It Can't Be Fixed.....

pindie

Since having my stator repaired last year on my 2007 Rev 3 200 I am obviously paranoid about another failure. I know that the repair used better quality wire etc so this should not happen but you never know.

I spent a lot of time making sure I had a really good seal when I put the case back on and used and pukka automotive gasket to ensure watertightness.....

After three months I removed the cover to discover that it had damp inside - not really water as such but beads of condensation. Hmmmm, I thought. Is water getting in? Damaged cover? Bad seal?

I have tried everything and no matter what the condesation appears in the cover after very ride wet or dry.

Today I have been out for a long while. Bike well up to temp. Bone dry weather, no puddles and dry dusty ground.

I come home and whip the cover of and you've guessed it. Condesation forming on the inside of the cover. My guess is the breather is either too small to let the condensed vapour escape? Anyone else think this? My next thought is possibly the plastic case just does it naturally and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. I.e. a design fault.

So this leaves me with three questions-

1. Do I just keep removing the cover after very ride when the bike is warm to let it dry out (which I am currently doing)?

2. Buy a new case and see if there is any change?

3. What does veryone else do with Rev 3s that seem to like making water in the stator cover from nothing (this would be well handy in the desert though).

Understand your concern if you have had to replace your stator, but the plastic cover is not meant to be a watertight fit, in fact trying to make it watertight probably causes more problems.

My son and I have had Betas for many years from Technos to EVOs, after use we just remove the cover, blow out any water which may have got in, and leave the bike leaning to the right with the cover off so that any water can drain out and the timing side can dry out if necessary.

A spray of WD 40 will prevent any rust.

• Like 1

I reckon this is the way to go then. Dry, non sealed cover that is removed after every ride. My only concern is really wet sections and river crossings - would water entry be a big problem or does it not happen?

I am happy to remove the cover once back in the garage as the bike just sits on a stand till I next go out. Afterall it is only three bolts to remove to vent the stator and never have another issue.

Surely I can't be the only one that just Jet washs there bike off, quick wipe down,Wd - 40 over the moving bits and puts it away till next time.

I check it over the day before a trial, oil / adjust chain etc.

I have only had the stator cover of twice in three years, once just to have a look when I first bought it and once to replace crank seal. Both times it was dusty dry in there. 1995 gasser 350.

TLTEL

use a tire stem, drill a hole that the stem will fit through at the top of the cover, with a small all steel or alloy stem, install it with some silicone sealer, remove the stem core, when your riding, put a small stem cap on the the stem, wash after ride, and then when your not riding the bike, remove the stem cap.

i used to do this on my vintage bikes with a SEM or Moto splat..keeps the moisture from building up.

dont use gasket sealer, just a factory paper gasket is all thats needed.

if you drill a hole on the bottom, every time you ride through a deap puddle or creek..youll kill the bike..

All points taken. I think some bikes suffer more than others regardless of make and model. I live near the sea on low ground so wonder if the air is a higher humidity which makes it worse. This is the only bike I have ever noticed do this though in 25 years of riding.

Riding trials in Wales means deep water at an event most of the time so I would worry about a hole in the bottom even if only small. Does a spinning flywheel create negative or positive pressure in the case? If negative it could suck a whole load of gunge in when in deep water.You'd then be in deep s h 1 t e.

I like the tyre valve idea. Bigger hole etc = more air and less condesation but still a better but not fully sealed case.

I might buy a new less knocked case anyway and "mod" the old case as a test. I can try both then.

On the other hand laziness may strike and I just whip the bolts out after every ride with my cordless drill and leave the cover off till next time.

Edited by pindie

OK you all seem to be saying I should take covers off and look at stuff.........I am scared I would have to do something about what I found.....

Also what is this activity known as "washing the bike"?

It's almost like you are saying I should be nice to my bike!???

Why do the repair people mention rot then? I took this meant rust or decay from damp. Therefore the new thicker wire lasts better etc.

I'm really curious of the real cause as the Beta can't be the only bike that gets condensation but it is the one that suffers the most.