My 90's Gas Gas Contact250 Project..

j13me

Thought so, hope it doesn't effect it too much. Used to ride spot on so can't imagine it would.

I know its not ideal but I'm hopefully having the original kickstart tack welded on tomorrow. I'm having it done in such a way that I can grind it off and still fit a new one when i order one but to be honest I have been looking at complete new engines online!

If you weld the kicker on I will almost guarantee the seal behind it will leak due to the heat of welding. Been there in my younger days.

You definitely want the pipe on. You could run a wire coat hanger through the pipe and silencer while it's off to be sure it's clear. Mice like to make nests in exhausts on bikes that sit.

I would really expect a lean condition with the air box off completely so I'm not really sure what is causing all the extra fuel unless the choke is stuck. If you are using the choke be sure to not use the throttle when trying to kick start. That is a sure fire way to flood the engine.

I'm really worried about spending out £100 on a kickstart lever and the bike still needing loads to get it running, I have found similar bikes on eBay in good condition for around £900 so seems silly wasting on this.

As I said earlier on, if it runs and rides ok I'm happy to throw money t it and fully restore but I just need to hearing run before I commit.

Could you take a quick picture of your kickstart please Coop? I have found a few cheaper ones online just unsure if they will work or not!

Cheers

Just received a reply, that's also 16mm shaft so no use to me :(

Gave up with kickstart, figured I would try and bleed clutch and bump start her..

After half hour of messing around trying to bleed it with no luck at all (both pumping lever and syringe back bleeding) I decided to remove the hose, with the resovoir full and the hose off, no fluid flowed when I pulled lever? Surely it should empty its self once the lever is pulled?

At this point I put it away and gave up. Its one thing after another and getting boring now!

Yeah you should keep going with it. I have faith you will get it if you hang in there.

Even mine, the guy was riding it regularly but the clutch drags a lot; like you had better be pointing in a safe direction when you click it into gear LOL. And the airbox cover is missing, it had to be running lean. Plus he rigged Yamaha plastic on it. That little plastic airbox cover is $60 US! I haven't decided if I am buying it or fabbing something.

But I just want to point out all used bikes usually need some work. Yours just more so than others :D.

Its just getting expensive now, kick start £100ish new, master cylinder (£don't dare look) chain and sprockets, tyres and tubes (left them set at around 4psi so tyres which were new have massive cracks and splits in sidewalls) and that's before I no doubt realise the clutch internals are knackered haha.

Once I hear it run I will be happy enough to spend on it but getting to that stage is getting a bit too much!