Need Help With Technique Please.

skyline1

When I jump my bike over logs & rocks I have a problem with either putting more revs on when landing the front wheel or collapsing my wrist forward.

I don't think I have particularly weak wrists but if I do I better start training them?

It happens when I land on the front wheel first & my weight shifts forward on the bike.

Any help or advise appreciated.

It sounds to me that you're already to much forward on your bike when you land...

I had this once dropping of a rock, went over the handlebars and landed on my shoulder

I now shift my weight more backwards, maybe you should try that too...

Why would you want to be putting revs on when landing on the front wheel? That has no affect? Wait until the rear wheel is on the ground, and then apply revs. Everything should have calmed down by then and you can then judge the revs to apply? If your applying revs in middair and then landing on the front wheel, surely your then putting massive revs on and the rear wheel hits the ground and you shoot forward?

Why would you want to be putting revs on when landing on the front wheel? That has no affect? Wait until the rear wheel is on the ground, and then apply revs. Everything should have calmed down by then and you can then judge the revs to apply? If your applying revs in middair and then landing on the front wheel, surely your then putting massive revs on and the rear wheel hits the ground and you shoot forward?

thats the problem as he lands if its front first he is revving by accident id say as above shift weight to the back

Put thy buttocks as far back on rear fender as you can.

Once thou hath done this you may modulate how far back you need to be for a successful ride.

Also try to not put much weight on your hands, Most of the time your legs take care of the Weight.

If you are just naturally leaning too far forward even when riding on flat ground you may need to get taller bars or even cut the bars shorter. (I will 'splain: If the bars are narrower then your hands move in toward center of bike and this will naturally move your shoulders back and straighten your back. If you are having back pain/strain when you ride this may help.) Of course going too narrow will have negative effects also, gotta find that "perfect spot"

I had to narrow my bars a little bit to get a straight line from my forearm through my wrist, greatly reduced wrist pain.

Put thy buttocks as far back on rear fender as you can.

Once thou hath done this you may modulate how far back you need to be for a successful ride.

Also try to not put much weight on your hands, Most of the time your legs take care of the Weight.

If you are just naturally leaning too far forward even when riding on flat ground you may need to get taller bars or even cut the bars shorter. (I will 'splain: If the bars are narrower then your hands move in toward center of bike and this will naturally move your shoulders back and straighten your back. If you are having back pain/strain when you ride this may help.) Of course going too narrow will have negative effects also, gotta find that "perfect spot"

I had to narrow my bars a little bit to get a straight line from my forearm through my wrist, greatly reduced wrist pain.

Funny you should mention my riding position: I have just started to notice the strain on the back of my neck when riding, just from trying to look where I am going.

I have moved my bars forward in the past because at that time I thought/ felt I needed some extra space. I wonder if I need to adjust them back a little to suit my present riding style. I am only 5.10" so I didn't think I would need taller bars but this may help also.

Hi, Skyline1!!!

I'm a total Novice, so Trial riding advice from me may need to be ignored, But you've sort-of hit on something that I was doing, and had to be told (numerous times!) to correct it by a friend of mine. I don't know if this is "The Problem" or not....

I (still) have a tendency to ride with a lot of my weight on the bars. As I've been told, I need to stand more with my knees slightly bent, back a little straighter than I usually have it, and the feeling of my weight centered on the footpegs. I was told my hands should just sorta be resting on the bars, not the weight of my head, arms, shoulders, & such resting on the bars. I had been riding MX for so long, and with a bike that didn't corner particularly well ('06 Yamaha YZ450), so I adapted & rode with as much weight on the front as I could, in order to get the front end to "stick" in corners.

Sold that bike, got the Gas Gas, and even though I wasn't sitting down (OK, sometimes I do when I don't want to... :shutup: ), I still tended to ride with my weight resting on the bars, and especially when I'm tired. My turns suffer from that, so you may want to look at how you're turning the bike to see if this is relevant at all. You want to do the turns primarily with your feet, I'm told. This requires actually very little weight resting on the bars. I'd say if you feel as if you're constantly doing the "Push-Up" exercise (do you call them "Press Ups in the UK?), you've probably got too much weight on your handlebars.

