Bike Classes....modern, Twin Shock, Evo &....evo-Plus Anyone?

iconic558

This is going to sound like a proper rookie question, but here goes,

...as I understand it there are only 3 main overall 'bike classes' for trials....if we take out vintage brit stuff?

1/ the modern stuff, where anything goes class.

2/ the twinshock class.

3/ and the evo class, which I think is air-cooled mono pre 1990?

But there seems to be a missing class?....some of those so called 'modern', 'hi-tech', 'cutting edge' modern class bikes with mono and liquid cooling are well over 20 years old, and two decades development is, in my experience light years in respect of better design for competition bikes.....I come from a enduro background so I'm assuming a lot here with respect trials bikes ?

I'm thinking of all those now 'obsolete' but useable trials irons many of which would be classed as 'field bikes' by some now, barely worth the price of an engine rebuild for many bikes. Those which fall into the trap of being too 'new', but way too old to be seriously competitive in trials by Mr Joe Average rider. The result being they will simply sit in a shed rotting away unloved, but would make a good cheap way to get into trials, what with the prohibative prices of twinshocks and the mega buck evo's.

Also, these low tech LC's have a large 'bike park' supply to keep prices down and there are quite a few choices about, Beta's in from 1989, Yamaha TYZ's, Fantic Sections, Aprilia Climber (1st LC mono?) and more.

I'm not sure what the class would be called........evo 'plus'...'monkey motors'....'20/20' and 'wet ones'...maybe taken already?

Just an idle thought from someone new to the sport....maybe we need to wait another 10 years as these 20 old bikes are possibly still too good, if so why don't see too many being used?

I'm only interested as I'm looking at a Beta Zero....my wife loves purple, so maybe able to slip this past her... to go with my Rev 3 and was thinking there would be something like an 'old nail' class, unless I've missed something.....which is very possible ;)

The classification can be either ability of the rider or the machine they ride.

In my local centres people will often ride the middle or easy course on a twin shock, or air cooled mono or even a liquid cooled bike. The three classes are not specific to the bike you ride but to the severity of section you want to ride.

There are some specific events for older bikes of any age and we do have a national series for pre 65 / twin shock / air cooled mono.

nothing stopping anyone riding in my centre on a liquid cooled bike from any era in any class they want, so I dont see there is really an issue here.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

Agreed. Any and i mean any trials bike out there is capable of completing the easy route at Club trials. As an example at our last trial a guy, albeit a very good local rider, on a rigid Bantam thrashed everybody on the Expert route beating even twinshocks and air cooled monos.

Trials, thank god, is still mostly about the rider not the bike. A lot of people would have you believe otherwise because it is always easier to convince yourself and others that your poor ride was because of the bike or somebody else had a better one instead of the truth that your poor score was because you dont have the talent.

Then again if you already ride a Rev3 you know that already dont you?

As above , the rider is the entry , not the bike , although your skill level and bike will be placed against like counterparts ... Thats alot of the beauty of trials .

And I've watched a pro or two on my trusty old Fantic do things with ease and finesse , that I couldn't do with Bou's bike and minders !!!

Glenn

• Like 1

Ohh, I can't have put that across very well, more a point of machines not riders capability.....we all know know Senor Raga could 'clean up' on Honda TL-125 in a club trial, I'm all for that!

No, I'm thinking, more a way of getting more trials fun for less money and still be feel competitive for a decent rider of good ability and a good excuse to dig out those bikes.

"A lot of people would have you believe otherwise because it is always easier to convince yourself and others that your poor ride was because of the bike or somebody else had a better one instead of the truth that your poor score was because you dont have the talent.

Then again if you already ride a Rev3 you know that already dont you"

...not sure with you on that 'old trials fanatic'...yes I have a Rev 3....and yes, I'd be even worse on Bantam and no I have never pulled the "he had better bike" card...no one would believe me ;)

The urban myth of "all these bikes lying in sheds" is just that and applys to all bikes of all ages. There must be thousands of bikes somewhere but where?

Breakers yards!

lets be honest, some of the bikes at club trials are sheds. Who is going to repair a 2002 Sherco 250 that needs an engine rebuild, mudgaurds, and the complete set of bearings and bushes for the suspension (that it really needed at 24 months old).

Nobody, its financial disaster. Its better to sell it on Ebay and put your money towards a newer bike.

Just once i would like to have a "proper" scrutineering session at a club trial, there would be a lot of folk going home without a ride!

Breakers yards!

lets be honest, some of the bikes at club trials are sheds. Who is going to repair a 2002 Sherco 250 that needs an engine rebuild, mudgaurds, and the complete set of bearings and bushes for the suspension (that it really needed at 24 months old).

Nobody, its financial disaster. Its better to sell it on Ebay and put your money towards a newer bike.

Just once i would like to have a "proper" scrutineering session at a club trial, there would be a lot of folk going home without a ride!

I stood in for a scrutineering session at a Track & Trail hare and hounds few years back due to a couple of broken ribs....really frightening what some riders want to compete on......missing spokes "been like that for years", sticking throttles "it's Ok I allow for that when closing the throttle"....collapsed wheel bearings with tyre rubbing on rear swinger....but one guy had no rear brake lever, not even fitted let alone broken, but insisted he never used the rear brake anyway ... !

Breakers yards!

Short of a few major issues, I figure one can keep that bike in good nick on an annual cost of 3-500 quid, possibly less for a punter.. Just how does that compare to the depreation expense of a new one?

Seems to me anything out there built in the last decade is competitive enough.

Short of a few major issues, I figure one can keep that bike in good nick on an annual cost of 3-500 quid, possibly less for a punter.. Just how does that compare to the depreation expense of a new one?

Seems to me anything out there built in the last decade is competitive enough.

no, i agree with you , a constant trickle and a little effort keeps a bike sweet, those who know me and ride my bikes know they always feel like a "new" one.

My argument is that too may people don't, bikes become very tired and to return to a usable state where everything works renders it beyond economic repair.

These are then sold on Ebay as "needs a few jobs". unsuspecting punter who is wanting an entry bike purchases, and the cycle starts again.