My 8 Year Old Options

tlrbc

Guess there is more rotational mass in larger wheels, so should we go for a small wheel from 8-13ish then a 125 big wheel

Have a Automatic 50 or 80 then introduce the clutch in a 125...

He is ridding the same electric Trials he has had since he was 2

I don't care for automatics because at some point he will need to learn the clutch.

Though there is some to learn moving from electric to gas

But he has ridden enough gas moto bikes but all automatic

So the question seems to be, Sherco 80 or Beta 80

Who has what experience please

I figure the autos are not like trials because of no clutch.

Just got my 8 year old a Gas Gas TXT70, replete with clutch and 6 gears, He had a Beta mintrial, but he needs to be doing it properly now. Can't help thinking that I should've got him the Gas Gas 50 with clutch instead of the auto Beta, But we like Betas in our house, but reckon the 80 would be too much for him.

My 8 year old has been on a Sherco 50 for the last 18 months and its been brilliant, but we're also just trying to work out the next move.

Thinking medium wheel beta or gas gas is the way forward with clutch and a few gears.

buy him a clipic if you can find one.

they are 4 speed manual if my memory serves. . .

cheap to buy.

let him learn on it and wreck it.

then buy him a beta / gasser when he can ride tidy

Edited by neilh

My son started on a ty80 at 8 and I would definitely recommend. I put a lightened clutch lever and he really learned well on it. He won a few trials and really liked it.

For the next step I got him a big wheeled Whitehawk, and also by chance came upon a 2009 clipic. Got to say, an excellent bike -I would even say better than the Beta in a lot of respects. He now rides the clipic at 10 (and does well) and the Whitehawk now and again.

So....8 year old I would say TY80 every time........

And for fun with your son , you can always do a big wheel TY80 conversion like I did , and by the time your done , your son will understand and appreciate his bike and it's workings even more ...(we can hope )

http://www.trialscen...ous-ty-80-mods/

And in the end it turned into a competitive twinshocker that always draws alot of questions as to just what it is :)

Glenn

And now I find myself looking for a TY175 for his move up ...

Edited by axulsuv

I started out at around that age on a Beta 50, moving quickly onto a Beta 80 (both geared). I then went on to a Sherco 80, which I personally found far better than the beta, but thats my opinion. At first I was very weary of a clutch and wanted an automatic, but within a matter of weeks I was used to it and having a clutch is far better, and will help him in the long run. Definitely try and get him on as big a bike as possible (physically not CC) to get used to it, but don't try and rush him into one when hes not ready (if hes quite small for example(if you see what I mean?)). I was quite a small nipper so couldn't progress onto a 125 too quickly, but found once I did, it helped me progress to no end.