Starting Problems 04 Txt Pro 300

tonyr6

When I ride my buddies 300 - I have to remind myself to give the kick alot of extra snap compared to my 250. When warm - his bike wont start without giving it a crack of throttle during the kick. Starts right up when everything done right, but is a PITA if you get one thing wrong. He starts it 1st kick everytime. I would switch bikes with another 300 rider and see if the problem follows the bike or the rider. FWIW: My dad used to put head spacers in some of his customer 300's to make them easier to start.

Good luck with the bike - I know it can be frustrating when it wont start. My favorite bike of all time was a 1 kick starter and I think that really played into why I liked it so much.

Edited by laser1

its ngkBPR5ES 25thou but ive tried altering gap! ive ordered an iridium plug BPR5EIX to try !! cap looks ok im going to start working back from the plug if things dont improve ie cap,lead,coil etc??

I assume that's 0.025" Imperial ;) Try a new plug cap and cut the HT lead back a bit

Cant help thinking fuel tho if it starts initially, does the choke speed up the tickover?

Have you done a compression test?

yes it does speed it up but doesn't need choke for long!! yes 0.025thou!! will try new cap tomorrow and have a look at the lead as well !! will nip to my mates and do a compression test over the weekend thing is when its running i cant fault it, it pulls like a train and is smooth ?

Its a strange one then, have you checked the breather hose on the fuel cap, try starting it with the cap off!

Fuel filter on the petrol cap clean and fuel runs out at a decent rate? Check the pilot jet AGAIN

Clean the earth on the CDi unit?

Recently had a chain saw that would run for 10-15 mins or so then refuse to start for a while it was the coil breaking down.

As you say when its running you cant fault it probably is simple when you find it :wall:

just an update did compression test yesterday reading on average 120lbs sqin or just over 8bar !! changed the plug to an iridium BPR5EIX went for a ride and stopped after 1/2hour took ages to start again??? started on 2nd kick this morning from cold with choke no throttle?? things improving slowly!!

Here is another idea for you. You know the bike starts cold and not hot. So it is apparantly temperature related. When trying to diagnose an ignition problem on a car a while ago, I used a heat gun (or hair dryer). Because I knew the vehicle would start cold, I heated one thing at a time and then tried to start it. You could begin with the coil. With the bike cold, heat the coil and see if it starts. If it does, the coil is not the problem. Then do with the stator, then the carburetor, voltage regulator, CDI, etc.

Just be careful if you use a heat gun to not cook things too hot. Don't use a flame torch to do this - remember you are around gasoline / petrol and other things that can catch fire.

In the case of the car, it turned out to be the sensor in the distributor that signaled to spark.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/40937-bike-cut-out-and-now-it-wont-start/

Bit of a long shot but have a read of the above. My 2006 300 had very similar problems to yours. When she did start she would run great, but over a few rides she got harder and harder to start (hot or cold) until finally wouldnt start at all. Maybe your Regulator is slowly "breaking down" as I suspect mine did.

May have nowt to do with it but worth a quick look !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Have a look at the electrics, if the ignition system is a Kokusan, then there is likely to be nothing wrong with this except for there being a bad ground/earth on the voltage regulator unit, located under the headstock, if it is a Ducati, then there are 2 problem areas to look into. There is a finned aluminium control unit under the tank, this may have a fault, try exchanging with a known good unit. Some of the Ducati ignition systems have a very weak pick up sensor, try adjusting the air gap between the pick up sensor, located on the outside of the magneto in the 2 o'clock position, and the flywheel to 4 to 8 thou and see if this helps. From reading about your problems, it may well be this.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Tony,

Have a look at the electrics, if the ignition system is a Kokusan, then there is likely to be nothing wrong with this except for there being a bad ground/earth on the voltage regulator unit, located under the headstock, if it is a Ducati, then there are 2 problem areas to look into. There is a finned aluminium control unit under the tank, this may have a fault, try exchanging with a known good unit. Some of the Ducati ignition systems have a very weak pick up sensor, try adjusting the air gap between the pick up sensor, located on the outside of the magneto in the 2 o'clock position, and the flywheel to 4 to 8 thou and see if this helps. From reading about your problems, it may well be this.

Bye, PeterB.

The 05' 300, and sometimes the 04', did seem to have hot-start issues, which may be related to the stator windings. You might try closing the plug gap up in stages to see if that helps and if it does, perhaps a new or rewound stator will solve the problem. I know a change to an NGK BPR5EIX helps and they take less juice to fire, which indicate a weak stator output as at least a possibility.

Jon

im working nights tomorrow so weather permitting im off for a ride in the morning !!! will let you know how she performs !! when you start with choke after stopping are you using any throttle?

Tony, surely it is a mis type, or mis understanding, but you needed to raise the floats, not lower them. lowering them would been if you had carb upside down.

Some people enlarged the choke jet a tiny bit with drill, I read back in those day, on this very website.

Instead, I think I have bigger pilot, and have a easy to do routine, to make the bike start one kick, even when temps are below freezing:

step 1, open choke, put bike in 3rd gear, rock the bike back and forth approximately 3 times, plus 1 time for every layer of clothing you wear when trying to start (to be comfortable), including the undewear, weather you wear em or not, hehehehee (rocking back and forth equals 1 time). You have to hear the piston moving up and down, which is about 2/3'rds of a revolution for the crank...

So nice summer day, in the morning I rock 5 times, shift to neutral so no drag, kick the bike, starts 1st kick almost every time! saves wear and tear on kicker too! PLUS, in winter I have rocked (as my heavy coat I will count generously as no less than 3 layers) plus sweatshirt, etc, about 10 times or more. one event jan, it was 34 degrees, starts second kick after rocking it 9-10 times. NO, cannot open throttle when kicking, you can just as it starts to fire though... it seems to load more fuel into cylinder for a nice rich start. My rule of thumb for rocking is becauase you dont need no where near 10 rockings, on nice days! hell I flooded it that way, thought I had a problem becuase I was chatting to someone while rocking and did it too many times. :blush: