Beginners Trial

bambam_n_chunx

1st time ive whinged about a trial as ive marked them out in the past and know its a thankless and time consuming job but todays beginners trial was a joke.

I even phoned to ask before making the 2 hr trip if it would be suitable for a 1st timer (my son) as its taken me 10 yrs to get him interested and after 1 lap struggling on it looks like he`ll never go again. The 1st two sections were ok but then it started getting silly.

Im not hiding behind a computer to make this comment its just I thought it best to wait until id calmed down a bit incase I upset anyone. I just wanted to make a point and I know I wasnt the only one who had problems as there seemed to be quite a few people in the same boat and certainly a few people made similar comments.

1st time ive whinged about a trial as ive marked them out in the past and know its a thankless and time consuming job but todays beginners trial was a joke.

I even phoned to ask before making the 2 hr trip if it would be suitable for a 1st timer (my son) as its taken me 10 yrs to get him interested and after 1 lap struggling on it looks like he`ll never go again. The 1st two sections were ok but then it started getting silly.

Im not hiding behind a computer to make this comment its just I thought it best to wait until id calmed down a bit incase I upset anyone. I just wanted to make a point and I know I wasnt the only one who had problems as there seemed to be quite a few people in the same boat and certainly a few people made similar comments.

NO one can comment unless you say where the trial was which club,,?? sounds like it was set too difficult/ ..

Sorry to hear your story, ours is very different. I took my 13 year old for his first ever trial on his BSA Bantam and found Somerton Classic MCC who ran 3 beginners trials. The best thing ever, very helpful club members who helped him at ever section and came and talked to him. He loved it and we have now done the third and final event and he is hooked.

The club run a 'C' route at events for him and others who just want to ride or are no good - yes, like his Dad. Come down for a weekend and do their events. Bath Classic MCC also do the same. The Classic and Twinshock clubs seem to understand what riders want.

Hope your son comes back for more.

Sorry to hear about your problems!

Try Manchester 17 club their easy trials are very well organised and even run a conducted course. They will assist and give valuable tips and help. Ive got two lads riding through their easy trials series.

Hope this helps

Happens even to the best of them. Ripon's first round this year had to be moved and the conditions certainly didn't help but it has put off a lad I know from going back. He decided to give the second round a miss and practiced at Tong instead. Trouble is when a few New riders go along and don't come back.

• Like 1

I know what you mean mate. Enthusiasm can get the better of the course plotters.

Bradford Club do the perfect series for your lad.

The WBS summer series.

Its on a wednesday evening and it's aimed at the absolute beginner, with a second slightly trickier course for the clubman/novice who just wants a good ride out.

It suits small wheelers and electric too.

Check out the club website: bradfordtrials.org

He'll love it

Hey Ron

I don't know you but I reckon you also have massive balls to write your comments about the beginners trial.

As organisers we have all ballsed up on occasions but I bet you have put on more cracking events than bad ones but people seem to comment less on those.

Don't let one bad one put you off matey as the sport needs guys like you that will set sections and also act as CoC, if the protesters feel that bad they will talk to you but after your comments I would hope they shake your hand and say "we'll give you a hand next time".

Cheers

Hi Bambam-n-chunx,

reading between the lines here, sounds like, Dad wants son to go trialing, son doesn't want to.

TLTEL

Thanks for the negative input, the whole point of me waiting 10yrs for him to give it a go is so I dont end up being another of the redfaced idiots who shout at their kids cause they cant do it. When I think of all the trials ive missed because kiddo wanted to go fishing or skateboarding or mountain biking instead.

Its his choice to try the sport not mine. Biting like a scrapyard dog is good for the soul.

Yes I have to admit its good of ron to admit his mistake and I certainly wont hold a grudge against bradford or him.

Hi

For my input, why dont you try a lttle closer to home ? Me and my son (whos C class, 11yrs) did the Consett trial at Butsfield yesterday and it was excellent on the easy route. I know that most of the Consett/Stanley saturday trials tend to be a little on the easier side.

The Consett/Stanley Wednesday night series are also good easy trials.

Other option are the Richmond 'Easy Clubman' trials - these have a 'Beginners Easy' route aimed at kids from 9 yr to adult. They follow the main route but tend to have an easy out option. I found it an ideal way to move my son from TY route up to the 'Big Course'

cheers

John

Edited by john b

bambam-n-chunx

As I said, just reading between the lines,it wasn't a" bite", just observation.

When my son started riding (I think he was eleven) nothing would have stopped him wanting to ride.

I hope you can find somewhere that he can get to practice where he is comfortable, not sure how your begginers trials work up your way, but I did one yesterday in Kent, they set out 4 routes and you pretty much ride what you want.

Some small lads where just riding between the sections, great way to learn the basics.

TLTEL

Suspect I was at the same practice in Kent - what a brilliant place. I'm a complete beginner and there wasnt much I could do in the marked sections although I did find one which after everyone else had moved on I could just keep going round and round until I got it. It was just good to be able to practice on banks / roots / cambers etc and have a go.

Not sure what to do next though as I dont think I'm up for a proper trial ( i'll be asked to move on and get out the way I think !) but I need more practice like that. Best fun I've had in ages though..

Snobbly, I assume you were at Chads Farm,

If you want to progress, try a Trial that has a yellow begginers route, you can always miss out a section if you don't like the look of it.

I think there is a practise trial at Canada Hieghts soon too.

What were you riding?

TLTEL