My 90's Gas Gas Contact250 Project..

j13me

Problem is I do not want to chuck money into to then realise the engine doesn't run good, suspension needs rebuilds etc. so just want it running and going to try it for a few days and then go all out.

Rather than waste £100's on it and still have a bike that doesn't run and needs an expensive engine etc

Was hoping to be off work today as I have been all week (joys of working offshore!) but I'm going out today :( gutted.

Hopefully some late night progress tonight :)

Aft another 50 minute drive to get another kick start (super thin light alloy again :( lol) fitted that.. Went to kick over and the back of the kick start catches!! Again.. I managed to laugh it off.. Spent an hour filing it down so it now clears the frame..

So... Kick start is on.. Carb is rebuilt and on.. New fuel and oil.. New spark plug..

I don't dare try it! Haha!

Here goes.. Watch this space! *please start*

my mates bike 'peter the beta' was refusing to start - fuel? - check, spark? - check.............. scratch head time............ heated up the plug with a blow torch................ zilch, nada.

too much fuel?? we ended up turning the bike upside down, with plug out, turning it over to empty the crank of petrol...................... right way round, plug in and ring-a-ding-ding!

try it.

How would you know your getting too much fuel? After a few minutes of kicking the plug is wet? Clean clear fuel?

Will try that tommorow.. I'm about at my patients limit at minute :(

I'm not in a position financially to be able to book it in a shop for investigation as I have just changed jobs and haven't been paid for 6 weeks :(

Hey guys, some of you may have seen in my project thread I'm having problems getting my Gas Gas contact 250 (1994 ish) figured I stand more chance of getting ideas on here rather than my small build thread..

After rounded of kick start splines, choke levers snapping, new kick start snapping..

I finally have the bike so it kicks over!

I have spark, after a good few kicks the the plug is wet when removed.. Have tried choke on/off. Covering part of inlet, throttle a little open, fully closed.. Staying brake cleaner into carb while kicking..

Nothing! I have been told to turn it upside down to try drain any fuel in crankcase out of the spark plug hole..

Anything else worth trying? I'm kicking it over as shown in the video.. Kick it gently so it just passes TDC then give it a good strong kick (using my weight not leg muscle)

Thanks..

Will give it a try tomorrow. I can't remember if the fuel tap was left on over the years or not! The floats are nice and free and not filled up so should be working properly.

If any of the earths/connections electrically were a problem it wouldn't spark would it?

Do you ever ride Corton Trials Park?

Will give it a try tomorrow. I can't remember if the fuel tap was left on over the years or not! The floats are nice and free and not filled up so should be working properly.

If any of the earths/connections electrically were a problem it wouldn't spark would it?

Do you ever ride Corton Trials Park?

I havent been there, but plan to........... I have only had a trials bike since last september, so its still early days............. I have emailed the owner and he has explained the set up there - it sounds really good.

if the bike was running when you last used it and you have been round the bike and checked it, then logic tells me that it isnt going because of the whole fueling issue...... reed block assembly isn't glued up as well is it?