After that, I'd try setting your bars up in a more neutral position, and double check your lever position. Wrong positioning of these can make you tend to do what I did (too much weight on the bars, not enough on the pegs).

Like Zippy & others have said though. with Trials you do need to move around. Weight back when called for, and weight forward as needed also. Riding position, balance & technique are EVERYTHING in this discipline of dirt riding.....

Are you able to ride with someone more experienced than you who can evaluate & give good advice? That would likely be a HUGE help to you, Skyline1.

I hope this possibly helps, and is somewhat accurate. Like I said, I ride at the Novice level, so I defintely don't have this figured out. I've been lucky and ridden with some guys that are really helpful, and give good advice. This is an attempt to give back...

Jimmie

I did the exact same thing. It sounded like the triple blip technique. (blip, blip, bliiiiip) I believe it was a lack of mental follow through. It went away when I started to think about placing the front wheel on the ground on the far side of the obstacle. Previously, I had just thought about getting up and over so maybe was not prepared for the landing. Once I changed my destination from just getting over to actually placing the front wheel on the ground on the far side, there was a big improvement. This mental change must have triggered physical technique changes but I could not tell you what they were.

Edited by mcman56

Thank you very much for all the advise guys. Food for thought & some good points that I believe will help me no end.

I will let you all know how I get on next weekend.

thanks again, keep the suggestions coming though. I don't get much advise from my riding friends because we are all novice's.

thanks again, keep the suggestions coming though. I don't get much advise from my riding friends because we are all novice's.

I bet you hear a bunch of "You can do it! just give it more gas!.............oh you crashed? HAHAHAHAHA Try again! with MORE gas" :D Those guys are the most fun to ride with. :D

Don't be afraid to try different settings of the equipment on the bike. levers, bar position, bar height, bar width, etc.... Make the bike fit you and you will be more comfortable and will ride better for it.

I bet you hear a bunch of "You can do it! just give it more gas!.............oh you crashed? HAHAHAHAHA Try again! with MORE gas" :D Those guys are the most fun to ride with. :D

Don't be afraid to try different settings of the equipment on the bike. levers, bar position, bar height, bar width, etc.... Make the bike fit you and you will be more comfortable and will ride better for it.

Your so right! at first I used to give it a go every time the lads used to say go on then you can do it, lol. I would say 9.5 x out of 10 I would fall off with no control. I know that sounds odd- fall off with control but I bet you all know what I mean.

I never used to be able to control the bike in my first few outings so the falls started to become expensive. it was when I ended up launching my bike up a tree & braking both mudguards clean off that I took a step back & started to learn trials right from the beginning.

I am about 5 months in now, only riding once a week over winter & can not believe what I am capable of compared to the start.

Apart from the confidence & small obstetrical's I manage to get over, the biggest change is that now I can fall off my bike with grace & keep control to minimize any damage.

Such a long way to go before I get anywhere near where I would like to be. I feel at 44 my knees will give up before I do.

• Like 1

Your so right! at first I used to give it a go every time the lads used to say go on then you can do it, lol. I would say 9.5 x out of 10 I would fall off with no control. I know that sounds odd- fall off with control but I bet you all know what I mean.

I never used to be able to control the bike in my first few outings so the falls started to become expensive. it was when I ended up launching my bike up a tree & braking both mudguards clean off that I took a step back & started to learn trials right from the beginning.

I am about 5 months in now, only riding once a week over winter & can not believe what I am capable of compared to the start.

Apart from the confidence & small obstetrical's I manage to get over, the biggest change is that now I can fall off my bike with grace & keep control to minimize any damage.

Such a long way to go before I get anywhere near where I would like to be. I feel at 44 my knees will give up before I do.

I do understand falling off with control, I refer to it as crashing with style! :banana2:

Yes learning the basics is the way to go for a long future in the sport. At the beginning it may seem boring or that you are not progressing well, but like you said if you look back after learning the basics you will realize how much you have actually improved. One thing that nobody will notice except yourself is how comfortable you feel when you climb on the bike, even just riding down the trail, after you have practiced and learned the basics.

I will be 40 in a few months, so not too far behind you there. I have arthritis in one knee, Knee brace, exercise and anti-inflammatory meds go a long way to keep the pain away. But assuming your knees are in good health, they will only get stronger, albeit they will be very tired first................ ;)