Fim Very Very Quiet?

But the 40 plus generation are the ones keeping trials alive and if we really want to face the truths it has been for donkey years.

Trials has allways lost many of its youngsters at 16 or earlier and not allways for the reasons spoken about here, never mind maybe we will see them back in a bike in 25 years time.

• Like 1

Bilco has a point. Like many leisure persuits their future is determined by the number of middle aged men with disposable incomes they can attract. All this youth is the future would be fine if the youth actually stumped up the money to buy and compete. It's those same middle aged men with disposable incomes that sponsor the youths or spend it on equipment, in our case bikes etc, for themselves. If you are going to target anybody target them because there is also far more chance that they will stay with the sport than the youff market. As Bilco correctly says "But the 40 plus generation are the ones keeping trials alive and if we really want to face the truths it has been for donkeys years" question is why so many cant see that????? So like ham2 i'll put me tin hat back on.

Edited by old trials fanatic
  • Like 1

I think that many here are missing the growth of the OSET/Mecatechno mounted youngsters. From a couple of bikes the Organisers are now able to run their "own" Trials alongside the enlightened clubs who have embraced this "starter" end of the sport. The sport here is growing and it allows those with little technical skill to get on the ladder early. If half the riders keep going we have a strong future ahead of us.

• Like 1

that money was spent on proving Toni is the best rider bar none. Watched the indoor last night, spent more time on my phone. I loved the indoor stuff in the early days but that was dull last night. Manufacturers need to face up to the fact that they are contributing to the problem not the solutions at present by spending far too much on WTC.

All this talk about young riders being the future of trials got me thinking and finally got me in front of the keyboard. I'm not against having young riders involved in the sport; however, I don't think they are necessary to keep the sport going. I think some people are confusing what it takes to make a world champion with what it takes to keep trials going--to be world champion you have to start early, to keep the sport going you have to have money. The young riders may or may not stay--the ones that are riding for the fun of it are more likely to stick around than the ones wanting to be world champion. Most young riders probably leave the sport when it is time for them to start paying their own way or realize they're not going to be world champion. As a few others have already stated, the future of trials is with the people with the money.

Next thought: Is it possible we have started to box ourselves into a corner with our overly-specialized motorcycles and closed-course events? Could this be why entries are dropping off? Here in the U.S.A. we've never, at least to my knowledge, had road-based trials events--we have always been restricted to a single parcel of land. This makes it a more family-friendly sport and better for the young riders; but, it sure would be nice to ride around and see a little more of the countryside. Maybe the FIM and the manufacturers are onto something here. If modern trials bikes were a little more comfortable and could be used for a variety of purposes (on and off road), there may be a few more people interested in giving the sport a try. It wouldn't matter if the bikes weren't as competitive as the current lineup as long as every motorcycle met the same requirements. Here in the states we could possibly piggy-back on the already established dual sport events and really have some fun.

• Like 1

All this talk about young riders being the future of trials got me thinking and finally got me in front of the keyboard. I'm not against having young riders involved in the sport; however, I don't think they are necessary to keep the sport going. I think some people are confusing what it takes to make a world champion with what it takes to keep trials going--to be world champion you have to start early, to keep the sport going you have to have money. The young riders may or may not stay--the ones that are riding for the fun of it are more likely to stick around than the ones wanting to be world champion. Most young riders probably leave the sport when it is time for them to start paying their own way or realize they're not going to be world champion. As a few others have already stated, the future of trials is with the people with the money.

Next thought: Is it possible we have started to box ourselves into a corner with our overly-specialized motorcycles and closed-course events? Could this be why entries are dropping off? Here in the U.S.A. we've never, at least to my knowledge, had road-based trials events--we have always been restricted to a single parcel of land. This makes it a more family-friendly sport and better for the young riders; but, it sure would be nice to ride around and see a little more of the countryside. Maybe the FIM and the manufacturers are onto something here. If modern trials bikes were a little more comfortable and could be used for a variety of purposes (on and off road), there may be a few more people interested in giving the sport a try. It wouldn't matter if the bikes weren't as competitive as the current lineup as long as every motorcycle met the same requirements. Here in the states we could possibly piggy-back on the already established dual sport events and really have some fun.

