Piston Inspection

yammafan

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this looks like scoring on the piston or if it's just the oil dragging across the surface? Throttle got stuck wide open the other day. Kill switch wouldn't work so a friend put his hand over the exhaust to stall it.

It seemed to run fine after this but after another 4 sections went back to the van, tried to start it again but it wouldn't go. Also some comments made about it looking a bit smokey. Spoke to my local shop would said get the exhaust off and have a look turning the engine over slowly.

post-17461-0-79492300-1368213028_thumb.jpg

post-17461-0-06874100-1368213070_thumb.jpg

post-17461-0-53404900-1368213136_thumb.jpg

How do I check the compression? It is just a case of kicking the bike over? If so then it feels the same as pre-incident.

I've changed the plug as a matter of course. The old one looked like this.

post-17461-0-65017900-1368214820_thumb.jpg

Haven't carried out maintenance before (or trials!!!!) so not sure if this is good or bad condition!

Metal transfer is very obvious and I cannot see any on your skirt

I think your top end is fine

Engine failure does not explain your no start problem, maybe that keyway that Copemech mentioned

You may be able to see the keyway on both the crank and flywheel after you remove the nut

Piston looks fine, rings maybe not going off the evidence of blowby below the bottom rings at the sides.

Sometimes the rings lose their tension after a major hot moment such as a bike lying on its side revving until it starves of fuel, can remember NZ's top rider's 315 being like that when he first started riding due that happening lots in his first season

What age is the bike, could be due them by now

Agree that the key will be the issue, doesn't happen very often but the symptoms match

I can tell this is not a new bike, as the bolts for the pipe are verticle. Piston looks good and bike did not sieze, reports compression on kicker feels normal. No report of excess rattle after.

Exhaust port is clean as well, no excess carbon build, so me thinks this a gently ridden bike on pure synthetic oil. A bit of ring blow is to be expected, tarnishing the sides of piston, no excess on yours.

Copemech Agreed! :thumbup: I felt guilty after taking the pics but couldn't resist a quick inspection before cleaning it. :ph34r: It's sparkling now!

Anyway...fitted a new plug, put it back together and......started second kick from cold (as always)!

Glad it's running, BUT...I don't know if its just me but it does feel a bit more 'vibey' when ticking over and I thought I heard a very occasional metal 'knock' from the engine when warm and revving it hard.

I'm fully aware this could just be me looking for something that's not there but is there anything else that's worth checking i.e. the carb?