What Tires?

philrain

You could tell it was non-standard with just a " look" ?

With Xlites being so good already, would Michelin really go to the bother of making different tyres when trials is such a small market? I think not . Its not as though Michelin get the spin off sales from trials that they get from GP or Superbike sponsorship to make it worth their while.

To be honest i used the Mitchelin x11 tyre for a while and found that my mates where using the IRC which seemed to be better in slippy conditions. So i changed to an IRC and was quite shocked with the gtrip. The Mitchelin tread used to flood very easily in mud making the tyre look like a big brown doughnut and virtually impossible to grip. I definatley think the IRC is a better tyre with the soft compound on the inner tread and the harder on the outer. But to be honest unless you are a world class rider its quite hard to tell the difference.

what? just for bou's bike?

yeah sure. . .

They Will be Specially made for Honda Montesa, Whatever you think, The Specially manufactured Michelin tyres come with those Michelin Sidewall decals on, Like they have on Bou & Fuji's Monts, Wherever Honda is concerned they will have the best of the best quality products made.

post-6577-0-93744700-1345802133_thumb.jpg

Edited by benbeta23

I'd be willing to bet that at the most the top riders may have a choice of rubber compounds available , but the actual tire construction is the same . And as to the silk screened logo or decal on the sidewall ... that's just advertising for mich... It's common practice in any race series .

Trials is such a small market (even at the world level) that changing construction methods is cost prohibitive , but changing the mix poured into the mold is easy and cheap . Changes in density , adhesion , and porosity can all be made quite easily , and will have drastic effects on what the tire will do under certain conditions .

Glenn

• Like 1

I think Glen has hit the nail on the head.

Having seen the Tyres up close it would seem a bit strange that the Tyres only special treatment is a screen print michelin logo quite small?

Also as party to this conspiracy theory are the non believers saying that bou and Fuji didn't test the X kites before production?

• Like 1

Joking apart the Fim technical rules are not rigidly enforced, afaik there has never been a suprise weigh in which could be interesting ditto the small tanks on some bikes whichnare not allowed to be refilled and so on.

So whilst the Tyres appear the same I have my doubts

With the state of world trials you would of thought that the rules would be strictly enforced to try and keep the playing field as level as possible and at least limit some of the costs.

Off the shelf Tyres could be supplied on the day and only fitted by representative of the tyre company and mimimum weight is a piece of cake to check.

ok then benbeta23 and nigeldabster.

what was so different about the tyre that you could tell it was specially made? just by looking at it

apart from a sticker on the sidewall lol.

Edited by neilh

Without actually knowing I'd say with 99.9% certainty that Montesa will use the same X Lite as everyone else.

If they were any different do you not think that Gas Gas, Sherco, Ossa, Beta etc etc might have kicked off just a little by now?

What would Michelin gain from giving them better tyres? No one uses anything other than Michelin so it's wasting money for nothing. They're going to win every single round regardless