An Easier Way To Remove The Clutch Basket?

teh gaza

When I replaced main bearings on my Sherco I had problems getting the clutch basket off. I remember looking at the proper tool and thinking it was expensive for what looks like 'old clutch plates' welded together... so when I replace my clutch plates in the future I will be keeping the old ones and making a tool. Chisel / grind off the friction pads and weld / bolt them together and then weld some sort of handle on.

You can buy a new set of friction & plain metal clutch plates for a tad over £80 and use the old ones to make a tool. Clutch basket removed & new clutch for £10 more than the tool just to get the basket off...

Like others here I used a impact drive gun to rattle the nut off. I found getting the primary gear nut off more difficult, it took about 15-20 seconds with the rattle gun before it shifted. I thought it was never going to come off!

If you buy the sherco tool thats one job sorted, however if you buy a compressor and an impact gun you will be able to do loads of jobs. Go buy a compressor, Copemech is correct doing the job without the right gear is just more expensive in the long run

Edited by baldilocks

If you haven't got / don't want to buy a compressor then one of these...

CEW1000.html'>http://www.clarketools-uk.com/acatalog/CEW1000-1-2--Drive-Electric-Impact-Wrench-CEW1000.html

will do the job. This is what I borrowed off a mate and ended up buying one. Great bit of kit for

Edited by baldilocks

never used a torque wrench in 30 years of working on bikes. Still waiting for the first problem....

Yeah I've decided I'm going to remove the basket with an impact gun, and ill just tighten with a ratchet until its tight enough.

Now with the new clutch basket, I'll need to rivet the gear assembly on to it. Do any of you guys have experience with this and have any tips? or is it just standard

thanks for the help

never used a torque wrench in 30 years of working on bikes. Still waiting for the first problem....

If you have to use a rattle gun to get if off, chances are you will have to use one to get it tight.

I guess it takes a bit of mechanical sympathy !

(unless your ham2 fisted)

There are those "Old Boys" that seem to have a torque wrench fitted inside their wrist. and can actually get the torque within a couple ft/lbs of what it needs to be.

Each to their own I suppose; I've never used an impact gun in 28 years of working on bikes, and similarly have never had any problems. I'm not saying its wrong to use one, I just don't see what advantage it gives.