Scott Trial Marking

steam

Can someone explain the marking system on the Scott. I have watched videos and noticed several riders in a section at the same time. Are the sections not walked thhrough first and are there more than one observer at each section ie one observer/rider in the section. I am puzzled as to what happens.

1 for a dab

2 for 2 dabs

3 for 3 or more dabs

5 for stopping - even if due to sections blocked by other bikes - it is the riders choice when to enter section

There are usually 2 observers per section.

You write down the riders number with his score against it, rather than having to find his number to enter the score against.

This means the observers card shows the order in which the riders attempted the section as well as their scores.

Cheers

Perce will be along soon with the correct version but you have one observer and one number taker, basically one is a crosscheck on the other, so if for example someone misses a section their number and a numbered score would both be missing.

I observed an early section a few years back and it gets quite "hectic" at times!

Edited by nigel dabster

With due respect dadof2 i understand Trials marking but question the accuracy of even 2 observers trying to watch 2 or more riders each. I am sure there is a satisfactory method in place, but i am too thick to see it yet.

Only one observer records both the riders number and their score. The other person is purely a number checker who makes a note of the riders numbers as they pass through the section. It's a double check, to make sure riders don't miss sections then later claim to have done them. Number checker is normally at beginning of section and the observer at the end.

With due respect dadof2 i understand Trials marking but question the accuracy of even 2 observers trying to watch 2 or more riders each. I am sure there is a satisfactory method in place, but i am too thick to see it yet.

Are you aware that it is a time trail as well as an observed trial?

They don't have time for the niceties of waiting to be called, as they are racing against the clock as well as the hazards.

I have seen gentlemen riding over the horizontal wheel of a fellow competitor who has fallen over.

I knew they were gentlemen because they said thank you as they disappeared over the horizon.

Riding over the wheel gave considerably more grip than the rocks did.

It should be noted that the Scott regs state that anyone entering a section before the preceding rider has completed it does so at their own risk - if the preceding rider holds them up or causes them to stop them its their tough luck. I saw one rider have to hop and balance while the preceding rider got out of the way - I must admit that I wasn't sure whether it is marked as no-stop, or stop allowed.

Well b????r me, I always thought the other bloke was observing as well. I have observed a few times though not recently. On one or two occasions I observed the section alone. You can observe several riders at a time with quite good accuracy as you stand where they are all in the line of vision though possibly you miss the odd dab, and all the riders get the benefit of the doubt. I think your concentration is naturally drawn to the riders who keep their feet up longest. I would think the Scott has less protests over marking than other national trials. The final spread of marks between competitors is usually such that a few observing errors would not affect the result.

Cheers

I repeat. how can an observer watch more than one rider in a section?

The snarl ups mostly occur early on in the Trial. Each Obsever team do it there own way but quite often there's 3 or 4 of them working the section. The observer book has lines of 0 1 2 3 5, so the observer writes the rider number & then a cross against the score. You might get one writing, another calling rider numbers & another observing. At most of the sections there is also a number checker who writes the numbers down of the riders as they arrive. This is used in the results room to cross reference errors which occur in the observer book regarding rider numbers. A common error is typically writing #13 instead of #113. Both books are done chronologically. Outstanding score queries which occur are decided at the C of C's discretion.

I've been observing on the Scott for the past ten years and it depends on the section, I find, as to how easy it is to mark.

If it's an early section, as mine was this year, it gets quite full at times. Having said that, the peripheral vision is a wonderful thing and as long as you get the numbers written down sharpish as each rider enters the section it's fairly straightforward to see who has dabbed.

The simple fact, I suppose, is that it's not entirely possible to see every single mark lost by every rider, but it's unusual to get it wrong by more than one mark, as evidenced by the extra members of the observing team who always verify the score I give.

• 2 weeks later...

Steam, you should try riding the Scott.

The last thing you care about is getting the wrong score in a section. :)

The organising is Unbelievable, about 80 sections, each with at least two observers, and 80 miles of flagging, all off road.

The best one day trial in the world.

Steam, you should try riding the Scott.

The last thing you care about is getting the wrong score in a section. :)

The organising is Unbelievable, about 80 sections, each with at least two observers, and 80 miles of flagging, all off road.

The best one day trial in the world.

Aye, for the majority there's only one person to worry about & that's the bloke with the clock, the rest is irrelevant if you can't get it round within 2 1/2 hours of the fastest man.