My 90's Gas Gas Contact250 Project..

j13me

Zippy, I have cut all the wiring up in the picture. All tht is needed is e single yellow wire just going to the regulator, I don't understand why there are so many connections of it?

This reminds me, on the diagram it says the yellow wire goes into regulator, then a red wire comes out and onto the thermostat. Where is the stat? I can't find any more connections anywhere?

The stat is in/by the head. If you watched that 92/93 Gas Gas video he talks about the t-stat and the wiring in general. It's long, almost 30 minutes but worth it to learn the basics about our bikes.

Edited by coop650

Hmmm, watched the video again.. I can't find either type of thermostat!! Wonder if this is why the regulator that should go to the stat has a loop wire and goes back on its self!!

Yeah that's bad. I'm surprised this bike ever ran. Make sure you don't buy any more bikes off of whoever you bought this one from originally haha :D

• Like 1

Spend hours trying all sorts of flywheel removal tricks without puller but no luck :( no garages local have one either! I'm close to giving up on this bike. Its getting annoying now! Was supposed to be a rebuild restoration, not a 2 week struggle just to get it running :(

You really need the proper tool unfortunately. They are cheap and often work on other bikes. Trying to force it off with the improper tools is just asking for trouble. I have removed them in the past using steering wheel pullers but something almost always gets buggered up in the process. Did you call the local motorcycle shops and ask what they would charge to remove the flywheel? I bet it's more than you could buy the tool for and then you would have it for future projects.

Really for a bike that has been sitting for 7 years I am surprised it kicked over at all and wasn't seized from sitting (that's really common). Challenges and problems are part of the game when working on old non-running bikes. Also trying to work without the proper tools really does make things much harder than they need to be. One downfall of working on bikes is you often need a specialized tool set just for your motorcycles. I wish you were in the US I would gladly help. I think a couple hours with proper tools and someone with some bike mechanics knowledge helping, you would at least know what is wrong for certain and could plan on how to fix it.

My suggestion is buy the puller when you can afford it and don't even touch the bike until you get it. That will give you time to calm down and relax. Stepping back and taking time away from a frustrating project helps me a lot of the times. Plus you approach it with fresh resolve, not worn down frustration :D .

• Like 1

Cheers! I am going to the Honda dealership I used to work at, the guy there has a few and hoping one will fit. One of the local garages said take the stator down to them and they may have a known good second hand one to match up for next to no cost so that's handy. What's the chances of it being the same as something else though?

May be worth a trip over the US just to get it running haha

I HAVE POPS AND BANGS AND SMOKE OUT THE EXHAUST!

Started with a mate, getting an opinion on the spark (weather it's too weak) and in the dark its quite blue and strong! I opened the gap in the plug to see if it jumps it which it did. we decided to put fuel in the cylinder and try kick it over to see if it fired.. Which it did, just one pop and a puff of smoke from the exhaust! We put the carb back on and connected fuel tank.. Again.. Little pops and lots of smoke! no start but still a massive progression. Most I have had as of yet!

Where would you guys go from here? I'm pretty happy in the spark being strong enough now after seeing it in the dark. I also noticed it popped when I gave it a little kick rather than full on body weight kick over.

Any tricks you can think of?

I have neaten end up the wiring. I haven't got the voltage regulator or anything wired up yet, just the very basic stuff needed to produce the spark.

I couldn't get the flywheel off so gave up and put it away, only because my mate come over I have got this far haha

You only need a flat road select 2nd or 3rd run along side the bike jump on side saddle as you let the clutch out to overcome the initial compression, then hope off and keep running with the clutch out!

Will give it a try tomorrow (after I bleed the clutch and hope that's all it needs or the bike is getting left for someone to take home)

Once again, thanks for you input.

It would of been back in the shed ages ago to rot if it wasn't for this forum :)

Edited by j13me