Gas Gas 280 Pro Opinions

fred garvin

Greetings all,

I am new to this trials stuff, and have located a 2010 Gas Gas 280 pro to use as a first trials machine. It looks to be in good condition and is from a local trials club. In my research, I have found mixed opinions as to the use of this as a first bike. I have been on dirt bikes/off roading, and many street miles since 1972 so I hope there will be some cross over to trials. I am looking for some know how here to advise if this is a good starter or if there might be something else I should consider. Thanks.

Reality is it is a terrible first bike. A `04-`05 sherco or beta 200 or 250 would be better. Plus side is once you conquer the 280 you will hate everything else! The only thing that will cross over is the location of the controls! Have fun, and don't give up as it is the most fun on two wheels!

Lineaway, why would you consider it a terrible first bike? Not trying to be argumentive; just curious....

I'm likin' the heck outta that exact bike. It's my first trials bike, and I ride at the (lower) Novice level. I don't feel it's too much much bike, too quick, or anything else like that....I put the S3 Low Compression head insert in the thing to make it easier for my knee when starting the bike. Also have a flywheel weight, and really like that deal as well. The flywheel weight was meant to be a slight aid in starting, as much as what aI figured would be an aid for someone at my skill level.

The only really negative items I can think of on the bike are the starting gears; I've had some trouble with those. But that was MY FAULT when I tried to start it while it was stuck on a stump, not really the bikes fault. And my compression adjuster broke really easily. I guess I'd say certain parts of the bike are way more "fragile" than I think they should be, but it's all in an effort to reduce weight. There's a trade off there......

Jimmie

The 280 will be fine, there's loads of mods to take the edge off the power if you first find it to be a handful.

You can tame a bigger motor fairly cheaply, but you'll spend a fortune tuning a smaller engine up, and it'll never have the torque of the bigger motor.

Lineway - what makes this such a terrible bike?

Fred, I have one its my first modern trials bike and I get on fine with it.

Their are many ways to tame it if necessary with a smaller front sprocket and a slow action throttle. Its reliable and parts are easy to get hold of. I really rate it - I tried the others and any of them would have been great but i liked the feel of the gas gas. I obviously can't say if it would suit you but i would certainly ignore advice that writes off anything as terrible when so many people are using them at all levels. Give a few a go then buy what you like best.

I said it is a terrible choice for a first bike. Hard hitting, quick handling and poor gripping are not 1st on a new riders list. If you paid any attention to my 3rd sentence you would know that I get along with it just fine. Lastly it is the worst bike made as for reliability. And the one`s that argue against that statement have not split the cases yet!

I almost agree with Lineaway (mark the date in infamy)... But 280 is GREAT depending on your size, 250's are nice, and there are some "I have to admit" issues you might have with the "cutting edge" leader production trials bikes, that you might not have with older Sherco's (IMHO the ones he pointed you too are just like our old 1999-2003 plain old TXT models. There are some parts that are lightweight, but by 2010 ( I still have our 2010 300 Raga Pro) that seems to have made a slight progression away from broken kickstarter/Idler gear issues...

IMHO 2 things about buying a bike, being NEW to the sport has some to do with your experience and your buddies/club friends you have riding trials. Here in KS, I live near the Importer for gasgas, there are lots of GG's per capita of riders near me. I notice Texas/Oklahoma there are still more gasgas riders than BETA/SHerco/Honda/Scorpa/Ossa combined. But texas probably has more riders total, and I saw more than 3 Scorpa's lol, unlike around me, NOBODY has had one.

It helps if there are people that can and will help with issues. Just like me, I can help with GG, but I know "jack crap" if you ask me about any of the others, except you know generic ideals that transcend any bike...

I think that 280 would be great in 2 reguards, even if you have to 'tune it a little. low compression head is a step higher than you might need to go, but flywheel is wise IMHO for ANY newbie, Jet the bike a little on the FAT side, the delorto isnt nearly as snappy on the bottom end as the Kehin that is sold on RACE & RAGA models.

250 of the same era (07-2013) would be nice, but if you are a bigger boy I wouldnt want anything less than a 280 by the time I got even say, winning the novice class regularly, when that time comes you will be in control of the bike IMHO and would probably take out some thing like the low compression head.

I watched a guy that found a really nice 200, he'd move down to it from his older 280, the 200 plunked and died on a rocky side hill section which side hill'd him and he fell a long way. the 280 wouldn't have died, but then again proper technique on even a 80cc trials bike, you can do anything (video is my proof of that point)!

BTW that was the same section I rode 3 times, I dropped 4 points on that "Smokey and the Bandit Sherrifs voice" Some-Beach" I was embarrassed to admit it even before I saw this video...

Edited by sting32

I watched a guy that found a really nice 200, he'd move down to it from his older 280, the 200 plunked and died on a rocky side hill section which side hill'd him and he fell a long way. the 280 wouldn't have died, but then again proper technique on even a 80cc trials bike, you can do anything (video is my proof of that point)!

BTW that was the same section I rode 3 times, I dropped 4 points on that "Smokey and the Bandit Sherrifs voice" Some-Beach" I was embarrassed to admit it even before I saw this video...

Just curious.. what level do you call this section?

Regarding what bike stalls easyer I disagree. I have had all sizes of engine. In chronologic order: 270, 200, 300, 125, 200, 280, 200 and now 250 . The 300 was the bike stalling the most. The 280 didnt ride much until I foud it too much. Even the 250 I ride now stalls on me often. The 200`s cant even remember it stall once. Maybe sounds strange, but the reason I believe is that I ride the bigger engines on low revs. The 200 and specialy the 125 you have to rev high.

