Cracking Frame This

theshercorider

Well this is a racking frame! In more ways than one. When rebuilding my bike earlier. I noticed a crack, then another, then looked round the other side of the frame and there were another two.

Here's a few pics I took...

9A97CF05-D0D6-47BC-BE2D-C5602F711C53-7375-00000876E0D0072E.jpg

CD120D0F-F456-44B4-B88B-26E93FDB4DE9-7375-00000876EB3795F5.jpg

8A4CD141-2D43-4E26-A4CC-0E5EC2C631F9-7375-00000876F21A1037.jpg

81F34FC1-8DA7-4CF0-A7DE-595A22BE5428-7375-00000876F7EA5BC3.jpg

Fair enough it has probably taken a fair battering from me but I am not Albert cabestany over here. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? It is a 2010 bike/frame?

I recall sherco being quite good with frame replacements or is that me getting it mixed up with a push bike company?

If not can I weld it up easily? I.e is it not some funky alloy that needs special treatment?

Cheers for any help

Yea, that bike is well ridden! Doubt you will find much warranty but it would take me little time with a disk grinder and the MIG to toutch that up!

Nothing special about the CrMo really, although you will get other opinions. The welder himself being more important than the method used.

If you have a good TIG man nearby, use him, your call.

That looks, to me, to be a classic case of an engineering business that does not believe in finite element analysis when designing a new fabrication (frame). We're not just looking at a few poorly penetrating lug welds, the stresses in that frame have not been accounted for. IMHO

If a Beta frame cracked I'd think it would be tricky repair compared with the Sherco.

These bikes are built to be light so no way can a maker build something that will stand repeated heavy use.

Some riders would break an anvil so I wouldn't be pointing any fingers at particular makes.

I was just winding them up didnt think anyone would bite. I've had Gas Gas frames crack , just routed it and welded it up never had any problems with it again.

I'm think manufacturers build bikes for weight not longevity , trying to get you to upgrade every year.

Edited by fatbastard