Twin shock and pre 65 are what your looking for !

• Like 1

What Happens when we have no more "Old" riders left? The Elixir of Youth has yet to be found!!! Perhaps we should be asking why riders of the calibre of Danny Macaskill stay on their Bicycles in the UK whereas in Spain they seem to translate more of them to Motorcycles?

Lots of middle aged riders have contacted me in the past who for various reasons have decided they would like to give Trials a try. Some have decided riding their road bike is just too dangerous nowadays but still hanker for the thrill of riding a motor cycle. Others see it as a progression from trail riding as more and more trails get closed. Some are just changing discipline however one thing unites them all they are at a point where they have a disposable income and they are going to spend it on something. It may be golf clubs or a fishing rod, shotgun, longbow, mountain bike whatever but they can AFFORD it so we need to encourage them to bring their pot of cash our way. Perhaps along the way they might get their children interested then again they might just be looking for some time on their own away from the wife and kids. Whatever one fact remains kids don't buy bikes you need money for that and it's only when you target the sector that has money do you make a sale. That's true in all business transactions. Incidentally I have also had a LOT of people tell me about how they tried the sport but found it beyond them. Often I have talked them into giving Classic events a try and again often this has worked because they have found it achievable. I'm not saying Classic events is the future but making the sport more accessable and also at entry level at least achievable has got to be the way to go. What happens at WTC is to all intents and purposes irrelevant to the sport as a whole. That's the same no matter what age you are.

• Like 2

Lots of middle aged riders have contacted me in the past who for various reasons have decided they would like to give Trials a try. Some have decided riding their road bike is just too dangerous nowadays but still hanker for the thrill of riding a motor cycle. Others see it as a progression from trail riding as more and more trails get closed. Some are just changing discipline however one thing unites them all they are at a point where they have a disposable income and they are going to spend it on something. It may be golf clubs or a fishing rod, shotgun, longbow, mountain bike whatever but they can AFFORD it so we need to encourage them to bring their pot of cash our way. Perhaps along the way they might get their children interested then again they might just be looking for some time on their own away from the wife and kids. Whatever one fact remains kids don't buy bikes you need money for that and it's only when you target the sector that has money do you make a sale. That's true in all business transactions. Incidentally I have also had a LOT of people tell me about how they tried the sport but found it beyond them. Often I have talked them into giving Classic events a try and again often this has worked because they have found it achievable. I'm not saying Classic events is the future but making the sport more accessable and also at entry level at least achievable has got to be the way to go. What happens at WTC is to all intents and purposes irrelevant to the sport as a whole. That's the same no matter what age you are.

Yes you are right OTF kids dont buy bikes......but the parents do,you know the ones with the disposable income that are going to spend it on something but would rather spend it on there kids rather than themselves. Whats the difference between me buying a trials bike or buying my son a bike,still a bike sold and a trial entered.
  • Like 1

Yes you are right OTF kids dont buy bikes......but the parents do,you know the ones with the disposable income that are going to spend it on something but would rather spend it on there kids rather than themselves. Whats the difference between me buying a trials bike or buying my son a bike,still a bike sold and a trial entered.

I thought you had sold your kids trials bikes and bought MX bikes, due to no one in trials wanting to finance your ambitions for your kids.

• Like 1

I thought you had sold your kids trials bikes and bought MX bikes, due to no one in trials wanting to finance your ambitions for your kids.

Correct,we sold one of his bikes he still has the other because we ride with some friends up the woods but we dont compete anymore and yes we have gone to MX,as for financing my ambitions ?,we finished with trials because our local clubs dont have any interest in the youth and are not very helpful hence the lack of youth riders down here.