Really , Is It A Classic ?

shyted

I think compared to some countries we are doing well,we can still ride modified bikes on the road,the Mot is still basic and pretty sensible,(Both my road legal trials bikes are too old to need Mots or road tax.) And as for being hidden or just polished or shown - I dont think so,I took great delight in getting my rigid Ajay into valve bounce flat out in third on a muddy climb at the last Golden valley trial.You dont have to hide them,show people what they will do and inspire younger riders to join in. :thumbup:

• Like 3

I think compared to some countries we are doing well,we can still ride modified bikes on the road,the Mot is still basic and pretty sensible,(Both my road legal trials bikes are too old to need Mots or road tax.) And as for being hidden or just polished or shown - I dont think so,I took great delight in getting my rigid Ajay into valve bounce flat out in third on a muddy climb at the last Golden valley trial.You dont have to hide them,show people what they will do and inspire younger riders to join in. :thumbup:

Absolutely spot on Jon - my sentiments exactly

By definition

"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality."

I guess the key part of the above sentence is OR

I myself am a child of the 80's, cut my teeth on IT175, RD400, the original Katana 1100 and a few dozen others

To me a classic is not really a sign of quality, but something that puts a mark on the map of a certain time

I think a classic is an RZ500, the original, GSXR, Honda Turbo, the first mono shock YZ, I'm sure there is an example of a trials bike that signified a substantial shift in focus or direction, I don't know what bike that is

Looks like classic is pretty subjective, wonder what a 25 yr old guy would list as classic

Oh and I was a motorcycle mechanic when the V45 Magna, Sabre and Intercepter were born, and Gawd what horrible engine, they were 5 years of tech bulletins and at least 4 different cam chain tensioners, Honda must have lost their shirt

I think the Hurricane 600 is more iconic, it absolutely wiped the 2 stokes and GPZ's off the race tracks the year it came out and I hated the thing when it arrived

Edited by 0007

I went to look at an 1983 IT175 yesterday for Vinduro's

It was a sound and mechanically good example (maybe needed some carb work), with ok cosmetics - good but not mint, not road reg (another £200 needed at least) and the guy wanted £1800 for it - no movement

I really couldn't see £1800 in it for a 30 year old bike, which still needed some (unquantifiable) work and registering - when for £2k there's some cracking modern Enduro and Trials bikes around

I think I need a re-think

Keep you're £1800 in your pocket . Let some other mug try to get that magnesium casing that breaks when you drop it , assuming it has the correct case on and not a YZ case for £1800 . Buy a 10 year old KTM , and have fun . My mate had an IT when they were new and sold it after a month ,bought an XR 200 new and had it for three virtually trouble free years of balls out abuse . Walk away !

BilcO I agree that the NSR was a far better bike, so was the Gamma 500 for that matter

I just like the V4 RZ (I guess it was an RD oversees), more of a replica

Johnnyboxer, in 83 the KDX 200 came out and was drastically better in every way, maybe look around for one of them instead

Agree on that 0007.A far more usable, robust machine (KDX) Just don't pay through the nose for an old bike . NSR was a very good bike at the time but the RG was the head banger's bike all that rotary disc valve inducted kick in the ass power ,yum yum !

Edited by shyted

Keep you're £1800 in your pocket . Let some other mug try to get that magnesium casing that breaks when you drop it , assuming it has the correct case on and not a YZ case for £1800 . Buy a 10 year old KTM , and have fun . My mate had an IT when they were new and sold it after a month ,bought an XR 200 new and had it for three virtually trouble free years of balls out abuse . Walk away !

It made £1665 on the Bay today, now you mention it - the bike had a YZ case, but the crumbly Mag brake plates, I should imagine (had enough of them with Twinshock TY's :wall: )

I have a 98 XR250R, which is sound and in great nick - luckily I can ride it in the trailbike class at some Vinduro timecard events, so I think I'll use that and just soak up the old bike stuff, without the ownership hassle

Johnnyboxer, in 83 the KDX 200 came out and was drastically better in every way, maybe look around for one of them instead

Thanks for the tip, never had much to do with Kwackers - I also fancy a 1990 RMX250 Suzuki, for some reason if I can find a good'un

The suzuki rmx can be a money pit, has an appetite for powervalves.

Eats them and destroys the engine.

Rmx - a classic pile of ****e, if it happens!

Many thanks

Another one off the list........................I think i'll stick to riding Trials and just spectate at a Vinduro enduro, it'll be cheaper