Here We Go Again !

twinshockdude

Converted monoshock - therefore not elligible to compete in the twinshock class in Normandale or Sammy Miller series

In club trials, it's up to individual clubs whether they allow it to compete in their twinshock championship class (ie: allow a rider to use it but not be elligible for their championship)

They are a 'nothing' bike. They never existed when new so no-one has any affinity for them, never rode one when they were new or aspired to own one (because they never existed) Built purely to get the biggest machine advantage possible in the twinshock class, no other reason.

• Like 1

Yep, make superb field bike or cheap trials bike for a begginer or someone who can't afford a real bike. Nothing wrong with it....... for a couple of hundred quid!

Anyone turning up on one of these at our club trials would be most welcome, I'd love to have a go on it but they couldn't enter it as a twinshock!

We'd accept it in our Miller round, they could ride around with a gang of us on trail bikes who also ride just for fun. No problem.

The owner would get their money's worth.... a few hundred quid that is. But it is NOT a twinshock class machine and never will be.

Whilst I agree with all of the above, and just to open this particular can of worms a little further, could some one give me a valid reason why later FANTIC engines , the grey reed valve ones in the second wave monos, are accepted in highly doctored 240 frames. When this one is beyond the pale.... Just so no one thinks I am sitting on the fence... I think they should both be treated the same.....however....

Two ways of looking at putting the air-cooled mono engine in a twinshock. One for, one against.

Against - it is post twinshock era therefore shouldn't be allowed.

For - reed valves have been around since the early 70s and were fitted to Yamahas (and Suzukis I think) as standard, Ossa UK were fitting them to the MAR as early as 1974/5. Many privateers fitted reed valves to their twinshocks. Therefore there's nothing wrong with someone fitting a reed valve to a twinshock Fantic. By the same reasoning, you may as well save yourself the engineering work and/or cost and just fit a later engine. Same result, different means.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it. There is nothing, in any of the classic events I've ridden anywhere, that a standard 200/240/300 Fantic would be stretched on - or any other of the later twinshocks. They're well in their comfort zone and nowhere near the limit of the bike's performance. The trials are nowhere near as hard as the BTC and WTC of the day, so how can they be.

I've always felt that the 38mm forks, later engines etc. aren't worth it as they don't give any real advantage in the events in which they are ridden. A standard bike will easily cope with the sections - in the end, it's down to the rider.

Converted monos are a different thing altogether though. Personally I don't see the point or the attraction of a bike that never existed, other than looking for a performance advantage. I don't understand the 'I want to ride twinshock trials'. thought process. A trial is a trial, I'd have thought it was more a case of I like such and such make bike, for whatever reason (twinshock, modern, air-cooled mono) therefore you get one and ride it in whatever event is suitable.

• Like 2

I totally agree with Woody on this,a clear and well thought out answer to a bike that only serves to wind up riders of suitable bikes.If that bike turned up at a Bath club trial it would not be turned away.What I would do though is to encourage the rider to enter in the over 50 mono class,or if the rider was younger I'd just remind them it is a classic club with clear guidelines on machine classes.As we dont give awards there is not really a problem,but if enough club members ask to run say a summer series with awards,then it would be a different matter - I couldnt see a converted mono taking an award away from a standard twinshock.

Two ways of looking at putting the air-cooled mono engine in a twinshock. One for, one against.

Against - it is post twinshock era therefore shouldn't be allowed.

For - reed valves have been around since the early 70s and were fitted to Yamahas (and Suzukis I think) as standard, Ossa UK were fitting them to the MAR as early as 1974/5. Many privateers fitted reed valves to their twinshocks. Therefore there's nothing wrong with someone fitting a reed valve to a twinshock Fantic. By the same reasoning, you may as well save yourself the engineering work and/or cost and just fit a later engine. Same result, different means.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it. There is nothing, in any of the classic events I've ridden anywhere, that a standard 200/240/300 Fantic would be stretched on - or any other of the later twinshocks. They're well in their comfort zone and nowhere near the limit of the bike's performance. The trials are nowhere near as hard as the BTC and WTC of the day, so how can they be.

I've always felt that the 38mm forks, later engines etc. aren't worth it as they don't give any real advantage in the events in which they are ridden. A standard bike will easily cope with the sections - in the end, it's down to the rider.

Converted monos are a different thing altogether though. Personally I don't see the point or the attraction of a bike that never existed, other than looking for a performance advantage. I don't understand the 'I want to ride twinshock trials'. thought process. A trial is a trial, I'd have thought it was more a case of I like such and such make bike, for whatever reason (twinshock, modern, air-cooled mono) therefore you get one and ride it in whatever event is suitable.

:agreed:

Damm glad I've not got my monocoque Suzuki B120 Lampkin special anymore , I'd be skinned alive , seriously though why does'nt the Trials Twinshock world follow similar rules applied in the scramble world ,IE: twinshocks must have cable drum brakes and be period to the year or they get moved into "prototype" / "evo" classes .... personally I'm running a Pinky because I dont want to trash my Hi-Boy Bultaco but after the weekends terrible ride I may just switch bikes and be done with it. But then again am in the over 50's so should be there just for the fun of it , but then again .....

All best

Greg