2K To Spend On First Trials Bike

felixdamouse

Hi guys,

i am looking to venture into trials for a year or two in between a break from motocross and i'm looking to spend max £2500 on my first trials bike. i have settled on a 250 but i am just needing to sort out what brand. I am currently looking at a 2011 sherco 250 which is within my budget or a 2010 gasgas which is more than i want to spend.

Are sherco's unreliable or inferior to gas gas as i have read some things on the net some love em and some hate em. (we get this in mx aswell)

is there anything to look for in buying a second hand trials bike? similar to motocross second hand?

are sherco traditionally alot cheaper than gasgas?

thanks in advance. and any other help would be appreciated

Edited by felixdamouse

If you buy a gasser nobody will say...."why did you buy a gasser?"

If you buy a Sherco people might ask the question....

I don't think theres much to choose between them, its what suits you..try before you buy as they say.

Good Luck

I came from mx a few years back now and have owned a gasgas, sherco and a beta, all of which were good bikes in their own way. I had no major issues with any of them but they all rode quite differently.

As everyone will probably tell you your best bet is to go along to a trial or two, ask a few "silly" questions and try as many as possible. Me personally I have become quite attached to the beta....... mainly for it's amazing amount of steering lock

Good luck with your decission and take your time.......

Oh and yep the rev4 is a four stroke

Edited by tjp

Steering lock = how far the handlebars turn before hitting the stop. The beta has a little more "lock" allowing for a tighter turning circle than the gas gas' and sherco's i've ridden.

i recently got a 2010 250 gasser for your budget, proper love it but i tried all the other types and found gasser felt best for me (probably because i have only ever ridden gas gas) get whichever bike feels nicest to ride for you, perhaps try going to a dealers and rideing a few around before buying.

i didn't think i would notice that much of a difference in the way the bikes felt but they really were words apart..

Like all the posts before mine "ride a few if you can and buy the one that suits you" Also try different sized motors of those bikes and get one that fits your riding style.

All trials bikes will hold up well if proper maintenance is done, it is just different things that need to be done more often for each brand of bike. and they all have their own quirks.

• Like 1

I second the 200!

If I were you I'd get a ride on both 250s and also find a 200. Just a 2 min spin around a car park will let you know which one feels nicest. That's the one to buy.

All trials bikes have "issues" compared to MX bikes as they are just not as well finished/tested before release for some weird reason. Good maintenance resolves 99% of issues though and the remaining 1% is all common fixes which everyone has so no big drama. These can range from stator on the beta (cheap to fix for good) or a gear box on the Gassers (not cheap to fix). I can't comment on the Sherca's er sorry Shercos as I've not owned one but they look nice and from what I have seen are good at finding traction. This might be handy when you need to go back and pick up the bits that have fallen off (joking).

Buy the best condition best feeling model you can. I went from 520 KTMs, 450 MX and an XR 600 to a GG300 Raga. It was an animal that I was glad to see the back of (inside actually as the gear box exploded on me and trashed the cases when the shift drum split). I then rode a 200 beta rev 3, paid for it and have never looked back. It flatters the rider without punishing mistakes.