An Easier Way To Remove The Clutch Basket?

teh gaza

Hi, I have a Sherco 2003 250cc. I wanted to change the crank seals. So I replaced the one on the flywheel side no problem. When I went to change the clutch side, The basket was screwed on really tight, so when I tried to remove it with jamming the cog and uses two screwdrivers to hold the basket. I snapped a tooth, so is this going to be a problem. I don't think it will. I have already been out on it a few times after this anyway and it was fine, apart from some clutch drag but I don't think that's related to the missing tooth. So I am going to replace it anyway, the basket, cushions and rivets only cost £40 so its not bad.

So is there a better way to remove the clutch basket or will I need to buy that £75 clutch remover tool from splatshop (and try and return it)?

Thanks

Sometimes our friends in the trials business make it hard for us to support them, Sorry £75 notes for a simple tool is rape.

You can make your own if you have 2 old metal plates and one fibre plate ( if you need to buy them new it will still be cheaper than the tool they have.), i put the fibre plate inbetween the 2 metal plates and bolt them together and then you need to make a bar up.

Your work it out.

Edited by bilc0

...I used a pair of car oil filter adjustable pliers - the type you can get from Halfords (other brands are available) for about 15 quid to hold the inner clutch hub whilst undoing the centre clutch retaining nut. Also have the bike in gear and block/jam the rear wheel/hold the back brake on.

These pilers worked fine for me - just be careful and gentle and don't blame me if anything breaks ;-)

...I used a pair of car oil filter adjustable pliers - the type you can get from Halfords (other brands are available) for about 15 quid to hold the inner clutch hub whilst undoing the centre clutch retaining nut. Also have the bike in gear and block/jam the rear wheel/hold the back brake on.

These pilers worked fine for me - just be careful and gentle and don't blame me if anything breaks ;-)

This sounds pretty good, can you give me a link to what you used from the halfords website please?

was it something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Oil-Filter-Pliers-12/dp/B004ZVB4TQ

thank you

If you can borrow an impact gun from someone that will be the easiest way to loosen it.

Mine came undone using the gun while simply holding the basket still by hand.

Alternatively you can make a holding tool yourself using some sheet aluminium and a jigsaw.

I wouldnt try pulling the wool over anyone's eyes as Splatshop help out on this forum regularly and they are no fools.

If you can borrow an impact gun from someone that will be the easiest way to loosen it.

Mine came undone using the gun while simply holding the basket still by hand.

Alternatively you can make a holding tool yourself using some sheet aluminium and a jigsaw.

I wouldn't try pulling the wool over anyone's eyes as Splatshop help out on this forum regularly and they are no fools.

I'll try and find someone with an impact gun, thanks. And I just don't see the point in paying £80 quid for a tool that I will only use once.

Put the bike in gear, and slot a short length of nylon rope (in good condition with no loose ends) into the cylinder head. I use rope thats just small enough to go through the hole. turn the basket until it wont turn any more. This is the point when the piston has jammed the rope against the cylinder head. The use an impact gun or breaker bar to undo the nut.

Ive used this method countless times and it never fails.

I'll try and find someone with an impact gun, thanks. And I just don't see the point in paying £80 quid for a tool that I will only use once.

Impact gun takes the nut off sweet as can be.

Clutch holding tool makes torquing the nut back down much easier and less nerve racking.

It's a Sherco you will use it more than once. :P I bought the "proper" clutch holding tool from RYP here in the States. Don't remember how much, but I agree it was a crazy amount. But if I would have just bought the tool to begin with my first clutch removal would have been much cheaper. Ended up buying Tool, Basket assembly and pressure plate.......It was a bad day :wall: But I have used the tool countless times over the 7 or so years I owned my Sherco.

I broke one of the fingers off a clutch basket a long time ago whilst trying to hold it with the wrong tools, since then I've always used one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Holding-Tool-/330846020653?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d07f5a42d it has been OK for loosening/tightening up to 80-90Nm with no problems. 2003 Sherco clutch hub should be 60Nm...........

I broke one of the fingers off a clutch basket a long time ago whilst trying to hold it with the wrong tools, since then I've always used one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Holding-Tool-/330846020653?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d07f5a42d it has been OK for loosening/tightening up to 80-90Nm with no problems. 2003 Sherco clutch hub should be 60Nm...........

Thanks, thats perfect I will buy this tomorrow. When you replaced your clutch basket was it already fully asembled, or did you have to put the rivets in?

If so do you or anyone else have tips on riveting the basket to the gear asembly, or is it pretty standard?

Thanks guys

I've never had a Sherco but have used this tool on about 10 different bikes, it isn't recomended for clutch hubs with v or half round grooves but looking here: http://www.sherco.com/wayne/Clutch_Disc_Replacement_Manual.pdf the Sherco grooves have two corners at the bottom, so as long as the fingers of the tool fit inside the case I would have thought it will work, mine is a Motion Pro tool and the fingers taper from 11mm to 16mm over a length of 26mm.

Unfortunatly, if you want to be a mechanic, you must have tools for the job at hand. Otherwise, it is cheaper to pay someone who knows and does!

There are detailed clutch basket replacement instructions on the Splatshop website. Good luck with that as well!

I don't mean to be an ass, but that is the truth! I prolly got more in tools than you got in your car. So go figure! :beer: