Lol At The Fim

NAD1

Ok fair comment,but to me they just look out of control,hanging on by the skin of there teeth and when they do get to end of section i think to myself was that skill or luck.

well the way things are going you will find out for yourself, "skill or luck" :icon_salut:

Obviously the older riders will favour no-stop rules and the younger prefer to stop, this is understandably because the majority don't understand modern trials riding techniques, yes it makes it very inaccessible to many riders because the skill level of the top 5 in the world is so high, but making it no-stop wil be taking a step backwards, the sport has evolved why would we want to hold these riders back from pushing the boundries? The problem lies at grass routes, there isn't enough done to take trials to the public and show them what is possible, if kids get involved young enough they will reach these levels with the right approach... As for the ssdt and Scott, yes, they are the most watched events but they are watched by the same ageing spectators who go there every year as a tradition. Very few first timers will go and watch the ssdt... And think about it like this... If you took someone to watch trials for the first time what would inspire them more- Lampkin cleaning pipeline or Toni bou cleaning a WTC section?

Over the last two or three years we have constantly heard from people who argue against using Non Stop in the British Championship. with the cry....

"It's not fair to handycap our TOP riders by making them ride Non Stop in the UK and then ride Stop allowed in WTC."

I guess the descision to go non stop by the FIM will at least satisfy all the people who used that argument..... I'll wager that not one of the people who used that line will now be happy.

It's still going to be a case of "It's my way or no way!"

well the way things are going you will find out for yourself, "skill or luck" :icon_salut:

Sadly not,i for one will have no interest in watching no stop trials,watched it late 70s early 80s did nothing for me then.

Similar cock up happened in Moto GP ,when they were 500cc 2 strokes the governing body decided they would like to save the plant and introduced the 990 cc four stroke then they decided the 990 was to fast and needed to slow them down so they introduced the 800cc which ended up being faster than the 990 because it could carry faster corner speed now they have gone back to 1000cc.

From a riding point of view, I cant see how going no stop is a good thing. All these riders practising the stop skills for years suddenly being told "you cant do that no more, you've been wasting your time" All I can hear is the 80's war cry "leave that clutch alone!". You only have to look at the kids at local trials, they are not watching the pre 65's thundering round. They are watching the experts hopping, air turning and front wheelying about. The stopping adds to the tension. These are our next generation and if they are not impressed then they are not interested. The theatrics add to the spectacle, everyone loves to see a bit of showboating. The FIM and the ACU need to sort themselves out and get Trials back into the mainstream and on TV. Everyone harps on about kickstart but look what it did for trials in this country.

• Like 1

From a riding point of view, I cant see how going no stop is a good thing. All these riders practising the stop skills for years suddenly being told "you cant do that no more, you've been wasting your time" All I can hear is the 80's war cry "leave that clutch alone!". You only have to look at the kids at local trials, they are not watching the pre 65's thundering round. They are watching the experts hopping, air turning and front wheelying about. The stopping adds to the tension. These are our next generation and if they are not impressed then they are not interested. The theatrics add to the spectacle, everyone loves to see a bit of showboating. The FIM and the ACU need to sort themselves out and get Trials back into the mainstream and on TV. Everyone harps on about kickstart but look what it did for trials in this country.

Most of the kids doing trials have also got trials push bikes and thats not to practice no stop trials.Oh well look on the bright side at least thats one DVD "WTC" we wont have to buy end of next yr.

essexukay - fully agree with you there. pretty much all other motorsport seems to have slots on tv / sky etc except trials. occasioanly some obscure channel that no one knows about shows an hours worth of a two day world round. fim / acu need to push to get the sport back in the public eye, when people ask what sport you do and you tell them they look blankly back at you until you mention kickstart.......ohhh yes i remember that etc etc.

the other point is no stop is just plain boring, i have just got back into the sport after a 10yr break and i still practice stop and hoping (not as good anymore) and thats the way i prefer / enjoy riding. changing to no stop will not change the results or get more riders, and in fact i belive will be worse for the sport by turning away the few spectators we actually do get.

Trials has received pretty good TV publicity in recent years on Men & Motors. A one hour slot from each Indoor and Outdoor round. I really can't see that continuing under no-stop rules. You can't polish a turd.

Trials has received pretty good TV publicity in recent years on Men & Motors. A one hour slot from each Indoor and Outdoor round. I really can't see that continuing under no-stop rules. You can't polish a turd.

but you can roll it in glitter

and that's not Garry :hyper:

Edited by wetfeet

You need mainstream tv. Listen up ACU, get Red Bull in and make a new version of kickstart. Knock on the doors of the manufacturers and say chip in a bit with bikes and riders and you will sell some bikes. Have a christmas special thats pro/am celeb special. Jobs a good un, Trials saved. Thank me later.

• Like 3

essexukay - fully agree with you there. pretty much all other motorsport seems to have slots on tv / sky etc except trials. occasioanly some obscure channel that no one knows about shows an hours worth of a two day world round. fim / acu need to push to get the sport back in the public eye, when people ask what sport you do and you tell them they look blankly back at you until you mention kickstart.......ohhh yes i remember that etc etc.

the other point is no stop is just plain boring, i have just got back into the sport after a 10yr break and i still practice stop and hoping (not as good anymore) and thats the way i prefer / enjoy riding. changing to no stop will not change the results or get more riders, and in fact i belive will be worse for the sport by turning away the few spectators we actually do get.

Boring?

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

I went to 1 round of the BTC last year and thought it was fantastic, one of the best trials i have ever watched. yet it didn't go down well at all with some people. When watching the best in any sport i want to be left gob smacked wondering how the hell they did that. People jump out of airplanes week in week out and no one gives a s***e, Felix Baumgartner jumps out of a balloon 24 miles up and millions watch it. ordinary people doing the extraordinary is what capture peoples imagination.

• Like 1

A major part of the problem is that those behind Trials - The manufacturers, the importers, the FIM, the ACU and a large majority of riders cannot appreicate that the sport has evolved. They remember the sport in it's heydey with rose tinted glasses - massive crowds at events, Kickstart being compulsive viewing etc etc. Today's generation are brought up on X-Games and extreme sports. Trials might have been an extreme sport in it's day, but it isn't any longer and no amount of wishing is going to bring that back. The youth of today are the future of the sport and they want to emulate their heroes. Whether that's Toni Bou on a Montesa or Danny Mac on a Cycle Trials bike it's all about the stop and hop. That's just the way it is. The top guys do it so that's what the kids want to do. To say they can't do that... well they'll just bugger off and do something else instead.