find them.

Here is a site that has it available mail order.

http://www.lupers.com/results.asp

The only thing about using silicone and other "hardening" type of sealants, yes I know the inside stays pliable, but the skin hardens, is that when you do have to go in and do it again, it can be a real bugger.

Anyway, have fun and hope to see you guys in July..

I dunno this topic has done the rounds a few times, you guys faff around with new rim tapes listen to the blah blah website...all a waste of time.

The sikaflex in my Scorpa wheel is doing the job just fine, I take it NB you didn't use the stuff I sent you?.

Of course pop a tube, you won't notice the difference with the  "loss of grip" (if any at all) the only thing it might get is a punture if the tyre did spin (No Security bolts)

Take it from me you'll p*** around with rim tape forever and a day...Sikaflex it in and you can get on with riding your bike :rolleyes:

think marky is having a laugh lads sikaflex does hold windscreens into cars but it sets very hard if you need to adjust your spokes or realign a rim it will make it nigh on immpossible

GREASE

Its cheap, easy, stops your spoke ends rusting, you can tighten your spokes and it stops leaks.

Don't waste your time putting a tube in.

How many new vehicles have tubes in tyres.

Its like going back to crossply tyres.

If you want an easy life use grease.

Mark T

How about SiliGrease? :rolleyes:

I just got the new rimband tonight, tomorrow I'll go to the marine shop and see if they carry silkaflex, or other silicone that doesn't dry 'hard'. I've read both threads on Tc regarding options, and I'm leaning towards the grease/soft silicone camp. If you use a hard silicone and something causes a crack, you've got air. The logic behind the grease makes sense to me. Any air will force it down into the nipples, plus you can still tighten the spokes (a plus)

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out, but many thanks for all the helpful feedback to everyone.

cheers,

rob