4Rt - What's It Like On The Road?

johnnyboxer

A question for the lads who ride them in the Scottish, what are they like on the road?

What sort of speed will they maintain on say 10/41 gearing?

Anybody tried a 36t on the rear, to speed them up a bit

Thinking they would make a better bike than a Beta Alp/Scorpa T ride/Radonnee perhaps with a long ride seat/tank perhaps

Edited by johnnyboxer

fastest bike on the road as standard and does it easy,managed to delaminate my back tyre when i was late one year,i'd get a hebo fork aux tank and carry a litre in a bag,get you a few miles.certain mine was doing 60 mph+ when needed.

Edited by asc

I run 10 /41 all the time and done 1 SSDT on a 4rt. Superb on the roads and having a little oily pump thing instead of 2 stoke mix you in safe hands protection wise. Probably also most fuel efficient trials bike -especially as a 250.

• Like 1

I've got the long ride seat/tank on my 4RT sometimes to ride on the road and the 10/41 gearing and 45mph is a nice cruising speed.

It wil do 55mph but I don't know if it's good for the bike to do this for a longer time...

Had one of the first 05 models and remember it being pretty good on the road but it wasn't so good on fuel. It ran dry on the Thursday morning run from FW up to Chairlift before the first fuel stop and I was definitely not thrashing it. Being relatively new I didn't know how reliable it was going to be so it was nowhere near flat out, just cruising. Also ran dry later in the day but at least it was within pushing distance of the fuel stop. It ran dry in the Lakes 2 day later that year as well. No idea why, it was absolutely standard spec.

Couldn't touch the TYZ for making up time on the road though which would do a snatch over 80 and it would do it all week long when needed.

..............................Couldn't touch the TYZ for making up time on the road though which would do a snatch over 80 and it would do it all week long when needed.

80? :blink: on a 5psi back tyre? You've got a pair of solid brass ones.

• Like 1

Actually it was a very stable bike and was brilliant fun on the road. Gave a Golf GTI a hard time round the switchbacks of Moidart one year and had fun with a bunch of trail riders on big KTMs another. I'd punctured the rear up on the Ben one year and didn't have time to fix it but it was also doubtful I'd be able to limp back to FW in time either, so I'd resigned myself to exclusion, having had a miserabale week fitness wise with back and wrist problems. Anyway, coming down off the Ben, Alan Sagar was just about to set off having seen Paul through. He flagged me over and offered me Paul's spare wheel to get me back. He set off in the van leaving me to fit it. Never forget his face as I steamed past his van a few miles further down the road. The rear had 20 - 30psi in it and the TYZ was really singing on that occasion.

Worst bike I rode in Scotland on the road was a '98 315 which wanted to knock itself apart during roadwork and needed constant throttle adjustments to keep it running clean and from knocking. The 4RT was a huge improvement over that thing and was quite relaxed on roads and forestry tracks.

• Like 1

20-30 psi would help it corner well I bet, my 98 315 was a lean-knocker 'til I fitted the carb' mod kit (different slide angle I think?).

I've held back from this comment for years but it seems fitting now: I know of a good rider who showed me the best aspect of a 4rt in top gear, he could eat a pie whilst going at full bore between sections one handed. :P I was seriously impressed B)

my two best bikes on the road were a 303 fantic in 88 and the tyz in 98/99.

In 88 Glen Scholey was near me on an rtl. As a much better rider he left me for dead on the moors. on the road the rtl did about 40, i was doing 70 at least ! nothing passed me, the bike was geared up so every section was first but it flew.

the tyz on standard gearing was rapid, you could hold it flat out with the choke on. We left fersit and were late and my mate says i think we'll lose time. He had a 270 GG, i put the choke on and was crossing the road on foot in the town when he arrived !

• Like 1