Show Your Gas Gas

shercoben12

Hi Seavoyage

That JT350 is exactly the same as my bike. I love it!

TLTEL

The JT35 with stock base gasket and stock timing is a beast to start isn't it? You better have committed cajones to kick start a JT35 (or JTR370)... my Keihin jetting seems spot on, so it isn't a question of if my JT35 will start on the 1st kick; it's if you can successfully kick start it.

If you aren't committed the JT35 will 'bite back' and either break your foot or throw you over the handlebars.

Very linear power and more than enough torque to plow a field - just don't stall it while hill climbing. :crying:

Edited by seavoyage

The JT35 with stock base gasket and stock timing is a beast to start isn't it? You better have committed cajones to kick start a JT35 (or JTR370)... my Keihin jetting seems spot on, so it isn't a question of if my JT35 will start on the 1st kick; it's if you can successfully kick start it.

If you aren't committed the JT35 will 'bite back' and either break your foot.or throw you over the handlebars.

Very linear power and more than enough torque to plow a field - just don't stall it while hill climbing. :crying:

I think the GG factory designed the GT35 and JTR370 like the Honda factory did with the old CR480/500. It's actually a competence test, if you can't start it, you shouldn't be riding it.....:) The 370 was quite interesting as it was a 338cc, high-compression engine but had "370cc" cast on the outside of the cylinder. I'm guessing the prototype was 370cc's so they kept the casting mold but they reduced the capacity after it totally flogged more than a few test riders...:)

I'm trying to remember if Steve rode that bike at the World Round at Donner, he may have. He was mechanically inclined and took extremely good care of his bikes. Steve was a big guy (an Assistant Chief fireman and in good shape) and he had a hard time lightling that bike off so he asked me to make some changes. I re-machined the combustion chamber, which really helped, and he said it was a lot easier to start and ran smoother with no loss of power.

I agree, the 35 and 370 did not reward the timid. Like Steve's 35 and my 370, they were great bikes for Donner at 8200 ft. altitude and we never had a problem with power loss. My 370 was stolen years ago and disappreared completely. Few of them were ever imported here and they are quite rare (if you see one, look for the "JSE" engraved on the cylinder and lots of one-off special parts). I told the investigating Sheriff deputy taking the report to look for a criminal with a broken right kneecap.......:)

Jon

Seavoyage, here's me on the 370 at a PITS Trial event at Frank Raines Park, where you also have probably rode. Great place to ride, used to be a County work farm for inmates, hmmmm, maybe still is in a way.....

Jon

post-2532-0-98291200-1369670514_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Seavoyage, here's me on the 370 at a PITS Trial event at Frank Raines Park, where you also have probably rode. Great place to ride, used to be a County work farm for inmates, hmmmm, maybe still is in a way.....

Jon

Did the British-American Cup at Frank Raines last month on the JT35... and stalled it on a steep hill climb :wall:

Edited by seavoyage

seavoyage.

My bike came to me with a sheared off kick starter, and tales of how hard it was to start.

The new starter cost the same as I paid for the bike. I played with the base gaskets, I now have two in there and it is a great runner and starter, it also sorted out the pinking / pinging issues it had.

Jse

"If you cant start it you cant ride it" Takes me back to when I was 11 and wanted to ride my Dad's BSA C15, that's what he used to say to me. I did it eventually,

TLTEL

• Like 1

Did the British-American Cup at Frank Raines last month on the JT35... and stalled it on a steep hill climb :wall:

For those of you across the Pond, the PITS BA Cup is noted as probably the hardest Trial on the PITS schedule. It is run on the Scott Trial rules (time + observation points and the loop is part of the difficulty factor) and has attracted some top riders (I rode one year with Vesty when he was in the States and the loop was so difficult about 1/3rd of the riders could not make it to the first section. It rained the night before and the muddy hill was near impossible, I fought it 3 times to finish and it almost killed me). Yjro, of course, set "standard time" and he's a rocket on the loop, I tried to keep up with him but only for a short time after seeing my life pass before my eyes several times....

The "British" in the BA Cup is Derek Belvoir and the "American" is Lane Leavitt, both got together and started the event because they like to see other riders suffer.....:) Actually we all looked forward to the event as it was a true test of ability and like the Ute Cup in Colorado, it was an accomplishment just to finish.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...