-Jan

Just curious.. what level do you call this section?

Regarding what bike stalls easyer I disagree. I have had all sizes of engine. In chronologic order: 270, 200, 300, 125, 200, 280, 200 and now 250 . The 300 was the bike stalling the most. The 280 didnt ride much until I foud it too much. Even the 250 I ride now stalls on me often. The 200`s cant even remember it stall once. Maybe sounds strange, but the reason I believe is that I ride the bigger engines on low revs. The 200 and specialy the 125 you have to rev high.

-Jan

Jan,

This is Sunday section #6 of the Sooner Cup in Oklahoma last Sunday and is the "Intermediate" line, which is in the middle of the class structure (Novice/Amateur/Senior Amateur/Intermediate/Senior Expert/Expert/Master/Pro). The rider is U.S. Trials Champion, Pat Smage on the TY80 who

kindly agreed to ride the section while I shot this video. I told Pat that he should never get a 5 on this bike because if he gets in a bind, all he has to do is just

pull up sharply on the bars and walk out the exit.....:)

As for stalling, if you set the idle speed in gear with the clutch lever pulled back normally (usually against the knuckles) this usually helps.

Jon

Unfortunately the video starts at the "mid way" trough the section. That section has part we've faced before, and I love all but the finish rock... That last rock is deceptive, as you jump up it, your tight against some trees, Trust me, the camera, filming with National Champ Pat Smage, on ty80 just doesn't show it. Course that day, I'm probably the only person to fight that finish rock ALL 3 loops... which is not usual for me at least, lol.

JSE, any tips for riding with cracked or bruised ribs? LOL, When I sneeze I see stars if not passing out for split second, but I have to make this weekends rounds.

Unfortunately the video starts at the "mid way" trough the section. That section has part we've faced before, and I love all but the finish rock... That last rock is deceptive, as you jump up it, your tight against some trees, Trust me, the camera, filming with National Champ Pat Smage, on ty80 just doesn't show it. Course that day, I'm probably the only person to fight that finish rock ALL 3 loops... which is not usual for me at least, lol.

JSE, any tips for riding with cracked or bruised ribs? LOL, When I sneeze I see stars if not passing out for split second, but I have to make this weekends rounds.

"JSE, any tips for riding with cracked or bruised ribs?". Yep, have your Doctor write a prescription for "Old Bushmills"

That exit rock, as you say, was quite deceptive and just about all the Intermediate/Senior Expert riders had trouble with it, it took a lot of points. The trees just above it were directly in your way unless you got the perfect angle to the left and just shaved the tape. The TY80 short wheelbase was probably a lot easier to handle there than a full-length bike.

Jon

My opinion on what bike to choose. You have some experience on motorcycles, so you know where the controls are. But you may also understand about how power is delivered to the rear wheel. Bike choice for trials in my opinion depends more on your style of riding than on engine size.

My opinion on "modern" trials machines.

125CC = Rev the HELL out of it and use PROPER technique and you will move forward a few inches.

200CC = Have not had any experience with these I will just "assume" it to be a mid ground of the 125 and 250CC

250CC = A little bit of low end torque, but still need to rev it a bit to do stuff

270CC-280CC = Decent amount of low end torque don't need a whole lot of throttle to get over most beginner/Intermediate obstacles, still need to rev it up to "bigger" stuff

300CC = Tons of low end torque, it will GO over anything beginner/intermediate with minimal throttle input. Just a little more throttle and you will make it over "bigger" stuff. If you really twist the throttle it will RIP your arms off and launch itself in the air.

And each manufacturer's different sized motors react a little bit different in regards to how they rev up, how hard/fast power hits etc.. Also I think the different frame geometry of different manufacturers gives a different "feel" of how the motor reacts.

And like others have said it is relatively easy to tame down the bigger bore bikes.

So Bottom line.......... try as many different sizes and brands you can and buy the one that "fits" you.

(If you can't tell I am a big fan of the 300CC GasGas, but it is a ton of motor that may get away from a noobie real quick)

My opinion on what bike to choose. You have some experience on motorcycles, so you know where the controls are. But you may also understand about how power is delivered to the rear wheel. Bike choice for trials in my opinion depends more on your style of riding than on engine size.

My opinion on "modern" trials machines.

125CC = Rev the HELL out of it and use PROPER technique and you will move forward a few inches.

200CC = Have not had any experience with these I will just "assume" it to be a mid ground of the 125 and 250CC

250CC = A little bit of low end torque, but still need to rev it a bit to do stuff

270CC-280CC = Decent amount of low end torque don't need a whole lot of throttle to get over most beginner/Intermediate obstacles, still need to rev it up to "bigger" stuff

300CC = Tons of low end torque, it will GO over anything beginner/intermediate with minimal throttle input. Just a little more throttle and you will make it over "bigger" stuff. If you really twist the throttle it will RIP your arms off and launch itself in the air.

And each manufacturer's different sized motors react a little bit different in regards to how they rev up, how hard/fast power hits etc.. Also I think the different frame geometry of different manufacturers gives a different "feel" of how the motor reacts.

And like others have said it is relatively easy to tame down the bigger bore bikes.

So Bottom line.......... try as many different sizes and brands you can and buy the one that "fits" you.

(If you can't tell I am a big fan of the 300CC GasGas, but it is a ton of motor that may get away from a noobie real quick)

It is a torque pig! I would bet you never get over half throttle! You are overbiked! :blush: