Chest Cam, Different Perspective.

b40rt

Interesting. Good Video.

I have been using a Gopro mounted on top of my helmet for trail riding and have been happy with the results other than it does not always show exactly how rough the terrain is.

This is so much of an issue for trail riding as it is still interesting to see the scenery go by.

It looks as if the chest mount is a better option for trials showing giving a better perspective of the severity of the obstacles. Wish I had bought the outdoor kit rather than the motorsport one as it is far more useful of offroad riding.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear with me, this might not work....

I have two YouTube clips of the same trial, one lap with a GoPro on a helmet mount, one lap on a chest mount. Comments on which provides the best view would be appreciated. (Feel free to take the mickey out of the rider too if you wish)

The clips are both 4 to 5 minutes long, but you don't need to watch all of it, obviously!

Mark

Good job editing out the boring bits of standing around between sections and waiting in line. But I did like that you included some shots of other riders also, gave another type of perspective for the camera locations.

The helmet mount seems to have a "downward" view of the terrain and gives a slight distortion (flattening) to the obstacles and angle of the hills. But it also gives a wider of the area around the bike.

Chest mount has a more "straight on" view of the terrain and seems to eliminate much of the distortion (flattening) of the obstacles and angle of the hills. But it seemed to include a large amount of the tank/bars of the bike and not the area around the bike.

I think the chest mount has the better angle of view, now if we can get a slightly different angle to include more of the terrain around/in front of the bike it would be the best of both.

Just my opinion.

Thanks folks, it does seem to be a "win" for the chest mount, other people have said the same. This was the first time I've used it, and as is typical with a Gopro, you can't really tell until after the fact if you have it pointing the wrong way! I'll try to tilt it up a bit further next time, as you do see too much of my knees in this clip.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks folks, it does seem to be a "win" for the chest mount, other people have said the same. This was the first time I've used it, and as is typical with a Gopro, you can't really tell until after the fact if you have it pointing the wrong way! I'll try to tilt it up a bit further next time, as you do see too much of my knees in this clip.

Cheers

Mark

But those are some perty knees! :wub: