Fim Very Very Quiet?

Would seem to me having kids ("young people") AND their parents ("older people") interested in trials is the ticket. Yes, the parents/older riders have the funds to buy bikes, but as ducati996 said, lots of them spend that money on their kids - there isn't a lack of spending in the MX community for the kids. This idea that trials should simply focus on one demographic or the other seems a bit short-sighted. The Trials industry needs to engage at all levels, not just one.

• Like 2

Would seem to me having kids ("young people") AND their parents ("older people") interested in trials is the ticket. Yes, the parents/older riders have the funds to buy bikes, but as ducati996 said, lots of them spend that money on their kids - there isn't a lack of spending in the MX community for the kids. This idea that trials should simply focus on one demographic or the other seems a bit short-sighted. The Trials industry needs to engage at all levels, not just one.

Correct,we sold one of his bikes he still has the other because we ride with some friends up the woods but we dont compete anymore and yes we have gone to MX,as for financing my ambitions ?,we finished with trials because our local clubs dont have any interest in the youth and are not very helpful hence the lack of youth riders down here.

MX always seemed like a big Pit Party with a couple of 20 min. rides thrown in to give you a reason for being there....I guess that's OK, but if you want to

ride with your kid.......and all day no less, Trials has MX beat by a by a country mile.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly. The reason I posted was that so many on here were pontificating about "youth is the future" as if concentrating on and appealing to the youth end would save the sport. Focusing on any one demographic would be suicide for any business however every business must analyse it's customers and potential customers and whether it's by buying a bike and supporting a youngster or buying and riding themselves we have to appeal to the person spending the money and that's the middle aged bloke with that disposable income we have talked about. Trials should and must be inclusive which is why what happens at the WTC is irrelevant to the sport as a whole. I have been very heartened recently by one young man in particular who started trialing about 3 years ago and I have watched him progress at our trials and his ability has grown by leaps and bounds with the support of his parents along with his uncle who also rides and is where he got his interest from. His uncle has now built him a BSA Bantam and this 11 year old is leading the Clubman Championship, ok after only one round but come on he's doing great, showing a lot of the old hands how it should be done. He loves his sport and has grown into a young adult at only 11 and you forget how young he is in the queue with the banter and craik he has with the rest of us old farts. If only more could emulate this it's amazing how the sport of trials can make you grow not only as a competitor but also as a sportsman and a man. As his dad once said to me "a muddy boy is a happy boy" still makes me smile.

Edited by old trials fanatic
  • Like 1

I feel Trials is more than just a competition,it's a day out,it's a social event. A chance to meet other like minded people with similar interests.

A lot of lads come along not because they've any great riding asperations they just want too be part of it.

Most of the most popular riders in our club have little talent,but great pesonalities and add so much too the event.

Anyone coming along just for the riding is missing the big picture.

We run modern trials,but on the easy side,this seems to be the way forward here,just helping each other ,having a good time,not getting caught up in details.

• Like 1

MX always seemed like a big Pit Party with a couple of 20 min. rides thrown in to give you a reason for being there....I guess that's OK, but if you want to

ride with your kid.......and all day no less, Trials has MX beat by a by a country mile.

Bl**dy ell you ride an MX bike for 20 mins you will want to stop to.When my boy was doing trials he used to ride all day and i used to run around after him which was one of the gripes i had with our local clubs,1 mile lap 5 laps = 5 miles i would have to run,push ,pull and pick my lad up for, on asking the club if we could make it easier by doing first section 5 times and moving on,making it now 1 mile there answer was always no,so maybe you can see why i found trials less than enjoyable and why spend a couple thousand pounds a yr on something you dont enjoy.With MX we at least wont have that problem.

Bl**dy ell you ride an MX bike for 20 mins you will want to stop to.When my boy was doing trials he used to ride all day and i used to run around after him which was one of the gripes i had with our local clubs,1 mile lap 5 laps = 5 miles i would have to run,push ,pull and pick my lad up for, on asking the club if we could make it easier by doing first section 5 times and moving on,making it now 1 mile there answer was always no,so maybe you can see why i found trials less than enjoyable and why spend a couple thousand pounds a yr on something you dont enjoy.With MX we at least wont have that problem.

Do you run round behind him when he's racing ? Sounds harder than trials !

Do you run round behind him when he's racing ? Sounds harder than trials !

Dont know whether you have a peanut as a brain but a Motocross track is a bit different to a trials circuit,sometimes the terrain between sections is harder than the section itself.

Motocross defiantly sounds like the sport for you.

So tell me b40rt what bit of my comment could you not understand,maybe you think its acceptable for the parents to be running 5 miles after there kids,as long as you dont have to do it,with narrow minded people like you involved in trials then yes i think we made the right decision to go to MX and i can fully understand why trials is in decline.

5 mile run might get some of the aggression out of you !!

Yea, i could be like you then chilled out doing the friendly sport of trials,but of course there is nothing friendly about trials you only have to look at this forum to prove that ,nothing but arguing by the same people,now go and have a look at an MX forum and find the arguing,after you have done that go to welshtrials.com forum and have a look at the adults arguing last summer accusing each other of riding down a class in the welsh champs so that they can pick up trophies,gets quite heated,then if poss go back another yr and the same thing happens again by adults not YOUTH.You know the saying the proof of the eating,go and have a look.

There are some heated discussions on here about stop/no stop, other than that generally a fairly civilized bunch.

You need to enter your son in events that are appropriate to his age and stage, not change the event to suite.

There are some heated discussions on here about stop/no stop, other than that generally a fairly civilized bunch.

You need to enter your son in events that are appropriate to his age and stage, not change the event to suite.

OK,but i have seen arguments on other threads which have nothing to do with stop/no stop & what events are they ?,surely it would be easier to let us do the section say 5 times and move on at least until he gets to an age where he can go round on his own, other clubs will allow it but sadly our local club wont.

Do you honestly think you would enjoy running around after you're lad for 5 miles sometimes in the pouring rain "it is wales after all"

How old is your son ?

i rode my first trial at 12

as a kid my dads routine was always the same. He put petrol in the bike and then sent me off. i might bump into him during the day but nothing was planned. I met lots of people through them picking my bike up but as the other guy said trials is a social thing. Running round after them is a recent thing and im not convinced its a good thing.

in all fairness we are miles off topic .....

• Like 1